inTank Media Baskets

Kindanewtothis
On 9/4/2021 at 1:36 AM, seabass said:

You'll want a plankton sieve to separate the pods from the water

Could that be that one that I need. You said and I read 53 micron but I found this one that specifically says tisbe and is 120:

"120um PRO SIEVE Aquarium Plankton Collector Harvest Tisbe Pods Tigger Copepods | eBay" https://www.ebay.ca/itm/152109157902?hash=item236a698e0e:g:ypcAAOSwcedamKJq

No idea what is a micron haha

My rotifers get light 24hrs a day (same as my phyto culture).  However, I've read that half a day on and half a day off works for copepods; so without more research, that's what I'd do.

To be honest, I haven't cultivated pods besides rotifers, and haven't done that much research into culturing copepods like Tisbe.  Being non-photosynthetic, you wouldn't think that light is as critical as on your phyto culture.  However, I assume that the light helps keep their main food source (phytoplankton) alive and nutritious.

That said, I'd defer to the copepod articles, and do what they say.

1 hour ago, Kindanewtothis said:

No idea what is a micron

Micron (or μm) is short for micrometer, one-millionth of a meter.  A human hair is about 20 to 200 μm thick.  Without looking it up, I'm not sure what size Tisbe pods are.

I don't really know.  But that said, if 120μm works, then 53μm should also work.

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis
26 minutes ago, seabass said:

That said, I'd defer to the copepod articles, and do what they say.

Yeah but they don't all say the same. Some even say you need filtration or live rock. 

There is also the question of heat...

There will be some hit and miss I guess.

Kindanewtothis

I'm questionning the use of a small filter for the pods culture. I wonder if the pods get sucked in. There is juste the sponge at the intake, no pad in the filter so I suppose the pods get back to the tank by the outtake?

Some only use an airstone.

Kindanewtothis
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I use a rigid air line for flow for my rotifer culture.  But I suppose that if the flow is low enough, the sponge filter might be alright.

I'll see how it goes. If it doesn't work I'll use an air stone or just a rigid line... got 8 feet left anyway...

20210906_140536.jpg

Kindanewtothis

Regarding the 50g, more than 24 hours after the water change it kinda looks like I have more of a cyano problem than a dynos problem.

I know not everybody agrees but I think flow is a part of the problem, will see with the nero 3.

Apart from manual removal, any more tips on cyano?

20210906_140207.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Regarding the 50g, more than 24 hours after the water change it kinda looks like I have more of a cyano problem than a dynos problem.

I know not everybody agrees but I think flow is a part of the problem, will see with the nero 3.

Apart from manual removal, any more tips on cyano?

20210906_140207.jpg

I would try adding more flow personally. Whats in the Clean up Crew?

Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I would try adding more flow personally. Whats in the Clean up Crew?

The nero 3 is in the mail so that should fix flow.

Cuc: 5 mexican turbo

2 trochus

About 10 hermits 

My lfs is all out on snails, was thinking of ordering online trochus and astreas. But how many?

Kindanewtothis
On 9/5/2021 at 9:57 AM, Kindanewtothis said:

Also the big "brocoli" looks good, but it kinda looks more like my frogspawn than my other hammers. Is it just me. 

Last pic is the frogspawn.

20210905_095514.jpg

20210905_095613.jpg

20210905_095731.jpg

More pictures, is it a hammer or a frogspawn ?

20210906_142204.jpg

20210906_142207.jpg

20210906_142211.jpg

42 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

The nero 3 is in the mail so that should fix flow.

Cuc: 5 mexican turbo

2 trochus

About 10 hermits 

My lfs is all out on snails, was thinking of ordering online trochus and astreas. But how many?

Nice, i would try something like strawberry conch (We call the Strombus snails here too), nassarius and ceriths as they're sandbed species (mostly) 

33 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

More pictures, is it a hammer or a frogspawn ?

20210906_142204.jpg

20210906_142207.jpg

20210906_142211.jpg

Not a clue but its pretty 😍

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Nice, i would try something like strawberry conch (We call the Strombus snails here too), nassarius and ceriths as they're sandbed species (mostly) 

How many, I heard 1 per gallon ?

Kindanewtothis
34 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

1 Conch max IMO, few of each of the others (2-3) and see how you get on after a few weeks if you dont see improvement, Small measured changes

For both tanks (conch is for the 50):

20210906_154624.jpg

• Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)