inTank Media Baskets

4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I lost a chromis a few weeks ago and they are now 5. No idea what happened to the 6th one and I never withessed any agression in the group.

It's the weirdest thing.  You don't really see them fight, but I believe that they stress each other out as part of their instinctual hierarchy behavior.  In much larger groups, it might be spread out amongst more fish, reducing the stress on individuals.  I'm not really sure.

However, I suspect you'll end up with one.  It's a shame, because a group makes for a nice display.

Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, seabass said:

However, I suspect you'll end up with one.  It's a shame, because a group makes for a nice display.

I hope not, now they all follow the yellow tang around. It reminds me about these small fishs that follow sharks🙂

• 2 weeks later...
Kindanewtothis
On 3/28/2023 at 3:40 AM, seabass said:

It's the weirdest thing.  You don't really see them fight, but I believe that they stress each other out as part of their instinctual hierarchy behavior.  In much larger groups, it might be spread out amongst more fish, reducing the stress on individuals.  I'm not really sure.

Down to 4 this morning...

• Sad 2
Kindanewtothis
On 4/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Down to 4 this morning...

Found one of the missing chromis... on the floor...

17 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

New kid on the block

20230408_162119.jpg

You can name hime Tankbuster!!   He'll take you through your tank upgrade to 200+ Gallons before you know it!

In the mean time, hopefully he's got a taste for hair algae!  It happens!!

3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Found one of the missing chromis... on the floor...

👎

Kindanewtothis
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

You can name hime Tankbuster!!   He'll take you through your tank upgrade to 200+ Gallons before you know it!

Live aquaria says 180 gallons and aren't they a little bit on the safe side?

20230409_131940.jpg

Kindanewtothis
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

In the mean time, hopefully he's got a taste for hair algae!

It does! Even longer hairs.

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Sometimes.  But other times their recommendations are much too small.  What size is this tank again?  For some reason I was thinking it was a 120.  I feel that many of the recommendations for this fish are too small; some say at least a 6' long tank is required.  It'll be an 18" fish when mature.  I imagine that it might pick on your other tang.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
13 minutes ago, seabass said:

Sometimes.  But other times their recommendation are much too small.  What size is this tank again?  For some reason I was thinking it was a 120.  I feel that many of the recommendations for this fish are too small; some say at least a 6' long tank is required.  It'll be an 18" fish when mature.  I imagine that it might pick on your other tang.

Well, looks like I will someday need to upgrade or rehome it. Thanks for the heads up. The tank is 48×24×24.

It's not picking on the yellow tang, it is actually the other way around. Added it to the tank yesterday and closed the lights until this morning. They seems to both be calming down. 

The naso must be about 3-4" and the yellow is bigger but only when fully "open".

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The Naso is a WONDERFUL fish with a lot of personalty.   Excellent choice as far as that goes!   They are a large variety though....so he'll be able to be as territorial as he wants to be.  They aren't usually an outright a**hole though.

They are up there in the same size class with (eg) the Vlamengi Tang.  A true tank buster.  

A 180 Gallon would be a nice minimum tank size....if there were very few other tankmates and not too much rock, it could be passable.  👍

A 240 Gallon or larger would be much better.  

One Naso I was able to get to know pretty well lived in a massive 15+ foot tank (with a Vlamengi and a few other 'busters, etc), and that didn't seem like too much space.  But he was HAPPY.   So...the bigger the better with any fish like this.  

120 isn't a bad starting point at all, but you'll want to give this fish (and yourself!!!) a nice upgrade sooner than later.   🙂 👍😁😁

• Like 1