ReefCleaners.org

Kindanewtothis
Just now, seabass said:

You can read through this: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/526/snails

Think herbivorous snails such as: Astraea, Trochus, and Nerite

However, if actually diatoms, they usually bloom until the silicate runs out, at which point they are no longer a problem.

Ok thanks, when I saw some dinos I dosed 10 drops a few days ago... maybe I can stop dosing spongexcel

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok thanks, when I saw some dinos I dosed 10 drops a few days ago... maybe I can stop dosing spongexcel

Others with more experience can chime in, as I still consider myself a newbie, but it seems to me that you are trying to micromanage your tank a bit too much. I've felt the urge, but am running my tank on the shoestring budget.  But whenever I inquire at my LFS what I'm experiencing, the owner tells me not to worry so much about the things that are concerning me.  Just to let the tank mature.

My 10 gal isn't not the most attractive tank ( low coral stocking ), but really haven't had to chase anything or buy products to solve issues.  Just time mainly.  My biggest gripe today is the little spiral filter worms on glass and rock.  But if I had more corals in the tank, I think they would probably not be noticeable. 

When I was looking I even saw some of those white filter worms at the LFS store, and those reef tanks are beautiful and full of life. 

• Like 4
filefishfinatic
Just now, Jakesaw said:

Others with more experience can chime in, as I still consider myself a newbie, but it seems to me that you are trying to micromanage your tank a bit too much. I've felt the urge, but am running my tank on the shoestring budget.  But whenever I inquire at my LFS what I'm experiencing, the owner tells me not to worry so much about the things that are concerning me.  Just to let the tank mature.

My 10 gal isn't not the most attractive tank ( low coral stocking ), but really haven't had to chase anything or buy products to solve issues.  Just time mainly.  My biggest gripe today is the little spiral filter worms on glass and rock.  But if I had more corals in the tank, I think they would probably not be noticeable. 

When I was looking I even saw some of those white filter worms at the LFS store, and those reef tanks are beautiful and full of life. 

those spirobid worms are benefical but ik damselfish eat them. they are. agood indicator of bilogical maturity. you are kinda doing the same thing as he is. 

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

Yeah I know, I was way less hands on this tank, but I panicked when I saw dinos

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

On the other hand, the 50g have not look so good in a while now. The tank' walls stay clean. Just recleaned the sandbed before dose #3 of dino-x.

I don't know if it will come back but dino-x do kills dinos.

20210826_145736.jpg

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

those spirobid worms are benefical but ik damselfish eat them. they are. agood indicator of bilogical maturity. you are kinda doing the same thing as he is. 

I'm annoyed by them, but not actively trying to fix things.  Riding out the calendar and watching.

I mainly ask questions of things I don't understand, making mental notes and learning the hobby as I go.  

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

but it seems to me that you are trying to micromanage your tank a bit too much

Also I'm bored 😉 haha

• Haha 2
Kindanewtothis

I still had my doubts that it was just diatoms, and ,even if my previous sample shown only few dinos, I took another sample from the 10g and saw more dinos... Might have a problem idk anymore. I'll keep on adding pods every few weeks and dose phyto and I'll let it run a few days without anymore cleaning or water change. There are bubbles on the rocks like when it started in the 50g

20210826_170739.jpg

20210826_170743.jpg

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I still had my doubts that it was just diatoms, and ,even if my previous sample shown only few dinos, I took another sample from the 10g and saw more dinos... Might have a problem idk anymore. I'll keep on adding pods every few weeks and dose phyto and I'll let it run a few days without anymore cleaning or water change. There are bubbles on the rocks like when it started in the 50g

20210826_170739.jpg

20210826_170743.jpg

Are you sharing anything between tanks? That includes scrapers, cloths,buckets, siphons?

Because that can transfer dino's and even disease. 

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Are you sharing anything between tanks? That includes scrapers, cloths,buckets, siphons?

Because that can transfer dino's and even disease. 

I have transfered a rock a while ago (the royal gramma incident) but that's it. 

Kindanewtothis

4 days between the 2 pics.

What I did in between:

-Did a 6 liters water change (that might be what triggered the dinos)

-Dosed phyto (more than usually)

-Dosed 10 drops on spongexcel

-Added 250ml of pods

-changed the lighting 

20210822_143727.jpg

20210826_143534.jpg

46 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I have transfered a rock a while ago (the royal gramma incident) but that's it. 

So each tank has all its own cleaning supplies

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, Tired said:

Dinos are thought to be present in most tanks, they just don't multiply until/unless the conditions swing their way. 

My nitrate and phosphate are high though.

Kindanewtothis

I'm starting to think this was maybe the last dose of dino-x last night. I'll see when the light are full on but for now I cannot see dinos in the 50g. 

I've read about people succeding after only 3 doses. Fauna Marin says 10 to 15 for a big infestation.

20210827_072258.jpg

20210827_072311.jpg

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Certainly looks promising at this point.

Yeah the question is what percentage of this is cause by the semi-blackout.

Kindanewtothis

@seabass do you use Dr. Tims or microbacter 7 or a equivalent? 

Sorry in advance if you already recommend it in the past.

I was recommanded using it after dino-x (with pods and phyto)

filefishfinatic
17 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

On the other hand, the 50g have not look so good in a while now. The tank' walls stay clean. Just recleaned the sandbed before dose #3 of dino-x.

I don't know if it will come back but dino-x do kills dinos.

20210826_145736.jpg

honestly i dont see much dinos. mabye buy some caleurpa or even possibly introduce another nusciance algae that you KNOW you can control

9 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

@seabass do you use Dr. Tims or microbacter 7 or a equivalent?  Sorry in advance if you already recommend it in the past.  I was recommanded using it after dino-x (with pods and phyto)

Since you aren't just trying to seed nitrifying bacteria, at this point (if wanting to dose bacteria), I'd use MicroBacter7.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)