Pod Your Reef

Kindanewtothis
4 hours ago, Murphych said:

To be fair that's how I point my primes, so the light doesn't spill as much into the living room. 

Also I'm sitting to the right to work so this way I'm not blinded by the LEDs.

filefishfinatic
6 hours ago, Murphych said:

To be fair that's how I point my primes, so the light doesn't spill as much into the living room. 

a precarious situation...

Kindanewtothis

Clear water (no foam at the surface), glass stayed cleaned after yesterday's morning clean up. Not much dinos under the microscope but still some present and alive. Rocks are clear, just some algae and some cyano. Just a little bit of dinos and some some cyano spots.

Opened the lights a minute to take pictures.

20210825_085329.jpg

20210825_084954.jpg

20210825_084951.jpg

20210825_084948.jpg

20210825_084946.jpg

20210825_084942.jpg

20210825_084925.jpg

I sure hope it works for you (without any negative side effects).  Blackouts can do this on there own, so it might be awhile before you know exactly how effective the treatment is.

BTW, I placed some macroalgae in my tanks to try to seed more pods.  I'm surprised how much clearer the sand bed looks.  I'm not sure if it was the pods, or the macroalgae, or both.  Could even be just a coincidence, and the tank has just progressed to the next stage. :unsure:

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

I sure hope it works for you (without any negative side effects).

Thanks, for the moment neither the fishs or the corals seem to care.

18 minutes ago, seabass said:

Blackouts can do this on there own, so it might be awhile before you know exactly how effective the treatment is

According to Fauna Marin, a big infestation can take 10 to 15 doses (so 20 to 30 days). I have read about people succeding with only 3 doses. For the moment, I can't wait to see the sandbed in a few hours when the lights will have been fully on for a while.

23 minutes ago, seabass said:

BTW, I placed some macroalgae in my tanks to try to seed more pods

Ok, what kind of macroalgae? So big algaes that you buy?

1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok, what kind of macroalgae? So big algaes that you buy?

I just ordered a couple of different Caulerpa (Caulerpa paspaloides and Caulerpa prolifera) that they had in stock.  I don't believe there was anything special about the particular species.  However, I wouldn't recommend adding algae when dosing an algaecide.

2 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

dont just dose snake oils

Yeah, it's a long thread, but we've gone through that already.

• Haha 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

However, I wouldn't recommend adding algae when dosing an algaecide.

Of course, I'm planning for after and for the 10g.

Kindanewtothis
21 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

It all started at the beginng of june but I thought it was cyano at first. The beginning (positive i.d.) is on june 23rd (page 27)

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

?? What are you suggesting ?

That it's a product of limited value which is promoted as a solution to a problem.  But in this case, it's an algaecide rebranded as a dino cure.

Does it actually work?  Apparently it works for some people and/or some strains of dinos.  Dinos share a lot in common with other micro algae species.  Therefore, one might conclude that an algaecide might be able to effectively treat dinos.  However, dosing algaecides can affect other lower life forms and set tanks back in terms of maturity.  In some cases, it can even create an ideal environment for another dino bloom.

I haven't used it, so I'm basing most of what I'm posting about Dino-X on what I've read about it.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Of course, I'm planning for after and for the 10g.

If you keep it well pruned, Caulerpa prolifera can be an attractive addition to an open sand bed area.  Watch that you don't let it take over.  Also, it will consume a lot of nutrients (which can be good, or bad).  Some people use it in a refugium specifically to reduce excess nutrients.

M. Tournesol

I am sorry @Kindanewtothis but I need to rent.

29 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

@filefishfinatic, why would you use the terms of snake oils? do you know its definition?

Snake oil is a term a term used to describe deceptive marketing, health care fraud, or a scam. (link)

The product work in some situation. Which means you are speaking bollock.

Yes, different methodologies exist for treating Dinos and yes the technique used by @Kindanewtothis may not be what you would have used, but this does not mean that you have the right to be disrespectful of its choice. 

One, you do not know everything. 
two, A reef tank can be run with a lot of different methodologies.

Please, be respectful and humble 🙏.

Edited by M. Tournesol
  • Like 2
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

If you keep it well pruned, Caulerpa prolifera can be an attractive addition to an open sand bed area.  Watch that you don't let it take over.  Also, it will consume a lot of nutrients (which can be good, or bad).  Some people use it in a refugium specifically to reduce excess nutrients.

Good to know, don't hesitate to post a picture. I'd like to see the looks of it.

3 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Good to know, don't hesitate to post a picture. I'd like to see the looks of it.

Will do.  In my case, I just stuck it in some open sand, not paying much attention to creating a nice aquascape with it.  So it isn't particularly attractive at this point.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
On 8/22/2021 at 11:36 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Phosphate 0.07

Nitrate 4.3

I'm thinking phosphate will go up once I start using dino-x since what consumes it will be dead. Do I make any sens? (Excluding the fact that I will use dino-x of course...)

But what about nitrate? How will nitrate react?

Starting the dino-x light schedule. 6 hours a day including ramp up and down.

Phosphate 0.25

Nitrate 6.5

Phosphate did go way up.

Dying phyto and other algae are going to release their nutrients.  Organics will likely increase as well.  This might even cause a bigger cyano bloom.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)