Top Shelf Aquatics

banasophia

14 hours ago, Tired said:

In a 5gal, you're pretty much limited to the smallest of gobies. I wouldn't try to add another neon goby, they'll fight if they don't pair up. Trimma and eviota are two genuses of gobies that stay very small, and there are also tiger gobies and antenna gobies to consider. Antenna gobies are shrimpgobies, which would mean you could pair one up with a candycane pistol shrimp. 

Thanks so much! I’ll research those guys while giving it some time to be more confident my water supply is going to be fine. Just did water change #3 yesterday/today on all the tanks. 

• Like 1

This does not seem good. What is this black sediment in the bottom of my brute can in my fresh mixed saltwater? I think it actually happened last week too but I had dismissed it at the time because I moved the pump and it went away so I thought it was just the lighting in the room or my imagination. Then I tossed my heater after the two fish died thinking maybe something had come out of the heater, so this week it’s a different heater. So possible sources would be the salt, pump, or maybe DI resin or something else from the new filter? I would think the filter since the pump and salt have not changed. Thoughts? 

203810E6-DD1E-401C-BFA9-3B298138A359.thumb.jpeg.e66d9b065c44fc1db15b8c632443c12b.jpeg

0135DC76-5936-4F64-BFCD-244ED418E63A.thumb.jpeg.958c77e4aa01b22de2f3334abda3a89c.jpeg

2 hours ago, banasophia said:

This does not seem good. What is this black sediment in the bottom of my brute can in my fresh mixed saltwater? I think it actually happened last week too but I had dismissed it at the time because I moved the pump and it went away so I thought it was just the lighting in the room or my imagination. Then I tossed my heater after the two fish died thinking maybe something had come out of the heater, so this week it’s a different heater. So possible sources would be the salt, pump, or maybe DI resin or something else from the new filter? I would think the filter since the pump and salt have not changed. Thoughts? 

203810E6-DD1E-401C-BFA9-3B298138A359.thumb.jpeg.e66d9b065c44fc1db15b8c632443c12b.jpeg

0135DC76-5936-4F64-BFCD-244ED418E63A.thumb.jpeg.958c77e4aa01b22de2f3334abda3a89c.jpeg

You should see the funk at the bottom and sides of my Brute...your good. seriously don’t worry about it...the actual ocean and reefs are not using  water made from bags of salt, and perfectly made 0 TDS water. If the funk at the bottom of your brute bothers your wipe it off with a paper towel before you make your next batch 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Sancho said:

You should see the funk at the bottom and sides of my Brute...your good. seriously don’t worry about it...the actual ocean and reefs are not using  water made from bags of salt, and perfectly made 0 TDS water. If the funk at the bottom of your brute bothers your wipe it off with a paper towel before you make your next batch 

Thanks, sorry, I should’ve given more info. It doesn’t seem to be salt buildup... it’s nothing like the residue I used to get from reef crystals, it’s bigger particles that float around. The brute was totally clean beforehand it’s new I’ve only used it 3 times. I’m using Red Sea Blue Bucket which is fairly clean and never did this when mixing with jugs of distilled. I’m thinking it’s maybe something coming out of the pump or maybe bits of DI resin. I’ll probably dump this batch and try a different pump tomorrow. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, banasophia said:

That looks like your 7th stage filter resin.

• Like 3

Quick question. Which chamber do you have your heater in? I have mine in with the pump chamber 2 and I do not have an ATO on this tank. Do you have an ATO? I am follow so many tanks I can’t remember who has what.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, banasophia said:

Have you not ever changed DI resin? It's not hard to identify if you have held it before... it would be tiny beads..

Do you notice it in the can before you add the salt?

11 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Quick question. Which chamber do you have your heater in? I have mine in with the pump chamber 2 and I do not have an ATO on this tank. Do you have an ATO? I am follow so many tanks I can’t remember who has what.

Yes, heater in chamber 2 with the pump and ATO... it’s a tight fit! So glad to have the ATO... I get a ton of evaporation in this tank, which I guess is probably good to provide some evaporative cooling. The temp ranges daily from 76 - 82! 

14 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

That looks like your 7th stage filter resin.

That’s what I was thinking. 

10 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Have you not ever changed DI resin? It's not hard to identify if you have held it before... it would be tiny beads..

Do you notice it in the can before you add the salt?

No, I’ve never changed the resin, it’s brand new. 

I really thought the crud looked like tiny beads while looking at it from up above looking down into the bucket, but when I sucked some of it up it didn’t look like beads, looked more like flakes of sediment that had flaked off of the inside of the pump. And the pump is one that I’ve been using for a while and did have crud built up inside. It didn’t seem to have any other issues/damage, nor does the heater. Sooo.... I think I am going to use the water now. I’m gonna try to stick a piece of filter floss over the end of my hose to filter out whatever the crud is. 🤞😬

41319E79-1085-49EB-854E-6914FE3C308D.thumb.jpeg.27fa8dfa61c6c01d6b0ed19a57583057.jpeg

9A7F853C-48BA-40CC-9DF6-32496042699B.thumb.jpeg.55acef029e32052a12777d3c348385f2.jpeg

F9CA63EE-AEDC-4DB5-A113-EF004999EF42.thumb.jpeg.540cad38864136a4d8cb47b38dddc167.jpeg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yes, heater in chamber 2 with the pump and ATO... it’s a tight fit! So glad to have the ATO... I get a ton of evaporation in this tank, which I guess is probably good to provide some evaporative cooling. The temp ranges daily from 76 - 82! 

That’s what I was thinking. 

No, I’ve never changed the resin, it’s brand new. 

I really thought the crud looked like tiny beads while looking at it from up above looking down into the bucket, but when I sucked some of it up it didn’t look like beads, looked more like flakes of sediment that had flaked off of the inside of the pump. And the pump is one that I’ve been using for a while and did have crud built up inside. It didn’t seem to have any other issues/damage, nor does the heater. Sooo.... I think I am going to use the water now. I’m gonna try to stick a piece of filter floss over the end of my hose to filter out whatever the crud is. 🤞😬

41319E79-1085-49EB-854E-6914FE3C308D.thumb.jpeg.27fa8dfa61c6c01d6b0ed19a57583057.jpeg

9A7F853C-48BA-40CC-9DF6-32496042699B.thumb.jpeg.55acef029e32052a12777d3c348385f2.jpeg

F9CA63EE-AEDC-4DB5-A113-EF004999EF42.thumb.jpeg.540cad38864136a4d8cb47b38dddc167.jpeg

Yea that's not resin..  like I said you would know its little beads.. your probally right it's just crap from the pump. I would put the pump in a bucket with vinegar and run it overnight and see if it cleans it up😎

• Like 3

Hey what happened to the distiller idea? Realized with so many tanks its going too hard saving the planet 1 gallon at a time😋😋😉😉😅

Hippy.. sorry had to say it ☺. HAPPY FRIDAY:flower:...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
58 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Hey what happened to the distiller idea? Realized with so many tanks its going too hard saving the planet 1 gallon at a time😋😋😉😉😅

Hippy.. sorry had to say it ☺. HAPPY FRIDAY:flower:...

Oh, yeah... the distiller didn’t work out. Haven’t given up on trying to better the planet, but have to do so in other ways. 🤗😘

UPDATE & WARNING REGARDING THE HOME WATER DISTILLER: The home water distiller did not turn out to be a good option; within three water changes I lost my cleaner shrimp and all of my emerald crabs in both tanks, and my white rock flower anemone and spider sponge were severely harmed as well. Although the TDS tested as 0 every time, I suspect some kind of harmful contaminant in trace amounts. I do not know if the problem was due to my water supply or the distiller; I will post an update if further testing provides helpful information.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh, yeah... the distiller didn’t work out. Haven’t given up on trying to better the planet, but have to do so in other ways. 🤗

Really that sucks... thought that would have worked for sure..   

Yea being honest I dont like all the waste from the rodi systems either (I actually plumbed my waste line into the garden to make myself feel better😂 .. )they are selling membranes now that are better than the 4:1 ratio.  I'm going to get one next go around..  wanna say sancho said they have like 2:1membranes now

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Really that sucks... thought that would have worked for sure..   

Yea being honest I dont like all the waste from the rodi systems either (I actually plumbed my waste line into the garden to make myself feel better😂 .. )they are selling membranes now that are better than the 4:1 ratio.  I'm going to get one next go around..  wanna say sancho said they have like 2:1membranes now

Yeah I had a 2:1 on my first RODI I tried last year, but it was only a 4 stager and it failed too and killed a bunch of stuff. There must be something pretty nasty in my water.

When I ordered this new 7 stager a few weeks ago from BRS they were out of the super efficient ones, so I’ll have to upgrade it later on for the improved efficiency. We just had to drain a billion gallons out of our swimming pool this past week so I’m definitely wasting a ton of water... not good. 

Personal water waste isn't the problem. The stuff you pour down the drain or on the ground goes right back into circulation, either via a water treatment plant or via evaporation. Water shortages come mostly from trying to grow huge amounts of high-water-demand plants in low-water-availability areas, and in some areas from the millions of gallons of water that go into bottled spring water. Not the water people get for reefs- that's just filtered tap water, probably local for convenience, and you'll put it right down the drain later. Droughts are partly from said misuse of water, partly from changing weather patterns due to climate change. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, banasophia said:

Yeah I had a 2:1 on my first RODI I tried last year, but it was only a 4 stager and it failed too and killed a bunch of stuff. There must be something pretty nasty in my water.

When I ordered this new 7 stager a few weeks ago from BRS they were out of the super efficient ones, so I’ll have to upgrade it later on for the improved efficiency. We just had to drain a billion gallons out of our swimming pool this past week so I’m definitely wasting a ton of water... not good. 

The 2:1 membranes still work, if you’re getting stuff in your water you’ve probably got high chloramines. Additional stages could have been added to the system you bought last year. There was absolutely no need to buy another  RODI unit, you could have just added the additional 3 filters to your existing unit...but hey what do I know 🙄

• Like 2

RODI filters are all pretty much the same, the brand name really doesn’t matter, what is important is your water pressure going to the unit and the filter media you use. Yeah some look better and have gizmos that others don’t. If your local water municipality has high chloramines additional filters are required to get 0 TDS. Personally I’ve never used the color changing DI resin.  

• Like 1

My water district insists there are no chloramines... I’m thinking probably it’s copper or some other heavy metal contaminant, who knows. Whatever it is, my daughter uses Betta Safe on the tap water for her freshwater fish and that tank does fine. 

I gave the prior 4 stage RODI filter with booster pump away, the guy seemed to appreciate it. You might remember that thing was assembled incorrectly in the first place when I got it and it was a big pain to try to figure it out. Plus my water pressure is already super high so I didn’t need a booster. Plus I’d left water in it for about 10 months. Easier to just start over with a heavy duty new one preassembled from BRS, and it was really nice and easy... plug and play. 

An additional stage can be added to my 7 stager later on to increase the efficiency, if I’m worried about it. Right now it’s certainly not my biggest worry. Oh and I need to cancel my recurring distilled water deliveries so I don’t get another ten 5 gallon jugs this week. 

• Like 2

I didn’t realize neon gobies did this. I think he’s bored and needs a little buddy soon. Thinking about maybe a tailspot blenny,  green clown goby, or citron goby. Of course a yellow clown goby would be great, but how can I have another Hank? 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

He is working hard.

Yeah I guess he has to do something to keep busy since he’s no longer occupied with the baby making and baby rearing. Poor lil guy!! 

529B595B-5672-4BFF-9040-AEE4E466EB3B.thumb.jpeg.944a26ea867f3be3a7c629ac157dfa67.jpeg

• Like 1

Oh yeah and the tank has become a lovely habitat for aiptasia (and bristleworms), like my Biocube 16, but I spotted the berghia nudibranchs last night starting to do their job. 

E1FC6268-DB28-47A8-B2A6-393B97071A5E.thumb.jpeg.56a63d11dfdeeb7560f62f9711528f57.jpeg

• Like 2

Here’s to hoping they also work hard. Well I am setting up my old JBJ pico for a qt tank. Going to just use the ac20 empty for flow, a heater, and LR for filter.   I finally broke down and ordered some zoa’s from Top Shelf. I will probably pick them up around Wednesday. Sorry I was thinking I was in reef, chat, life thread. Back to your regular scheduled programming.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Supposed benefit to the citron is a longer lifespan, although it may be the yellows.  @Ratvan You asked me for this ages ago, like 8 months at least lol, google was kind this attempt and I found something parallel - but not the waikiki report on the 15 year old yellow coral goby itself.
https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-longevity/

Thank you. Have bookmarked that for later. After a pair for the 5g now

• Like 1