Coral Vue Hydros

12 hours ago, rough eye said:

cyano is really easy to deal with. blow it loose then suck it up with a turkey baster and blow it onto your filter floss. 

Thanks I'll try that.  I have recently switched from sponge filter to filter floss and I have been noticing that every three days one side of the filter floss pad is quite brown.  Maybe it helps with DINO too.  

i've had tiny patches of cyano here and there nearly all the time. i don't bother with it. it waxes and wanes based on how clean the water is, i suppose. and i'm not sure but i think the astraea snails might eat it.

Kindanewtothis
On 8/6/2021 at 12:35 PM, Clown79 said:

You could put corals in the 10g for holding and once the 50g is on track, transfer them into that tank.

Going to candy corals tomorrow:

"Candy Corals" https://candycorals.ca

I need suggestions about a coral that would survive in the 10g (I only have a amazon LED lights on it) before eventually going in the 50g. 

I would like something to put high in the tank, so closer to the lights. 

Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Going to candy corals tomorrow:

"Candy Corals" https://candycorals.ca

I need suggestions about a coral that would survive in the 10g (I only have a amazon LED lights on it) before eventually going in the 50g. 

I would like something to put high in the tank, so closer to the lights. 

Any ideas?

Depends on the lights output. Do you have a link to the light?

Kindanewtothis
8 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

That's a Fresh Water light.  Good for growing Plants in FW aquarium.  I've got a similar less featured NiCrew lightin planted tank that works for growing FW plants. 

Probably good for growing Algae in SW tank. :biggrin:

Wonderful...

The zoas in the 10g don't seem to care.

This all smells like a new AI prime 16hd for the 10g also... Wanted to keep it a budget tank... oh well!

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Wonderful...

The zoas in the 10g don't seem to care.

This all smells like a new AI prime 16hd for the 10g also... Wanted to keep it a budget tank... oh well!

There are budget lights that are made for reefs

5 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07F815LFX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_QWEY1RH8X4XFNRYBQVE3

About this one? I would have to remove the top on the tank (still need to find a way to cover my tanks, no too much of a DIY guy)

That light is for reefs, i don't know much about it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0727V8C5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_glt_i_QY7SP0J70K3CB77B1Z1B

I know many on here use this one ^

As for lids. Its fairly easy to diy one using window framing kit and 1/4 mesh. 

You can google diy mesh aquarium lids and you'll find tons of info. 

The other thing you can do is glass top but would need a different light.

4 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

So, if I get a better lamp for the 10g, any recommandations for a coral? 

Anything thats not listed as expert only. 

Depends on what you like. Since the 55g is having issues, you could work on getting corals for the 10g and house a couple for the 55g.

Blasto's are great and come in beautiful colours.

Acan lords, ricordea mushrooms, fungia plates, leathers, hammers, frogspawn, are all fairly easy.

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Anything thats not listed as expert only. 

Depends on what you like. Since the 55g is having issues, you could work on getting corals for the 10g and house a couple for the 55g.

Blasto's are great and come in beautiful colours.

Acan lords, ricordea mushrooms, fungia plates, leathers, hammers, frogspawn, are all fairly easy.

I'll be there in a few minutes, got my eyes on a hammer frags pack.

filefishfinatic
On 8/18/2021 at 5:11 PM, Kindanewtothis said:

Ok, don't get hangry anyone but for discussion take a look at thia post for 2015:

dino are easy to kill imo. heat to 82 dont dose lower flow dont do water changes

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

dino are easy to kill imo. heat to 82 dont dose lower flow dont do water changes

I tried 83 for like a month... did not change a thing, haven't change water since June.

filefishfinatic
1 minute ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I tried 83 for like a month... did not change a thing, haven't change water since June.

did you use dry rock? get some gulf live rock from salty bottom if you wanna kill dino. all the snake oils dont work

Kindanewtothis
29 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

did you use dry rock? get some gulf live rock from salty bottom if you wanna kill dino. all the snake oils dont work

No wet rocks.

filefishfinatic

so did they have like algae and sponges and other things encrusted on them or was it just white rocks. dry rock is bad for aquariums outside of sump/refugium media, sedimentation beds, and new structure. i dont think the risk of hitchhikers should be taken seriously because almost all live rock has no pesrts like aptasia.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

so did they have like algae and sponges and other things encrusted on them or was it just white rocks. dry rock is bad for aquariums outside of sump/refugium media, sedimentation beds, and new structure. i dont think the risk of hitchhikers should be taken seriously because almost all live rock has no pesrts like aptasia.

They had not much on them, these rocks were not as good as I thought.

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)