Pod Your Reef

Kindanewtothis

On a funnier note, one of the hammer fell down, it must be the mexican turbo, and I suspect the shrimp to be the one who took it and hide it under the rocks. One of the head did not like it. I did not put enough glue... will get more, I'm all out.

20210822_102735.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
Kindanewtothis

On a sader note, the first mushroom I bought (the orange one) is dead. It's rock is now completly cover by green hair algae, it might have just detached and bail cause it's not there anymore.

• Sad 1
Kindanewtothis

Phosphate 0.07

Nitrate 4.3

I'm thinking phosphate will go up once I start using dino-x since what consumes it will be dead. Do I make any sens? (Excluding the fact that I will use dino-x of course...)

But what about nitrate? How will nitrate react?

Starting the dino-x light schedule. 6 hours a day including ramp up and down.

Kindanewtothis
4 minutes ago, Tired said:

Well, I hope poisoning the tank works as you intend it to. 

I hope too. Already lost a coral anyway.

Honnestly, I would get rid of your sandbed first. That kind of dino goes in the sand at night, making it their "hideout". Destroy it!!! Mwhouhahahaha. Have you tried peroxide? I had success with it but that's my experience. Then if that fails, use dino x. I totally understand,  I think you're at the point where you need try something else.

And if you're Montréal let me know I have this poor hammer frag that's just surviving lol. I would give it to you 🙂

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Honnestly, I would get rid of your sandbed first. That kind of dino goes in the sand at night, making it their "hideout". Destroy it!!! Mwhouhahahaha. Have you tried peroxide? I had success with it but that's my experience. Then if that fails, use dino x. I totally understand,  I think you're at the point where you need try something else.

I did not try peroxide, you are the first story I hear that had success with peroxide. How much did you use? 

The information I found specifically regarding small cell amphidinium says that they go in the water column at night

8 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

if you're Montréal let me know I have this poor hammer frag that's just surviving lol. I would give it to you 🙂

Quebec city... I was in Montreal yesterday damn it. That would have been really nice of you.

Screenshot_20210807-210603_Drive.thumb.jpg.b7faa1d6fd2cdb9a982518c1a86ca32b.jpg

2 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I did not try peroxide, you are the first story I hear that had success with peroxide. How much did you use? 

The information I found specifically regarding small cell amphidinium says that they go in the water column at night

Quebec city... I was in Montreal yesterday damn it. That would have been really nice of you.

Screenshot_20210807-210603_Drive.thumb.jpg.b7faa1d6fd2cdb9a982518c1a86ca32b.jpg

My bad I think it's the large cell one. I was gonna write the comment about Montreal yesterday but got distracted!! Doh!!

For peroxide I don't remember but I found the info online. A quick Google search will do the trick. Like I said  it's not a miracle cure and will not work for everyone but I really think it helped in my case. I never went through all the hassle of adding tons of pods and dosing phyto. I got rid of my sandbed, did blackout and dosed peroxide and within 5-6 days dinos were gone. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Thank you all for your advices.

However, it's done. Just dosed 8ml of dino-x.

🤞🤞🤞

As a fellow Dino warrior, I've recently had " some " success with siphoning the DINO off my walls with 1/2" flex tube into bucket.  I let the DINO settle at bottom of bucket and use a cup to get about 80 percent of cleanish water back into my tank via the HOB filter with filter floss.  Whatever Dino comes along attaches to filter floss.  I change it every 3 days or so, and I'm taking alot of the DINO out with my filter floss pad.  One side is completely browned over when I remove it. 

My walls are not clear but have way more clarity to them.  The only downside I'm having is the Spirorbid worms coming back on the now more clear back walls.  I had an outbreak of them a while back and they had paired back naturally when the DINO came out.

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

I let the DINO settle at bottom of bucket and use a cup to get about 80 percent of cleanish water back into my tank

Once they regroup I find it's easier to filter these pest. What do you do for the 20%, you add new water?

14 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Once they regroup I find it's easier to filter these pest. What do you do for the 20%, you add new water?

Yep.

The bottom of the bucket is too full of DINO.  I get as much clear water as I can out and leave the rest.  I even put bucket on an angle to get more clear water out.  Maybe I got 90 percent, but there was a bit I flushed down the toilet rather than put brownish clumps back in my tank. 

I tried the coffee filter method - and that was an epic fail.  Filter paper clogged quickly and when I balanced the cup on corner of my tank to slow drip- it fell in 3 times before I gave up on that idea. 

I've changed out 3 dirty pads so far and it seems to be pulling the stuff out pretty well.  How fast / whether it will return in full force remains to be seen.  But so far, so good. 

Kindanewtothis
1 minute ago, Jakesaw said:

Yep.

The bottom of the bucket is too full of DINO.  I get as much clear water as I can out and leave the rest.  I even put bucket on an angle to get more clear water out.  Maybe I got 90 percent, but there was a bit I flushed down the toilet rather than put brownish clumps back in my tank. 

I tried the coffee filter method - and that was an epic fail.  Filter paper clogged quickly and when I balanced the cup on corner of my tank to slow drip- it fell in 3 times before I gave up on that idea. 

I've changed out 3 dirty pads so far and it seems to be pulling the stuff out pretty well.  How fast / whether it will return in full force remains to be seen.  But so far, so good. 

I clean the walls with a sponge and twist it to get the water and dinos out in a bucket. I don't filter that water anymore either.

• Like 1
Just now, Kindanewtothis said:

I clean the walls with a sponge and twist it to get the water and dinos out in a bucket. I don't filter that water anymore either.

Whatever works. 

I'm happy with the siphon b/c whatever gets loose from wall goes right in my bucket.  To me, Sponge sounds like it'd put some DINO in the water column.  

This thread has been a helpful one for me though.  Appreciate the active discussion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
9 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

This thread has been a helpful one for me though.  Appreciate the active discussion

This forum is a full part of what I like in this hobby, great community.

I try to detail what I do, it's also my way of taking notes. The community is really great, I would like you guys to see my tanks in person.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

Opened the lights 20 secondes to take a look. The lights are closed since 16h (4 p.m. in bald eagle 😋) and it's now almost 8h here so it might be just the effect of it, but the rocks are almost clear of dinos. 

The anemone worries me (not linked to dino-x), it hasn't open much in weeks now.

20210823_074820.jpg

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

feed the anenome

I've been trying to feed it mysis but it doesn't take much. I'll try something bigger.

Kindanewtothis
On 8/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, seabass said:

Micro Algae Grow is just Guillard's F/2 fertilizer, like https://canadaaquamarine.com/products/phytoplankton-fertilizer-f-2-guillard-medium

Just placed my order! Will go shopping for "hawaiian punch" or something like that 😉

Still have to find a rigid tube line and buy an air pump (was thinking of getting this one "Marina Cool Air Pump - 20 L (5.5 U.S. gal) | Dyno" https://www.dyno.ca/produit/marina-cool-air-pump-20-l-55-us-gal/?lang=en)

Kindanewtothis
On 8/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, seabass said:

Acrylic instead of wood.

You could probably trim the protruding lip off too (but that's more permanent).

Is it a goose-neck light mount?  Is so, try mounting it in the opposite direction.

Thrimed the lip, added high density polyethylene but this chinese lamp won't come to the right angle (but it's better than it was). I'm thinking of getting a second lamp to place on the other side since the lamp could not be place on the back wall (the lamp support is longer than the tank is wide even in the shortest position, ideal for 15 inch wide tank but not 12)

20210823_193714.jpg

20210823_193706.jpg

The mount looks good, but that angle is way off.  I don't see how to adjust the angle; I'd be tempted to just bend the arm up (which I don't like doing to new stuff).

Kindanewtothis
3 hours ago, seabass said:

The mount looks good, but that angle is way off.  I don't see how to adjust the angle; I'd be tempted to just bend the arm up (which I don't like doing to new stuff).

Exactly, the angle is not right and there is no way to adjust it which makes me want to add another one to eliminate dark zones due to the angle

• Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)