inTank Media Baskets

banasophia

I love all the updates. The background is so amazing and just beautiful! BABIES what what that is stinking cool. I am just over here excited about a successful shrimp shed LOL.

• Like 3
On 4/25/2020 at 2:01 PM, banasophia said:

You guys, I just went to take a pic of the fish babies and guess what? The old batch from yesterday must’ve hatched during the night/early morning and are already replaced! 😳😳😳 These guys are like the rabbits of the saltwater world!!! Sad that none of the offspring survive.

Yesterday, tiny eyes still visible:

C1B06219-6408-47D4-96C3-F7D28475EC51.thumb.jpeg.3a9c62394a745f43d82a5be3cf067819.jpeg

Today, brand new clutch, no eyes yet:

24BBDFC8-6C48-4464-9DB6-C91AEA256E4D.thumb.jpeg.70d36aa754d7f2441b6bcbeeb5eec65a.jpeg

5FEF6309-0ECE-4966-ACB2-2950905DBBAE.thumb.jpeg.30082892eb579848e688ec84ae695666.jpeg

Incredible! I wonder if this is just normal behavior for these fish, or if the pair you got are simply very happy in your tank... I've heard of people keeping paired neon gobies before, but I've never heard of them spawning so prolifically! What have you been feeding them?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, GtownSalty said:

I love all the updates. The background is so amazing and just beautiful! BABIES what what that is stinking cool. I am just over here excited about a successful shrimp shed LOL.

16 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

With so many hiding places can I be hopeful there is one hiding?

Thanks, I’m really excited about all the spawning; it makes me happy to think my little fishies are happy in their home. I wish there were some surviving offspring, but sadly I don’t think so. 😞

Your tank looks awesome!!  

42 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Incredible! I wonder if this is just normal behavior for these fish, or if the pair you got are simply very happy in your tank... I've heard of people keeping paired neon gobies before, but I've never heard of them spawning so prolifically! What have you been feeding them?

Yeah when I looked up neon gobies spawning I saw someone post that his mated pair started spawning right away too... I think he figured out a way to raise them by removing the eggs from the tank prior to hatching by using a pvc pipe for the fish to spawn in. I probably won’t try anything like that at this point, but who knows in the future...

I think I lucked out with my scape... they love the little natural tube shaped depression in the rock which happens to be right in my view so I can observe closely. I feed Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet sinking pellets in the evening... my mandarin and yellow clown goby in my other tank love them too (well, all my fish do). 

• Like 3
banasophia

Figured it would be interesting to continue to post in here whenever they spawn... so... we have a new clutch this morning! This is #4. I was a bit worried they would choose a different, less visible spot this time, so I was happy to see just now that they chose the same spot again.

I knew this would probably be the morning because all the previous babies were gone yesterday and Rose was huge last night.

0EAC3423-A61D-42BF-A095-7C2A5BB09907.thumb.jpeg.e2760575bd1f4e62dadea5957444e8d3.jpeg

3A9D5C51-B2EF-4E03-BD7F-65A317DC0126.thumb.jpeg.a417cacde87f25c48c863627b069ccd2.jpeg

9C7DB31C-1FB3-430B-9BB5-CCC0D40A0FF6.thumb.jpeg.139118b66cef9350aa271c07f649508e.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

If you ever have the interest in trying to get some of the hatches past meta they make traps with an LED light to catch the wigglers so you can transfer them to a rearing tank.

• Like 1
banasophia
13 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I find it amazing and so cool that they just keep spawning. 

I know, me too! So amazing to see, and makes me happy they are just doin their thing and seem to like their little home. 

2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

If you ever have the interest in trying to get some of the hatches past meta they make traps with an LED light to catch the wigglers so you can transfer them to a rearing tank.

Hmm that’s interesting. I should check into that, and would love to try to raise some of the babies up at some point, but man I am pretty overwhelmed with three tanks as it is at the moment. 

This tank is super low maintenance so far, which was the goal... but I have so much to figure out still on the Biocube 32 with learning how to keep the SPS corals, and the Biocube 16 is very high maintenance with all the feeding.

• Like 3
banasophia

Here is what I’ve learned in the last little while... the right snails can really make a huge difference. Turbos and ninja star astreas are amazing!! In addition to all the tiny snails from reefcleanersthat get into all the nooks and crannies in the rock. 

Yesterday moved two ninja stars from my other tank into this one, looking so much better already!  

731C9613-74F4-4EC2-88B0-EB9B74A6260E.thumb.jpeg.6c110c8e4b01f6fced01337500479a2a.jpeg

81340453-7014-472E-9B8A-50F07958FACC.thumb.jpeg.1e2cfd3efb8fdd9c8291c01b11a40a18.jpeg

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Here is what I’ve learned in the last little while... the right snails can really make a huge difference. Turbos and ninja star astreas are amazing!! In addition to all the tiny snails from reefcleanersthat get into all the nooks and crannies in the rock. 

Yesterday moved two ninja stars from my other tank into this one, looking so much better already!  

731C9613-74F4-4EC2-88B0-EB9B74A6260E.thumb.jpeg.6c110c8e4b01f6fced01337500479a2a.jpeg

81340453-7014-472E-9B8A-50F07958FACC.thumb.jpeg.1e2cfd3efb8fdd9c8291c01b11a40a18.jpeg

I got one of those Astrea for my 5G, absolute beast on the hair algae I didn't even have to manually remove any. I've had to order some nori now

• Wow 1
banasophia
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

I got one of those Astrea for my 5G, absolute beast on the hair algae I didn't even have to manually remove any. I've had to order some nori now

Wow, that’s awesome... you gonna try nori sheets? 

• Like 1
Just now, banasophia said:

Wow, that’s awesome... you gonna try nori sheets? 

I'll keep my eye out in the supermarkets but think I'll have to order online. I don't fancy queueing for hours to get into a larger store. Might check out that sushi kit I got for Christmas 

• Like 2
banasophia
11 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

You might want to check postage rates to the UK. But cool

I wonder if I could just pop a few sheets in a little baggie and send it using an international stamp? I have those stamps on hand from sending out reefing stickers to people. Do you think there would be restrictions on sending nor internationally like that? 

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I wonder if I could just pop a few sheets in a little baggie and send it using an international stamp? I have those stamps on hand from sending out reefing stickers to people. Do you think there would be restrictions on sending nor internationally like that? 

Let's see. 

• Like 1
banasophia

Jack the Goby, doin his thing, protecting the babies... this little fish truly never gets a break 😅

0FCE5202-D37E-43E6-86C7-C5C954C521AA.thumb.jpeg.121fe475fa5797acc9b469f6c6577e99.jpeg

• Like 4
banasophia
19 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Pretty sure it's fine as long as its packaged, I'm sure the only restriction is they it cannot be perishable 

Just spoke with the post office and they said it will be fine to send if I can fit it in a letter/envelope, so I’ll get it out to you in the mail tomorrow, along with a sticker featuring Hank. 🤗 If you ever do Knox stickers, I want one!! 

• Thanks 1

I wonder if you might be able to make a low-maintenance tank that would raise at least a few of the babies.

In freshwater, babies sometimes survive in planted tanks with no added effort, because they snack on infusorians and copepods on the leaves. I'd think it might be possible to have a macro/rock rubble tank, which you add a variety of live foods to, let the food breed for a little while, and then put babies in. Basically just raise them in a 'fuge. Not sure if small enough food for pico goby babies would breed in aquarium conditions, though. 

• Like 2
banasophia
13 minutes ago, Tired said:

I wonder if you might be able to make a low-maintenance tank that would raise at least a few of the babies.

In freshwater, babies sometimes survive in planted tanks with no added effort, because they snack on infusorians and copepods on the leaves. I'd think it might be possible to have a macro/rock rubble tank, which you add a variety of live foods to, let the food breed for a little while, and then put babies in. Basically just raise them in a 'fuge. Not sure if small enough food for pico goby babies would breed in aquarium conditions, though. 

Yeah that would be cool, if I could actually catch them and give it a try... the hubs might kill me though if he detects an additional tank onsite. 😬😬😬 

banasophia
20 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Do you have 3 or 4 tanks running now?

A mere 3 saltwater... and my daughter has a freshwater tank. 

• Like 3
EfrainChicagoDeepdish
17 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah that would be cool, if I could actually catch them and give it a try... the hubs might kill me though if he detects an additional tank onsite. 😬😬😬 

But this is for conservation/science/happiness in a yuck time!  

• Like 2