Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

banasophia

banasophia
3 hours ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

But this is for conservation/science/happiness in a yuck time!  

Well I did mention it to the hubs last night and he agreed at first he would have to kill me, but then when I mentioned there could be something that can be used to attract and catch the babies when they emerge, then just put them in an easy macro tank he did reply “interesting”... 🤔

Maybe if the new RODI 7 stage filter I just ordered actually works and I have unlimited water... 

• Like 2

I don't know for sure if an easy macro tank would work, I'd suggest you do some research first, but it's what comes to mind at first. You'd have to find out what the babies eat, and what conditions that food likes. 

• Like 1
banasophia

Also, Evo 5 peeps, ya’ll may already know this, but just in case you don’t, I just figured out that the surface skimmer doohickey from InTank that comes with the media rack works to hold the rack against the false wall, and also adjusts the water level so it’s higher in the display and then drops down into the first chamber and the filter floss can work properly. The water kinda oozes in there which isn’t great, but it’s definitely an improvement.

And I emailed with @StevieT and he said the Spec 16 water director will fit the tank and help get the water to pour out and onto the filter floss better, so I’ll be ordering one to test it out. 

9208933B-8592-4267-BE9E-EAF14A0DA26A.thumb.jpeg.b78f94cdab3f7336993d69abe21b4059.jpeg

• Like 5
banasophia
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So what exactly are you feeding your Gobies out of interest?

Am looking for a fish for the 5G was thinking TSB but A LOT of Poop with those...

TSBs are pretty awesome too! 

I feed Sustainable Aquatics hatchery diet pellets.. all my fish love them, including my mandarin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
banasophia
41 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

So what exactly are you feeding your Gobies out of interest?

Am looking for a fish for the 5G was thinking TSB but A LOT of Poop with those...

The only problem is that the nassarius snails do not seem interested in them... I have to add a little frozen to the tank to get them to emerge from the sandbed. 

• 2 weeks later...
banasophia

Sad news is that I lost two beloved fish in this past week. 😞 I lost Brienne, my pink streak wrasse that was in my Biocube 32, earlier in the week, she just disappeared and I haven’t been able to find any sign of her. 

And last night I discovered Rose, from this tank, sucked up against the back of my powerhead. So sad losing fish... especially sad about Rose since she was the female in my mated pair. Jack seems confused, and seems to be looking around for her. 😢

• Sad 8
debbeach13

I am so sorry to read this. Losing one is bad enough but two and part of the breeding pair. For some reason I thought your power head had some sort of guard on it. Again sorry for you loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
banasophia
41 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I am so sorry to read this. Losing one is bad enough but two and part of the breeding pair. For some reason I thought your power head had some sort of guard on it. Again sorry for you loss.

Thank you. 💛 I bought a nero guard but it was too big for the jebao powerhead size I got since I’m using the smallest size... then I didn’t think it was a worry because the jebao models don’t have the big holes in the back that the neros have that would allow a fish to get sucked all the way in, but she was stuck up against it... I was running it at level 3 of 10. I’m so sad thinking of her suffering. 

banasophia

Another fish went missing tonight... started thinking maybe it’s my new RODI water killing them off since I had problems before when I made my own RODI, but then I found it... it was my middle sized scissortail dartfish... it had jumped into the middle chamber of my Biocube 32 and was laying on the filter floss... it was still alive, hope it makes it... what a bad run with the fishies. 😥

• Sad 7
On 6/8/2020 at 9:50 AM, banasophia said:

Another fish went missing tonight... started thinking maybe it’s my new RODI water killing them off since I had problems before when I made my own RODI, but then I found it... it was my middle sized scissortail dartfish... it had jumped into the middle chamber of my Biocube 32 and was laying on the filter floss... it was still alive, hope it makes it... what a bad run with the fishies. 😥

What made you think it was the RODI?

Sorry to hear about the losses

• Like 1
On 6/9/2020 at 4:21 AM, Ratvan said:

What made you think it was the RODI?

Sorry to hear about the losses

I’m pretty nervous about using the homemade RODI because I’ve tried to make my own water two ways in the past and it did not work out.

First, I got a home distiller... it produced 0 TDS water, but this was what happened (copied from my TOTM writeup):

UPDATE & WARNING REGARDING THE HOME WATER DISTILLER: The home water distiller did not turn out to be a good option; within three water changes I lost my cleaner shrimp and all of my emerald crabs in both tanks, and my white rock flower anemone and spider sponge were severely harmed as well. Although the TDS tested as 0 every time, I suspect some kind of harmful contaminant in trace amounts. I do not know if the problem was due to my water supply or the distiller; I will post an update if further testing provides helpful information.

Then after I allowed both of my tanks to recover for a while, I got my first RODI filter, a 4 stager with a booster pump... it produced 0 TDS water. But with the very first water change my blue sympodium literally disintegrated and my pink palys shriveled up before my eyes the night I did my first water change as I recall. Then after a couple more water changes all my sponges started dying back. I think other livestock suffered as well, but those were the main ones I remember that did especially poorly.

My water district has told me they don’t use chloramines, so I’m not sure what the contaminant may have been that was getting through but not showing a TDS above 0. This new filter is a 7 stager, so I’m hoping it is getting everything out. I think the fish losses were a coincidence that they happened within days of each other as they did, but I’m certainly keeping a close eye on the tanks with the change in water source. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I’m pretty nervous about using the homemade RODI because I’ve tried to make my own water two ways in the past and it did not work out.

First, I got a home distiller... it produced 0 TDS water, but this was what happened (copied from my TOTM writeup):

UPDATE & WARNING REGARDING THE HOME WATER DISTILLER: The home water distiller did not turn out to be a good option; within three water changes I lost my cleaner shrimp and all of my emerald crabs in both tanks, and my white rock flower anemone and spider sponge were severely harmed as well. Although the TDS tested as 0 every time, I suspect some kind of harmful contaminant in trace amounts. I do not know if the problem was due to my water supply or the distiller; I will post an update if further testing provides helpful information.

Then after I allowed both of my tanks to recover for a while, I got my first RODI filter, a 4 stager with a booster pump... it produced 0 TDS water. But with the very first water change my blue sympodium literally disintegrated and my pink palys shriveled up before my eyes the night I did my first water change as I recall. Then after a couple more water changes all my sponges started dying back. I think other livestock suffered as well, but those were the main ones I remember that did especially poorly.

My water district has told me they don’t use chloramines, so I’m not sure what the contaminant may have been that was getting through but not showing a TDS above 0. This new filter is a 7 stager, so I’m hoping it is getting everything out. I think the fish losses were a coincidence that they happened within days of each other as they did, but I’m certainly keeping a close eye on the tanks with the change in water source. 

Very true, they also probably don't know how much of the network is copper or lead pipe I assume? I know that I have an incredibly high zinc and copper contaminants from my tap from the old pipes in the area. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

I have been going through something similar, except I have ammonia in my tank and do not know why. I was able to test my RODI for all things you can test for with a hobby test kit and have now ruled out my RODI. Have you tested the output of your RODI besides 0 TDS? You may want to do that just to make sure it is safe.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Tired said:

Did you put dechlorinator in the water? I don't think an RODI system will remove chlorine.

Hmm... No, I don’t add dechlorinator. Do people normally put dechlorinator in their RODI water they make? If so, then that is an issue because I definitely never got the memo that we need to do that if we make our own RODI. I thought RODI filters remove chlorine... I thought that if you have chloramines then you have to add an additional stage... which the 7 stage is supposed to include...

47 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

I have been going through something similar, except I have ammonia in my tank and do not know why. I was able to test my RODI for all things you can test for with a hobby test kit and have now ruled out my RODI. Have you tested the output of your RODI besides 0 TDS? You may want to do that just to make sure it is safe.

Yes, I should have sent some of my filtered water from my home distiller and the 4 stage RODI for ICP testing because it was likely heavy metals or something we wouldn’t ordinarily test for. If I have further issues with this filter I will do that. 

• Like 1
NaturallyKait

You shouldn’t need to dechlorinate RODI. The carbon filter should handle regular chlorine and yes there are special filters for chloramines. 

• Like 3

Any suggestions on a new little companion for Jack? I really prefer my fish to have a buddy.... he seems lonely. 

In a 5gal, you're pretty much limited to the smallest of gobies. I wouldn't try to add another neon goby, they'll fight if they don't pair up. Trimma and eviota are two genuses of gobies that stay very small, and there are also tiger gobies and antenna gobies to consider. Antenna gobies are shrimpgobies, which would mean you could pair one up with a candycane pistol shrimp. 

• Like 1