Top Shelf Aquatics

banasophia

2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Oh yeah, thanks! Your contest tank is beautiful... I love that scape you did!! This makes me want to give it a shot.

It will be on my printer stand in my home office, which has a woodgrain look, so maybe... but then I think I’d need to paint that black crossbar underneath so it blends in... 

Do you guys think white/sandy would look better than black? 

Black would photograph better I feel, white might reflect some light? 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ef4life said:

It’s always easier to start bare bottom and add sand later if you don’t like it. 

That’s what I was wondering about too... though I believe Dr Tim actually talks about starting with sand and removing later to go barebottom to help with the initial establishment of the biofilter... 

@SeaFurn you started with dry rock, right? Did you encounter any issues with this in the beginning with yours? 

11 minutes ago, banasophia said:

you started with dry rock, right? Did you encounter any issues with this in the beginning with yours? 

Yes, dry rock. I had no issues in the beginning.  I had a lot rock packed in there, as you'll  remember, so there was plenty of surface area for the biofilter. i didn't even end up using the marine pure balls in the HOB like I thought I might.  The biofilter was so effective that I had a hard time keeping nutrient levels up...which has now come back to bit me about a year later.  (More on that in my thread).

You've got quite a bit of rock with your new scape too - which I love BTW - so I don't think you'll have any issues going BB. 

As an aside, I'd be interested to see what the scape looks like flipped 180 degrees - with the high side of the rock near the wall....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes, dry rock. I had no issues in the beginning.  I had a lot rock packed in there, as you'll  remember, so there was plenty of surface area for the biofilter. i didn't even end up using the marine pure balls in the HOB like I thought I might.  The biofilter was so effective that I had a hard time keeping nutrient levels up...which has now come back to bit me about a year later.  (More on that in my thread).

You've got quite a bit of rock with your new scape too - which I love BTW - so I don't think you'll have any issues going BB. 

As an aside, I'd be interested to see what the scape looks like flipped 180 degrees - with the high side of the rock near the wall....

Great thanks for the info and feedback! 

I tried the scape the other way around and it was not quite as good due to the shape of the round piece, but it’s definitely something I’m considering due to my theme and what I’ll be doing with the back wall... more to come over the weekend and I’d love your input! 😊

• Like 1

Honestly, given the size of the tank, I think that sand vs barebottom isn't going to make much of a difference in the long term. The size of the tank and your rockscape means that you should be able to lift out the rock in one go and place it in a holding bucket/tub and perform a thorough blast cleaning of the sand every so often.

That being said, I do see it being a pain to do that sort of cleaning, and I personally would avoid the sand just so that I can minimize maintenance.

And here's a wild idea: Instead of paint, frost the bottom and place cheap white LED's under the tank, kind of like how @Tigahboy lit the back of his pico. May just give you that glow you want.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

Honestly, given the size of the tank, I think that sand vs barebottom isn't going to make much of a difference in the long term. The size of the tank and your rockscape means that you should be able to lift out the rock in one go and place it in a holding bucket/tub and perform a thorough blast cleaning of the sand every so often.

That being said, I do see it being a pain to do that sort of cleaning, and I personally would avoid the sand just so that I can minimize maintenance.

And here's a wild idea: Instead of paint, frost the bottom and place cheap white LED's under the tank, kind of like how @Tigahboy lit the back of his pico. May just give you that glow you want.

You may be onto something with the frosting and lighting... just wait til you hear my plan, I think you’ll like it... 🤫🤗

I am excited to see if you go bare bottom I chickened out. I love your scape. So excited to see yours progress.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:21 AM, banasophia said:

Hi all, It’s funny how many of us are talking about our spouses/significant others as we figure out whether we’ll be doing this new Nano-Reef challenge. It really shows what an investment of time, money, and care this hobby can be. 

This past week I discovered that my hubs actually supports me in this hobby more than I knew. Because of him, I’m back, and joining in on the fun. Here’s what happened: 

• Early last week the hubs informed me it’s not his place to tell me I can’t start a new tank; it’s up to me to decide
    • 🤔 hmm could be a good sign
  • When I had my little temper tantrum in the contest thread, it was the hubs that suggested I could apologize and come back
    • 😊 hopeful to think people understand and give me a chance... we all have our issues
  • Hubs even told me last night he liked my tank idea
    • 🚦seems like a green light to me! 😁

So, of course, I took all this as the go ahead to move forward, and went to pick up the tank today! 

I’ll be doing a Fluval Evo V, 5 gallon tank, in my home office. Here’s my condiment shot. Honey for the humans, coral frenzy for the corals!

EF6C6EF1-F97B-4906-A41E-6682466BC822.thumb.jpeg.52fa09751ca13a1adae370791cad68fc.jpeg

So glad to see another EVO 5. It was my tank of choice too. Good luck!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Great thanks for the info and feedback! 

I tried the scape the other way around and it was not quite as good due to the shape of the round piece, but it’s definitely something I’m considering due to my theme and what I’ll be doing with the back wall... more to come over the weekend and I’d love your input! 😊

Ahh...ok. Makes sense. Hard to tell that from the picture but I figured you probably tried It!

Following a long so will be happy to comment. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, banasophia said:

You may be onto something with the frosting and lighting... just wait til you hear my plan, I think you’ll like it... 🤫🤗

I put a frosted film on the back of my tank, I really like the look, but it’s just a “cling” film so it’s developing air bubbles the longer it stays on. If you found one that’s sticky like a window tint it would probably look better long term.

• Like 2

So... this tank setup is really inspired by the scape, along with my daughter’s painting she did a couple years ago when she was 10, and Vincent Van Gogh’s painting Starry Night. I think I’ll be calling the theme of this tank “swirls,” though perhaps I’ll think of something better.  

Like Starry Night, I will have an object in the foreground (the scape with a nice flowy torch, along with other more compact corals), and then there will be swirls in the “sky” in the background. 

E18C6512-B00F-4714-9728-D9822B30E1A8.thumb.jpeg.b7ccdc7b636ec6b4548df763d8c2e295.jpeg

10368122-C0F0-422A-9E11-D997E46433E1.jpeg.80ab986b200712f49ea7d608395151b0.jpeg

• Like 5

I moved the tank into place in my home office last night and it fits perfectly on the stand, next to my printer. The main issue though is that the curtains are hanging down in the way, but this may be the perfect motivation to change out our window treatments, as we just kept all the old curtains that were here when we bought the house 10 years ago.

Alternatively, I could just be my usual lazy self, move the pull-out guest bed over a bit so I can move the printer stand farther out from the wall... hmmm... look at that, problem solving as I post! 😜😂  I think you guys are getting to know a little too much about the inner workings of my mind haha. 

E48201B3-C362-4B5E-9D6A-CBC6BC7CF93B.thumb.jpeg.9222f6ade714429980b66f207f7d921e.jpeg

• Like 4

And I’m really liking the idea of trying to do this tank barebottom... thanks for the suggestion guys! I especially like the look with it black underneath, so I’ll probably try to get a black leveling mat to place underneath. 

863D2A24-ADFB-4D3E-89D8-D2F12BB8BE60.thumb.jpeg.d32706611955f8ee1145ac2b9daf7989.jpeg

8FEE34A5-21FF-430B-8C63-0C8408456655.thumb.jpeg.d60f3ff63b002bbe0c279e3656e5e267.jpeg

7827FCE4-41DC-4BD9-AE2D-EE92179F26C5.thumb.jpeg.8248a59769212a6aa2a003d1545dcca1.jpeg

• Like 5

Oh yes, and as you can see, @SeaFurn, I was able to figure out a way to reverse the scape - I think it looks nice, what do you think?

Here’s a pic with the kiddo’s painting propped up behind the tank to give you the idea of what I’ll be doing with the background, though of course it will extend all the way across. I’m not sure yet whether I’ll need to add extra lights to backlight it, that’s still TBD. 

A703162B-1CEF-4136-9019-402CF9473566.thumb.jpeg.f36d12e0d9a2bdb998cd4c57ef9bcbe6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Just ordered my Cobalt NeoTherm 25W heater, a Jebao SLW-10 wavemaker, and a Smart Micro ATO... never ceases to amaze me how fast everything adds up, even with a small tank... I can’t even imagine the expense involved in running a large reef. 

I haven’t used one of these Jebao SLW-10’s yet... I use a Jebao OW-10 in my Biocube 16 and really like it, and figured I’d try out this new model in the new tank. And my daughter uses an inTank media basket in her Fluval Flex freshwater tank and we really like it, so I decided to go ahead and get this upgrade now rather than using the stock sponge/media holder that comes with it, which we weren’t crazy about in the Fluval Flex... plus I think I’ll be able to fit more Seachem Matrix Media in the inTank basket. 

Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design) from 25W to 300W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGHH8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GDyuEbJBVA9A8
-> does not seem to fit

Jebao SLW Series SINE Wave Flow Wave Maker Pump with Controller for Aquarium Fish Tank (SLW-10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0816FG89X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-DyuEbXR5280N

inTank Media Basket for Fluval Spec, Spec III and Evo 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H56OH4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GEyuEb74QFZFG

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro Automatic Top Off System (SATO-120P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195D3LC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pFyuEbJNS2ZT6

• Like 3
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh yes, and as you can see, @SeaFurn, I was able to figure out a way to reverse the scape - I think it looks nice, what do you think?

Here’s a pic with the kiddo’s painting propped up behind the tank to give you the idea of what I’ll be doing with the background, though of course it will extend all the way across. I’m not sure yet whether I’ll need to add extra lights to backlight it, that’s still TBD. 

A703162B-1CEF-4136-9019-402CF9473566.thumb.jpeg.f36d12e0d9a2bdb998cd4c57ef9bcbe6.jpeg

Yes! I love it! I like how it flows from that top peak - and with 2 awesome shelves at about the same height on both ends. Lots of potential with this! 

• Thanks 1

I'm digging every part of this build so far.

Love love LOVE the starry night theme. It is my favourite painting ever.

Btw, any chance you've seen the painting in real life?

• Thanks 1
Just now, Tempestas said:

I'm digging every part of this build so far.

Love love LOVE the starry night theme. It is my favourite painting ever.

Btw, any chance you've seen the painting in real life?

Thanks so much... no I haven’t seen it, I’d love to... have you? 

I had considered calling it starry night and doing asterinas and a harlequin, but I was worried the asterinas wouldn’t reproduce fast enough and that I might get a little sad about the whole sea star feeding thing... 

46 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much... no I haven’t seen it, I’d love to... have you? 

I had considered calling it starry night and doing asterinas and a harlequin, but I was worried the asterinas wouldn’t reproduce fast enough and that I might get a little sad about the whole sea star feeding thing... 

I have. It really is a stunning piece. It's living in New York for the people that don't known and want to see it.

Asterinas would be a great touch, but the harlequins - eish... I think that they are beautiful creatures but the whole eating live starfish part of their diet is too much for me.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

I have. It really is a stunning piece. It's living in New York for the people that don't known and want to see it.

Asterinas would be a great touch, but the harlequins - eish... I think that they are beautiful creatures but the whole eating live starfish part of their diet is too much for me.

Yes, I was just looking up the location... would be great to get there to see it someday! 

My daughter has always said that one day she wants to keep a tank dedicated to asterinas... 

MainelyReefer
32 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

I am loving your aquascape! I used this heater it does not take up much space at all, thanks to @SeaFurnI have it on an inkbird controller the cheapest one and thinks have leveled out temp wise for sure. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M665MNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure I’d trust that heater, it says not to put your hands in the tank if the heater is in the water.  Good vote of confidence from the manufacturers 30B969F8-72CD-4858-AEA8-E6B759D000AE.thumb.png.870b7c090574280f339fc089029b905f.png

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, GtownSalty said:

I am loving your aquascape! I used this heater it does not take up much space at all, thanks to @SeaFurnI have it on an inkbird controller the cheapest one and thinks have leveled out temp wise for sure. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M665MNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And thanks about the scape... the Caribsea Liferock always makes it so easy to come up with something decent. I was stressed out about work last night and couldn’t sleep, so I took the opportunity to remove the little nub of rock that was sticking out too far and touching the back glass... it wasn’t easy, that stuff is super hard! First I tried a hammer and chisel, then I just switched to smacking it directly with the hammer... glad I didn’t ruin it!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2