Pod Your Reef

55 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i don't see why you should pick on filefishinatic. just because his filefish died after 8 hours, was wild caught and apparently ate brine shrimp. he should get many more.

Not picking on him lol.

but I've seen where the conversations tend to lead to and they shouldn't fill up the Op's journal🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i'm, sure the people here who advised you against trying a dino quick-fix didn't mean you shouldn't try 2, or even 3 or 4 quick fix treatments. i guess what you're saying is it didn't work?

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis
7 hours ago, rough eye said:

i guess what you're saying is it didn't work?

No the tank is not dino free, but at least their numbers have reduced a lot.

Now it seems that fauna marin recommands to use Red x after the dino-x treatment to fight cyano and I'm wondering if it could not finish the job with the dinos at the same time.

Not expecting a "go for it" from you guys but if you have information on red x, other than don't use it, I'm listening.

Fauna Marin RED X is supposedly made of three ingredients: water, sodium chloride and salicylic acid.  I don't know much about how it affects other inhabitants (or even cyano for that matter), as I hadn't heard of it until now.

No matter what the product, I would be hesitant to put in another product that is designed to kill something.  I prefer supporting life and competition, and achieving balance and maturity.

IDK, but since you've gone down another path, it's harder for me to say what will yield your best result.  I feel that ultimately, this is not the best way to achieve a balanced and mature tank.  However, will this get you past this current dino bloom and allow you to move on?  I'm just not sure... maybe. :unsure:

• Like 3
Kindanewtothis
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

Fauna Marin RED X is supposedly made of three ingredients: water, sodium chloride and salicylic acid.  I don't know much about how it affects other inhabitants (or even cyano for that matter), as I hadn't heard of it until now.

No matter what the product, I would be hesitant to put in another product that is designed to kill something.  I prefer supporting life and competition, and achieving balance and maturity.

IDK, but since you've gone down another path, it's harder for me to say what will yield your best result.  I feel that ultimately, this is not the best way to achieve a balanced and mature tank.  However, will this get you past this current dino bloom and allow you to move on?  I'm just not sure... maybe. :unsure:

Idk it seemed better than ChemiClean. It does not contain antibiotics. 

Still waiting on the Nero 3 to help with flow.

filefishfinatic

if you dont mind a completely sterile tank, a good way to kill dinos is either to turn your tank up to 125 degrees for a few hours, let it cool and re-cycle, add fish back. also, you can use CHLORINE bleach. REMOVE YOUR FISH. no additives, no easypour. just pure sodium hypochlorite. you add it then double your dechlorinator and aerrate a few days later. change some water to remove all the dead bristleworms and things. . this came from paul b and it was a method in the 70s. someone blamed him for killing their fish because they left the fish in but it was used to clean fowlr tanks. i am not telling you to do this or anything but these are good ways to kill everything in a aquarium.

• Sad 1
filefishfinatic
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Idk it seemed better than ChemiClean. It does not contain antibiotics. 

Still waiting on the Nero 3 to help with flow.

dont use more flow to kill dinos. use less flow. more flow helps them spread. if you add any trace or do watr changed, it helps the dinos. i have had dinos before and i did what i am talking about and i erradicated them. i might have like 3 floating in my tank. 

Kindanewtothis
13 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

if you dont mind a completely sterile tank, a good way to kill dinos is either to turn your tank up to 125 degrees for a few hours, let it cool and re-cycle, add fish back. also, you can use CHLORINE bleach. REMOVE YOUR FISH. no additives, no easypour. just pure sodium hypochlorite. you add it then double your dechlorinator and aerrate a few days later. change some water to remove all the dead bristleworms and things. . this came from paul b and it was a method in the 70s. someone blamed him for killing their fish because they left the fish in but it was used to clean fowlr tanks. i am not telling you to do this or anything but these are good ways to kill everything in a aquarium.

POql6zsXZbmcE.gif

2 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

dont use more flow to kill dinos. use less flow. more flow helps them spread. if you add any trace or do watr changed, it helps the dinos. i have had dinos before and i did what i am talking about and i erradicated them. i might have like 3 floating in my tank. 

It's not for dinos it's for cyano.

• Like 2
Kindanewtothis
2 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

you killed the dinos?

Well dino-x certainly did not help them. There are still dinos but less. I have a cyano, like a lot so it's hard to see if dinos are there more than I think 

Kindanewtothis
5 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

you killed the dinos?

Even if the tank was still full of dinos, bleach?!?

Would really have to take everything out and like you said that would make the tank sterile.

I know my use of dino-x is not popular, you called it "snake oil", but freaking bleach??? At least dino-x is intended for aquarium use.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

Even if the tank was still full of dinos, bleach?!?

Would really have to take everything out and like you said that would make the tank sterile.

I know my use of dino-x is not popular, you called it "snake oil", but freaking bleach??? At least dino-x is intended for aquarium use.

Bleach is known to kill Dino but it also kills all that wonderful bacteria, micro fauna, life in the tank- so definitely this isn't something highly recommended.

Using bleach is generally done when those who have given up on the dino fight, decided to tear down a tank, and start completely fresh. Basically meant for equipment and empty tanks.

• Like 2

Wow, FF quoting from a book that is 50 years old.

Things have changed allot since then Sunshine. If you want to boil your tanks or bleach them go ahead, but stop suggesting others do that nonsense.

• Like 1
filefishfinatic
4 minutes ago, PeterU said:

Wow, FF quoting from a book that is 50 years old.

Things have changed allot since then Sunshine. If you want to boil your tanks or bleach them go ahead, but stop suggesting others do that nonsense.

i am quoting a book by one of the most experienced aquariusts of this day and he is quoting a book from the 70s 

filefishfinatic

you could send him a mean letter but unless you have been keeping fish sucsessfully since 1952, or your last name is cousteau, he wont awnser (his words not mine.)

18 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i am quoting a book by one of the most experienced aquariusts of this day and he is quoting a book from the 70s 

😂🤣 😂🤣 😂🤣 😂🤣 okay sunshine, whatever.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

FWIW, reading more recent SW books, it seems like folks in the 70's were not known for having successful fish or reefkeeping methods.  Lots of livestock was lost prematurely in those years of experimentation. 

Wars used to be fought with swords and muskets too, but you don't see them much on the battlefield today.  They would be pretty ineffective and leave alot of carnage behind.  

• Like 5
filefishfinatic
5 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

FWIW, reading more recent SW books, it seems like folks in the 70's were not known for having successful fish or reefkeeping methods.  Lots of livestock was lost prematurely in those years of experimentation. 

Wars used to be fought with swords and muskets too, but you don't see them much on the battlefield today.  They would be pretty ineffective and leave alot of carnage behind.  

i agree, it may not be the most effective thing ever but if its desperate. id do it. 

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i agree, it may not be the most effective thing ever but if its desperate. id do it. 

I'd do a second, and complete this time, Dino-X treatment before using bleach but your tank your choice.

• Like 1
  • Kindanewtothis changed the title to Kinda's Large Tank Adventure (LTA)