Innovative Marine Aquariums

banasophia

Recent FTS:

303CC079-183F-44CA-9C95-00E5B256C39B.thumb.jpeg.dff721f4796d3ae56b9fc1fcc735de6a.jpeg

Hi all, It’s funny how many of us are talking about our spouses/significant others as we figure out whether we’ll be doing this new Nano-Reef challenge. It really shows what an investment of time, money, and care this hobby can be. 

This past week I discovered that my hubs actually supports me in this hobby more than I knew. Because of him, I’m back, and joining in on the fun. Here’s what happened: 

• Early last week the hubs informed me it’s not his place to tell me I can’t start a new tank; it’s up to me to decide
    • 🤔 hmm could be a good sign
  • When I had my little temper tantrum in the contest thread, it was the hubs that suggested I could apologize and come back
    • 😊 hopeful to think people understand and give me a chance... we all have our issues
  • Hubs even told me last night he liked my tank idea
    • 🚦seems like a green light to me! 😁

So, of course, I took all this as the go ahead to move forward, and went to pick up the tank today! 

I’ll be doing a Fluval Evo V, 5 gallon tank, in my home office. Here’s my condiment shot. Honey for the humans, coral frenzy for the corals!

EF6C6EF1-F97B-4906-A41E-6682466BC822.thumb.jpeg.52fa09751ca13a1adae370791cad68fc.jpeg

• Like 17

Yay, this is a nice full contest. Great to see you jump in

Looking forwards to seeing what you do with the tank

3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Hi all, It’s funny how many of us are talking about our spouses/significant others as we figure out whether we’ll be doing this new Nano-Reef challenge. It really shows what an investment of time, money, and love this hobby can be. 

This past week I discovered that my hubs actually supports me in this hobby more than I knew. Because of him, I’m back, and joining in on the fun. Here’s what happened: 

• Early last week the hubs informed me it’s not his place to tell me I can’t start a new tank; it’s up to me to decide
  • When I had my little temper tantrum in the contest thread, it was the hubs that suggested I could apologize and come back
    • 😊 hopeful to think people understand and give me a chance... we all have our issues

I know, my Mrs has expressed an interest in joining the forum and contest, just need to work out if I can scape together the equipment for her in time

Would mean that I need to move the Pico to my office though....

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Yay, this is a nice full contest. Great to see you jump in

Looking forwards to seeing what you do with the tank

I know, my Mrs has expressed an interest in joining the forum and contest, just need to work out if I can scape together the equipment for her in time

Would mean that I need to move the Pico to my office though....

Thank you! Yes, should be a really fun one, with lots of people joining in! 

I love what you’ve done already with yours, and we’ve only just begun! That would be awesome if your Mrs could join in too... you must be able to squeeze one in somewhere... there’s always room for one more?! Plus remember it doesn’t even have to be wet by the 29th, you’re just ahead of the game with your rock wall tank. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thank you! Yes, should be a really fun one, with lots of people joining in! 

I love what you’ve done already with yours, and we’ve only just begun! That would be awesome if your Mrs could join in too... you must be able to squeeze one in somewhere... there’s always room for one more?! Plus remember it doesn’t even have to be wet by the 29th, you’re just ahead of the game with your rock wall tank. 

Thanks, the cardboard box over it looks particularly engaging this morning. Going to see what it looks like Saturday. So hard not to peak 

Placement is an issue, I don't have many electrical sockets that are safe from my Bunny (Knox - destroyer of cubes and killer of corals), I could put it in the kitchen but hardly every use that room unless cooking so 🤷‍♂️, seems like a waste. Bedroom is out. Basement is a possibility but its humid as Singapore down there (utility room - washer, dryer, dehumidifier) 

I got bunny proofing but that slows him down and doesn't stop him. 

Dunno i'll work something out

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Thanks, the cardboard box over it looks particularly engaging this morning. Going to see what it looks like Saturday. So hard not to peak 

Placement is an issue, I don't have many electrical sockets that are safe from my Bunny (Knox - destroyer of cubes and killer of corals), I could put it in the kitchen but hardly every use that room unless cooking so 🤷‍♂️, seems like a waste. Bedroom is out. Basement is a possibility but its humid as Singapore down there (utility room - washer, dryer, dehumidifier) 

I got bunny proofing but that slows him down and doesn't stop him. 

Dunno i'll work something out

Ah right, definitely need to protect the bunny! Haven’t seen any pics of Knox lately, think I need to go seek some out... Knox is the cutest!! 

Hope the box helps with that algae. 🤞🤞🤞

6 hours ago, banasophia said:

seems like a green light to me!

Isn't there a saying, that once you get a "yes" stop asking.  I'm glad that you've entered, and good luck!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Fantastic! Nice to have support for your interests from the significant other. Following. 

Very true... thanks for following. 🤗

1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I like that lid

I do like tanks with lids, and this one looks nicer than I had anticipated! 😊 Not sure yet whether I’ll be able to keep the lid and stock light, but my cat hangs out in my home office with me while I work, so I definitely need to protect the tank from fur and fishing! A friend of mine has a kessil a80 he’s willing to sell to me for a great price, but I’m still considering my options. 

5 hours ago, growsomething said:

So what's the plan for the Evo 5, banasophia?  Your other tanks did so well in such a short amount of time.

Thank you! Since this will be my 3rd tank running, my main goal is to keep it simple, with very low maintenance. My idea for this tank is totally inspired by the scape.

I picked up two pieces of CaribSea Liferock from my LFS a couple weeks ago. I was walking past some shelves that had a bunch of Liferock pieces, and these pieces were on different shelves but immediately drew my attention. When I tried to put them together, they fit like pieces of a puzzle. I bought them right away, feeling like I’d use them at some point... hadn’t decided yet whether I’d be doing the contest. But I noted that this LFS had Evo 5’s on sale for only $72, and I tested the scape out in their floor model and it fit! 

C5FACCB6-B36A-48AE-A46E-3C108F7A48F4.thumb.jpeg.210d3615406e39a5750f58e0b1a73ae3.jpeg

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Isn't there a saying, that once you get a "yes" stop asking.  I'm glad that you've entered, and good luck!

I think that’s totally a saying, and a good best practice! Thanks so much!! 😊

• Like 1
7 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hi all, It’s funny how many of us are talking about our spouses/significant others as we figure out whether we’ll be doing this new Nano-Reef challenge. It really shows what an investment of time, money, and care this hobby can be. 

So, of course, I took all this as the go ahead to move forward, and went to pick up the tank today! 

I’ll be doing a Fluval Evo V, 5 gallon tank, in my home office. Here’s my condiment shot. Honey for the humans, coral frenzy for the corals!

EF6C6EF1-F97B-4906-A41E-6682466BC822.thumb.jpeg.52fa09751ca13a1adae370791cad68fc.jpeg

So glad to see another EVO 5. It was my tank of choice too. Good luck!

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

So glad to see another EVO 5. It was my tank of choice too. Good luck!

Yes, another Evo V office tank, that’s awesome!

And like I just mentioned in your thread, wow, our stocking plans are remarkably similar... wait til I post more of mine, I can’t even believe it actually. It will be fun to see how similar or different our tanks turn out!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Yes, another Evo V office tank, that’s awesome!

And like I just mentioned in your thread, wow, our stocking plans are remarkably similar... wait til I post more of mine, I can’t even believe it actually. It will be fun to see how similar or different our tanks turn out!

I did not see your stock list, that is fun. We will have to check in and compare notes for sure.

• Like 2

That looks like it's going to be an epic scape.

I must ask though if you could see any problem in the tank being too skinny in terms of coral growth and cleaning?

Also, are you going to run this bare bottom?

• Like 2
23 hours ago, GtownSalty said:

I did not see your stock list, that is fun. We will have to check in and compare notes for sure.

I haven’t actually posted it, but the plan definitely includes a torch or two, cloves, and knopia. I might possibly also include zoas/palys, GSP, rock flowers, or maybe a button scoly... the additional corals depend on how it comes together and what my LFSs have in stock.  

I’ll post more over the weekend. 🙂 I thought about changing it after I saw your plans, but it’s pretty specific, so I couldn’t really think of a way to make it work if I change it up... I think it will be really fun though to do them similarly. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Tempestas said:

That looks like it's going to be an epic scape.

I must ask though if you could see any problem in the tank being too skinny in terms of coral growth and cleaning?

Also, are you going to run this bare bottom?

Thanks!

Yes, it’s gonna be tight... I’ll have to stir my sand rather than siphoning along the edges, which isn’t ideal... I’ve thought about barebottom for this tank, but I’m a little worried that won’t support the establishment of my beneficial bacteria as well, and there’s very little space in the back chambers of the tank for much matrix media, which I like to use in my tanks to bulk up my biofilter... it’s still a consideration on the table though, weighing the pros and cons... my LFS is running a sweet little lifegard 4 gallon tank as a bare bottom, and it sure seems successful and looks great, but that tank has a larger back chamber area. 

What do you think, should I try barebottom? If so, maybe paint the bottom black (on the outside) before I fill it up? Or maybe I could do something to give it a sand look? 

I’ll have to remove one little piece of my rock so it’s not touching the “back” glass (I’ll be blocking one side pane), but otherwise it fits and I can get my nano-mag in to clean the glass. 

EE11DEB9-74CA-42A4-9179-853348121829.thumb.jpeg.ae03393e1089de0b42c48368be836675.jpeg

5D442D4D-3ECB-44BD-BEEB-E6AFE1F22DF1.thumb.jpeg.d18c3e2282006382936cd43b54edac2c.jpeg

• Like 3
21 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

I’m excited to see where you go with this!

Thanks so much... hoping my plan will work for the theme... will share more soon. 🤗

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, banasophia said:

What do you think, should I try barebottom? If so, maybe paint the bottom black (on the outside) before I fill it up? Or maybe I could do something to give it a sand look?

Yes, try it. I went barebottom in my old school pico and it's been great!  I do kinda miss the true aesthetic of sand though...but not siphoning and stirring. I've been surprised how clean the bottom stays. I guess I've got good turn over and detritus gets sucked up in the filter. 

I used a piece of white ABS to give it the white sandy look and it also seemed to help keep things from sliding around from the flow.  You could do something similar with that tank.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thanks!

Yes, it’s gonna be tight... I’ll have to stir my sand rather than siphoning along the edges, which isn’t ideal... I’ve thought about barebottom for this tank, but I’m a little worried that won’t support the establishment of my beneficial bacteria as well, and there’s very little space in the back chambers of the tank for much matrix media, which I like to use in my tanks to bulk up my biofilter... it’s still a consideration on the table though, weighing the pros and cons... my LFS is running a sweet little lifegard 4 gallon tank as a bare bottom, and it sure seems successful and looks great, but that tank has a larger back chamber area. 

I’ll have to remove one little piece of my rock so it’s not touching the “back” glass (I’ll be blocking one side pane), but otherwise it fits and I can get my nano-mag in to clean the glass. 

EE11DEB9-74CA-42A4-9179-853348121829.thumb.jpeg.ae03393e1089de0b42c48368be836675.jpeg

5D442D4D-3ECB-44BD-BEEB-E6AFE1F22DF1.thumb.jpeg.d18c3e2282006382936cd43b54edac2c.jpeg

Where are you going to be placing it? I noticed that my Fluval on wood grain looks like sand

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes, try it. I went barebottom in my old school pico and it's been great!  I do kinda miss the true aesthetic of sand though...but not siphoning and stirring. I've been surprised how clean the bottom stays. I guess I've got good turn over and detritus gets sucked up in the filter. 

I used a piece of white ABS to give it the white sandy look and it also seemed to help keep things from sliding around from the flow.  You could do something similar with that tank.

Oh yeah, thanks! Your contest tank is beautiful... I love that scape you did!! This makes me want to give it a shot.

8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Where are you going to be placing it? I noticed that my Fluval on wood grain looks like sand

It will be on my printer stand in my home office, which has a woodgrain look, so maybe... but then I think I’d need to paint that black crossbar underneath so it blends in... 

Do you guys think white/sandy would look better than black?