Coral Vue Hydros

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Since you aren't just trying to seed nitrifying bacteria, at this point (if wanting to dose bacteria), I'd use MicroBacter7.

Along with, pods, phyto and sillicate dosing it's a recommandation from the FB dinos help group.

I have this: "Nutrafin Cycle - Biological Aquarium Supplement | Dyno" https://www.dyno.ca/produit/nutrafin-cycle-supplement/?lang=en

But it's more to start a cycle.

Regarding SpongExcel, it seems it needs to be dosed a lot since it's diluted. That's not from me but from an admin on the FB group. (Sorry for citing another source)

FB_IMG_1630068077635.jpg

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Again, (if you wish to dose bacteria at this point)  I'd consider MicroBacter7 better than DrTim's One & Only, or Nutrafin Cycle. 

Help me understand, why would I NOT want to dose bacteria? I'm trying to fill the void created by dino-x.

M. Tournesol
28 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Help me understand, why would I NOT want to dose bacteria? I'm trying to fill the void created by dino-x.

You could instead choose to put in a live rock from someone else tank/the ocean or dose phytoplankton 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It's not so much why NOT to dose bacteria, as I don't believe (if following the directions) it will do harm; but more so, if dosing bacteria would actually be helpful.  After dosing an algaecide, I'd say that dosing MicroBacter7 is probably a good idea (although possibly not necessary).

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
33 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

You could instead choose to put in a live rock from someone else tank/the ocean or dose phytoplankton 🤷‍♂️

Isn't that risky? (The rock)

It would have to be fully cycled (undetectable ammonia) prior to adding it.  It would still contain the bacteria, pods, and biodiversity which would be beneficial.

• Like 1
M. Tournesol
12 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Isn't that risky? (The rock)

Your are speaking to someone who as started a 100% live rock tank and that's still trying to cash the bonus mantis shrimp 🤣.

Seriously, if it comes from another hobbyists without a lot or better no pest, it should be ok.

Dinoflagellates will necessarily be reintroduced into your tank (frag plugs).

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • Like 1
Kindanewtothis
On 8/27/2021 at 10:09 AM, M. Tournesol said:

Your are speaking to someone who as started a 100% live rock tank and that's still trying to cash the bonus mantis shrimp

Oh right the mantis! Great thread btw.

Edited by Kindanewtothis
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

Really sorry, did not want to mess with your article thread @seabass. Did not know where to ask my questions about the phyto cluture so I did a little bit of both (here and in your tread).

Thanks for the advices about the pump, that could have been a mess.

Edited by Kindanewtothis
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

For those not following, I started a phyto culture.

I started it in a 4 liters bottle using 3oz of phyto feast live so it's really dark/brown. I don't know how it will look when ready to use.

20210827_212300.jpg

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Some trace of dinos on the sand bed, mostly cyano and also white sand.

Going forward with a fourth and most likely last dose of dino-x tonight.

After that, the plan is to add carbon, run the lights normal schedule and dose MicroBacter7.

They say to resume water change after one week.

After the water change, I'll add pods, start dosing phyto. 

Not planning to dose SpongExcel.

20210828_112953.jpg

20210828_112948.jpg

20210828_112934.jpg

4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

For those not following, I started a phyto culture.

I started it in a 4 liters bottle using 3oz of phyto feast live sonit's really dark/brown. I don't know how it will look when ready to use.

20210827_212300.jpg

You move fast.  An ambitious Reefer.  Someday I'll probably mess with Phyto like that, but I move at a snails pace compared you.  Enjoying the thread !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
6 minutes ago, DevilDuck said:

The name of the store is the most ironic thing I've seen in a while 🤣

Hahaha it is. Worst store but they sell cheap things.

Kindanewtothis

The war between dinos and me has claimed a victime at the dino-x battle: one turbo snail. Hermits were having a feast on it, took it out.

I've lost snails before so I don't know if its the dinos, dino-x, both or something else that killed it.

20210828_141304.jpg

• Sad 1

I do have extra rocks I could give you if you feel like driving to montreal. I could also give you the hammer frag, I also have 2 easy sps mini colonies I could give you 🙂

Kindanewtothis
7 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

I do have extra rocks I could give you if you feel like driving to montreal. I could also give you the hammer frag, I also have 2 easy sps mini colonies I could give you 🙂

That might be possible, I'm still on vacation next week. Let me get back to you. That is really generous of you. 

39 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

That might be possible, I'm still on vacation next week. Let me get back to you. That is really generous of you. 

No problem 🙂 i know how hard this hobby (or should I say obsession lol) can be. It's a small tank I'm turning into freshwater so you could take all the water and put the rocks and corals in buckets. Die off would be very limited. The rocks have been seeded with pods, and will be seeded again this week 🙂 just send me a message and if you have messenger I'll be happy to chat 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)