Pod Your Reef

Kindanewtothis

Ok here's a stupid question (you guys are used to it now) 

What water do I use to dip my corals? The one from the bag or from the tank ?

Kindanewtothis

Just got back home. At first sight the 50g seems to have more cyano and less dinos.

I don't think I'm going the dino-x way. 

But if I remove the cyano would it just leave the place to dinos ?

20210821_143056.jpg

20210821_143101.jpg

20210821_143104.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

What water do I use to dip my corals? The one from the bag or from the tank ?

Either, but I usually use tank water, or newly mixed saltwater.  Looks like you got it sorted without me. 👍

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

The new lamp does not fit well because of the rim. Gonna have to figure something out... like I said I'm not good with DIY.

• Sad 2

Leave the cyano in. If it's on corals, blow it off with a turkey baster. Other than that, don't touch it- it's ugly, but harmless, and will be easy to get rid of after the dinos are gone. 

Hope the new corals do well. They should look nice once they puff up. Pretty scrunched right now. 

• Like 5
Just now, Kindanewtothis said:

Maybe with a small piece of wood instead of foam.

Acrylic instead of wood.

You could probably trim the protruding lip off too (but that's more permanent).

Is it a goose-neck light mount?  Is so, try mounting it in the opposite direction.

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Acrylic instead of wood.

You could probably trim the protruding lip off too (but that's more permanent).

Is it a goose-neck light mount?  Is so, try mounting it in the opposite direction.

I cut what I think you call the "protruding lip" (small plastic ledge) with a cutter. 

The neck cannont be mount in the opposite direction (screws have to be outside). It would work perfectly if they could be inside...

20210821_161548.jpg

Kindanewtothis
18 minutes ago, Tired said:

Hope the new corals do well. They should look nice once they puff up. Pretty scrunched right now. 

Already looking better and more puffed.

20210821_161730.jpg

20210821_161718.jpg

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
Just now, seabass said:

Did that help any?

Not really but it will if I can find a small piece of acrylic. Where do you get that? Hardware store?

plexiglass would work if it's thick enough. you could use a piece of wood, sealed in a zip lock bag, some tape wrapped around it to make it nice and neat so no loose bag hanging off of it.

also you can search amazon for "abs plastic stock."

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
30 minutes ago, rough eye said:

plexiglass would work if it's thick enough. you could use a piece of wood, sealed in a zip lock bag, some tape wrapped around it to make it nice and neat so no loose bag hanging off of it.

also you can search amazon for "abs plastic stock."

What about that?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000ILJZN4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_3VCKSH0CJX7GTXCJHMJ8

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, rough eye said:

sure, it's .25" thick. you could cut strips and glue/sandwich/laminate as many together as you need, to get the proper thickness, provided you have a way to cut it.

I got a miter and a circular saw, I suppose it would do. I only need 1" x 3"... would have plenny for other projects (like tossing it in the shed).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
34 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Regarding the homemade phyto would these bottle do? I'm asking because they are blue-ish.

It'd probably work out.  I'd think that a clear bottle would be even better.  I walked through the market and picked out my containers (poured the contents down the drain).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)