Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

banasophia

7 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

haha!  My kinda kitchen too! Several tanks, plants, and, when my lizard was still alive, roaches!

Haha totally. Didn’t you worry the roaches would escape? We’ve never fed those cuz I’m afraid of an infestation. I got a couch from Craigslist years ago with roaches in it, and trying to get rid of them was a nightmare!! It was right when we were supposed to have our home inspection as we were trying to get approved as foster parents… first we got roaches, then apparently the peanut butter roach traps attracted mice… it was quite a fiasco, but all ultimately worked out, and we became parents to my now 14 year old. 

7 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

How's Finnick? 

Sadly, Finnick did not make it… I lost him back in November. 😢 It’s weird reefing without him… I got him when my first tank was only one month old and had him 3 1/2 years. He was a wonderful little fish, though very high maintenance… I loved him so much.

Here’s a a little slideshow I put together after I lost him:

• Sad 3
Critteraholic

Soooo sorry to hear about Finnick.   He's such a cutie!

The roaches I had were Dubia roaches.  They're tropical roaches and don't survive out in the cold. They also don't carry disease like american roaches and are easy to keep.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

Soooo sorry to hear about Finnick.   He's such a cutie!

The roaches I had were Dubia roaches.  They're tropical roaches and don't survive out in the cold. They also don't carry disease like american roaches and are easy to keep.

Thank you. 🤗

Our house doesn’t get that cold… only maybe 67 at the lowest… I would think if they could survive in the lizard tanks and escape in the house they could survive and reproduce in the house? 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

@banasophia I have a couple questions about the tank. I am getting a spec and saw that you got the Hygger mini wavemaker which I was also planning on getting. How do you like it? Also I saw you ordered from Blue Zoo, how did that experience go?

On 3/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, CD_Scapes said:

@banasophia I have a couple questions about the tank. I am getting a spec and saw that you got the Hygger mini wavemaker which I was also planning on getting. How do you like it? Also I saw you ordered from Blue Zoo, how did that experience go?

Hi @CD_Scapes, I really like the hygger mini, I use one on my Evo 5 and my Biocube 16… I think the flow was a bit high for the fish when I had fish in the Evo 5 even on the lowest setting, they tended to stay close to the rockscape except when the flow was off for feeding, but the corals love it. 

I can’t really remember how it went with Blue Zoo… don’t remember any negatives. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, this tank has really been running on autopilot with 50% water changes every 2 weeks or so. It has been pretty overrun with GHA and/or bryopsis and bubble algae.

There were no fish in it for a long time, so it wasn’t getting any feeding at all, but I had to move one of my clownfish from my Biocube 16 when my pair started fighting and needed to be separated a month or so ago, so now it gets pellet food for the fish. The fish has recovered from its injuries from fighting and I hope to rehome it soon.

I had a nice bit of luck on Saturday night and my emerald crab in my Biocube 32 had climbed the back wall so I was able to grab him and move him to this tank and he is now working on the bubble algae. It was especially lucky because that emerald is from Reef Cleaners so it’s a particularly good bubble algae eater, and right now Reef Cleaners is out of emeralds, so I’m glad it worked out to move my guy to the tank in need.

I tried to manually remove lots of the hair algae during my water change on Sunday night, and ran to the LFS tonight and picked up a couple of turbo snails which are now going to town on the algae. 

• Like 3

The emerald is doing great eating up the bubble algae and the turbos do seem to be eating the hair algae… debating whether to get a couple more snails, or if I should use some Reef Flux to speed up the process.

I’ll probably just add more snails because I want my water to be a good as possible as some big changes will be happening with my tanks soon and this tank will be temporarily housing some additional fish… more to come! 😁

1BDC55F3-6C4D-4306-99DA-E56EC5E6E5E9.thumb.jpeg.3f4ea2e7ecc385c33f94372450f022ef.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Well, the tank is looking a little better bit by bit, but still very rough. I did a course of Reef Flux back in November/December which didn’t seem to do much, I’ve been doing manual algae removal, and just added some chemipure elite back in last night. The peppermint shrimp seems to have taken care of all of the aiptasia and emeralds are working on the bubble algae.

There are a couple of issues now though: the torch and candy canes are getting really happy and growing more, resulting in some reaching out and touching each other today. Also, as the algae is getting cleared off the rock, it appears all of the coating is coming off the rock along with it… thinking I may end up having to replace the rock, but I’ll give it more time to see as it gets cleaned off better. 

22117A26-8983-4CF3-A01A-61F125D6ABC1.thumb.jpeg.f206d527bbe2ce4fc1327fded92d1cdc.jpeg

I’d add more pics, but they seem to be loading upside down… does anyone know what’s happening with that? 

• Like 2

I'm not completely sure about the pics; I've seen a few people have the same problem.  I assume that it has something to do with the Exif orientation meta info:

https://jdhao.github.io/2019/07/31/image_rotation_exif_info/

However, I'm not sure if the site is reading it and changing the orientation, or it isn't reading the Exif flag and is leaving the pic's orientation as stored. :unsure:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm not completely sure about the pics; I've seen a few people have the same problem.  I assume that it has something to do with the Exif orientation meta info:

https://jdhao.github.io/2019/07/31/image_rotation_exif_info/

However, I'm not sure if the site is reading it and changing the orientation, or it isn't reading the Exif flag and is leaving the pic's orientation as stored. :unsure:

Oh that’s interesting, thank you. I wonder if we need some kind of plug-in update on the site to correct for this. Let me post one of my images and tag @Christopher Marks to see if we want to check into it. 

B07B38BD-6273-4BD8-803B-4342E481D24F.thumb.jpeg.157581dbcb0621e57f5169f5df7a255e.jpeg

133F856E-264A-4512-9A5F-A0682D43302D.thumb.jpeg.2b600df8fd1c75fd9eadd9853316bc28.jpeg

So… they are posting normally from my phone but they were upside down when trying to post with my brand new iPad Pro. 

I will make another post from the iPad in a sec. 

I just tried to post the same photos on my blog using the iPad and they were oriented correctly… thinking maybe a plug-in is needed? 

• 2 months later...

I broke down the Evo 5 so I’ll just be running two saltwater tanks and I’ll probably keep the tank as my quarantine tank (and get rid of the quarantine setup I had purchased before with an HOB filter). 

And I’ll be setting up a freshwater tank with the IM Atoll cylinder tank I bought from @A.m.P a while back, to try my hand at freshwater.