inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Alright.

Filter sock holder that I painstakingly found in white to color coordinate the sump plumbing is nice and sturdy. But with the skimmer taking up so much room and my drain pipe being very long, the holder is pretty much useless as I won't be able to remove the socks with ease. Drawstring socks to the rescue. How do you hold those up though?

Alright.

Filter sock holder that I painstakingly found in white to color coordinate the sump plumbing is nice and sturdy. But with the skimmer taking up so much room and my drain pipe being very long, the holder is pretty much useless as I won't be able to remove the socks with ease. Drawstring socks to the rescue. How do you hold those up though?

...shorten the drain line? Or use lawas PVC contraption

cut the drain pipe 2-3 inches before the filter sock. Use a coupler without gluing it in. Whenever you need to change socks just pull it apart and remove sock. That's what I do on my setup.

You can also use a union if you want it to look nicer. Just undo the Union whenever you need to change socks.

• Like 2

cut the drain pipe 2-3 inches before the filter sock. Use a coupler without gluing it in. Whenever you need to change socks just pull it apart and remove sock. That's what I do on my setup.

You can also use a union if you want it to look nicer. Just undo the Union whenever you need to change socks.

It's a vinyl pipe, not PVC.

jedimaster1138

I was going to comment on salt stuff, but then the thread moved away from salt before I could type it. Anyway...

I performed the "how much phosphate is in ESV salt mix" test last night. This has been a hot topic on the interwebs recently.

New batch of RO/DI water, circulating for a day. PO4 = 0.00

Mixed up ESV salt, as per instructions in the above mixing doodle, with the above water. PO4 = 0.17

Interesting.

PS I used mix for 10g worth of saltwater, but probably used around 11g of water. I intentionally wanted a softer batch to combat salinity creep in my reef. So if you were to use ESV mix and go for the full 1.026 / 335 ppt, expect an even slightly higher PO4 reading.

I just ordered 160g worth of hw-MarineMix. Go Germans! Go massive BRS doorbuster sale. I'll report back next week.

• Like 1

You can still add a union to vinyl I would imagine. Most custom sumps have a union over the filter socks for this exact reason.

:wub: why aren't you on my speed dial?

I found this online (still looking for the rest of the fitting)

400-1940%20Iso.jpg

I was going to comment on salt stuff, but then the thread moved away from salt before I could type it. Anyway...

I performed the "how much phosphate is in ESV salt mix" test last night. This has been a hot topic on the interwebs recently.

New batch of RO/DI water, circulating for a day. PO4 = 0.00

Mixed up ESV salt, as per instructions in the above mixing doodle, with the above water. PO4 = 0.17

Interesting.

PS I used mix for 10g worth of saltwater, but probably used around 11g of water. I intentionally wanted a softer batch to combat salinity creep in my reef. So if you were to use ESV mix and go for the full 1.026 / 335 ppt, expect an even slightly higher PO4 reading.

I just ordered 160g worth of hw-MarineMix. Go Germans! Go massive BRS doorbuster sale. I'll report back next week.

Are you serious?! That is messed up. I used ESV for a while, I thought it mixed up well, the tank liked it. I was running phosphate remover so it probably took care of the excess phosphate, but that's just nuts.

jedimaster1138

It mixes up great. Clean as a whistle. When I was using IORC, I used to have to clean out my bucket every 3 or 4 batches of 10g. Since I've been using ESV, I've cleaned out my bucket 0 times....that's about 250g of water. Absolutely 0 residue.

But apparently the salt is high in PO4 and godknowswhatelse which is the real reason i'm not using it anymore. I'm basically terrified of it now. If there's a majorly high amount of PO4 in there, what else is there and is this why my reef has been bollocks since I switched to it about 6 months ago?

• Like 2

I'm ghetto in my fixes. My solution: stick a hook on the side of the sump and tie off the drawstring. Either that, or cut back the vinyl cause it is flexible you can manipulate the tube when you need to yank the sock.

• Like 1
NorthGaHillbilly

no, the ones with the plastic ring. Why? your tank over flowed due to a filter sock?

with the sock attached by the drawstring the water has nowhere to go like it does with the ring type, as they will just overflow. Id try and come up with a way to use the standard socks

• Like 1

with the sock attached by the drawstring the water has nowhere to go like it does with the ring type, as they will just overflow. Id try and come up with a way to use the standard socks

If the drawstring is just used to hold up the bag, not to tighten it t the pipe, would this still happen. Wouldn't the water overflow through the top of the filter sock which would be loose into the sump?

jedimasterben

this.

NorthGaHillbilly

If the drawstring is just used to hold up the bag, not to tighten it t the pipe, would this still happen. Wouldn't the water overflow through the top of the filter sock which would be loose into the sump?

In theory you could make it work, you could also cut a slit on the bag up close to where the draw string goes, but having a standard sock a few inches below the rim of the sump would be the best IMO. I've been using a mesh sock, drawstring style, on my main drain every few days recently as I dont get near the build up of no3 using the mesh over the felt'ish socks, but ive got two other back up drains.

Sons of Anarchy marathon. This is my first time watching the series.
Where the #### you been? That is one of my favorite shows besides Dexter and Breaking Bad.

And TWD

Lol the final episode is in a few days, I guess I should start watching it too :P
Not on tonight final episode in Dec.
  • Like 3