Cultivated Reef

banasophia

EfrainChicagoDeepdish

As a fan of octopuses, the painting is so cool!  I am excited to see what is in store for this tank.  Great start! 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

As a fan of octopuses, the painting is so cool!  I am excited to see what is in store for this tank.  Great start! 

Thanks so much! Yeah, it’s funny, when my daughter did that painting, it was meant to be a tree, but it immediately made me think of a torch so of course I had to pop it in a frame and put it by my tanks... definitely looks like an octopus too, especially on its side like I have it here.

4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I am sure they will love a world where nan tanks rule. How has the evaporation on this tank been?

Haha, yeah, hope they love it! I anticipated the evaporation in this tank, so I ordered an ATO from the get go and set it up the night before last. It was an extremely tight fit squeezing the heater, ATO sensor, and ATO tubing in the very small return chamber, but it seems to be working as it’s supposed to so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the looks of the Nero style wavemaker, but it seems they have developed a small reputation as fish killers so be careful, maybe invest in a guard

• Wow 1
27 minutes ago, ef4life said:

I like the looks of the Nero style wavemaker, but it seems they have developed a small reputation as fish killers so be careful, maybe invest in a guard

On no that’s terrible... my fish literally just arrived at my door and now I’m afraid to add them with that powerhead. 

2 minutes ago, banasophia said:

On no that’s terrible... my fish literally just arrived at my door and now I’m afraid to add them with that powerhead. 

I didn’t mean to scare you, most likely it’s not really a major issue, but I would invest in a guard for it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

34269BB8-9B07-48FC-AB49-BD060356D696.thumb.jpeg.14b71712997c8e3396eeccd20b1a6000.jpeg

Jack & Rose

Adorable little guys! Nice Pyrex too. I have the same one. 😉

Neon/sharknose gobies have such cool personalities. I love the gravity-defying way that they sit on the glass, the silicone seams of the tank, etc. I think this little tank will be an excellent habitat for this pair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, ef4life said:

I didn’t mean to scare you, most likely it’s not really a major issue, but I would invest in a guard for it.

Well I’m glad you mentioned it, definitely don’t want me fishies to get chopped up in my wavemaker. 😬😳  It may not be an issue with the Jebao version of the pump though, as the back of this one doesn’t have the large openings you see on the Nero. But to be on the safer side, I went ahead and ordered a guard from Melev’s Reef... cuz... what’s another $35 on top of the rest of the money I’ve spent. 😜 

Here’s a pic that kinda shows the back of my Jebao:

4785558A-6B26-4A4E-9679-7E8948BFED8F.thumb.jpeg.da897b296cf814d42a5aa3f982efb52a.jpeg

Versus here’s a video showing the back of the Nero, and how the guards work on them:

• Like 3
8 hours ago, billygoat said:

Adorable little guys! Nice Pyrex too. I have the same one. 😉

Neon/sharknose gobies have such cool personalities. I love the gravity-defying way that they sit on the glass, the silicone seams of the tank, etc. I think this little tank will be an excellent habitat for this pair.

Thanks! Yes they are so cute!! I really wanted a mated pair of fish that would be happy in a small tank, so I was pleased to find that KP Aquatics had them... I really like for my fish to have buddies. 

I kept a single clownfish in my Nuvo 10 for a while, but that’s because it had its nem. I actually had two clowns in that tank In the beginning, but I rehomed the other one because it wouldn’t go near the nem after a couple months of trying, and just seemed lonely to me, hanging out by itself in the corner all the time.

• Like 1

Cute lil fish. 💙 Enjoyed observing them tonight, and trying to see what they like to eat. 

99BF60A5-7086-4311-BBD5-48B573A0AB24.thumb.jpeg.bf8dc9efd93ea52d7c0b2812c5ba4fd9.jpeg

9EA4A3CB-0E0E-4B3F-84AC-B2AFCE10454E.thumb.jpeg.1bd7c261783c1b9e0d87437aba317315.jpeg

A8A5EB10-AEA3-467F-9E1A-5B37BD1FB4D8.thumb.jpeg.0a3945a5f5d91ede3bc15bce4cfd8660.jpeg

BC206FE8-3790-4201-BF37-7BF4688A016C.thumb.jpeg.6d8075a3b885772f2f9a46aa47ab513e.jpeg

860338DB-24C9-48DD-902C-47E85895C1D3.thumb.jpeg.4de0a4d58f1e43376fc24fa18b59e7c1.jpeg

• Like 11
22 hours ago, banasophia said:

Cute lil fish. 💙 Enjoyed observing them tonight, and trying to see what they like to eat. 

99BF60A5-7086-4311-BBD5-48B573A0AB24.thumb.jpeg.bf8dc9efd93ea52d7c0b2812c5ba4fd9.jpeg

9EA4A3CB-0E0E-4B3F-84AC-B2AFCE10454E.thumb.jpeg.1bd7c261783c1b9e0d87437aba317315.jpeg

A8A5EB10-AEA3-467F-9E1A-5B37BD1FB4D8.thumb.jpeg.0a3945a5f5d91ede3bc15bce4cfd8660.jpeg

BC206FE8-3790-4201-BF37-7BF4688A016C.thumb.jpeg.6d8075a3b885772f2f9a46aa47ab513e.jpeg

860338DB-24C9-48DD-902C-47E85895C1D3.thumb.jpeg.4de0a4d58f1e43376fc24fa18b59e7c1.jpeg

Dizam look at you with fish already 🤗 I still need to make something work from this box o rocks 😂

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Dizam look at you with fish already 🤗 I still need to make something work from this box o rocks 😂

Had to swoop em up quick! What’re you waitin for? 

• Like 3

Quick question. Before you got this tank wet did you fill in the slot between the tank and the AIO filter section and the one between chamber 1 & 2? This is supposed to help make sure all the water passes through the filter media and I think also some thing about the water level in the chambers. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Quick question. Before you got this tank wet did you fill in the slot between the tank and the AIO filter section and the one between chamber 1 & 2? This is supposed to help make sure all the water passes through the filter media and I think also some thing about the water level in the chambers. 

I can tell you I did not I did block the bottom hole on the front of chamber 1. I also used the in tank basket little doohicky to insure the basket sucks right up the wall

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

2 hours ago, GtownSalty said:

I can tell you I did not I did block the bottom hole on the front of chamber 1. I also used the in tank basket little doohicky to insure the basket sucks right up the wall

Ah, looks like I did the opposite... I DID use the plug that came with the inTank media rack to fill the hole... only cuz it was there and they recommended using it, I didn’t really do any research on it. If the media rack hadn’t come with it, I would have left it open. Seems the hole may be there to provide continued water flow into the back chambers if the water level drops from evaporation and can’t reach the intake area up top?

I DID NOT use the plastic doohickey surface skimmer piece. 

B9CB912A-5C7D-4BCE-B70A-8C44358784D6.thumb.jpeg.a06397bf5194a2338d8bd654a8427313.jpeg

9C39B56C-AA55-48DD-ADB4-BCB6EFA9B8A1.thumb.jpeg.fa64bd7db7ef2b2026d9191e318f2f48.jpeg

• Like 3

I think that surface skimmer thing only makes if you use the sponge filter thing. So in tank has the hole tank to filter plugged but not the hole between chambers. Still it looks like a lot less water can surpass the filter media now. It's some times dangerous watching those "How to set up" and "How to modify" videos. Today I saw making some holes in the tubing that goes from the pump to the return hole. It is supposed to keep the water in that chamber moving and not be so stagnant. Seems that would reduce the flow to the tank even more. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I think that surface skimmer thing only makes if you use the sponge filter thing. So in tank has the hole tank to filter plugged but not the hole between chambers. Still it looks like a lot less water can surpass the filter media now. It's some times dangerous watching those "How to set up" and "How to modify" videos. Today I saw making some holes in the tubing that goes from the pump to the return hole. It is supposed to keep the water in that chamber moving and not be so stagnant. Seems that would reduce the flow to the tank even more. 

Oh yeah that’s weird... I don’t think I’d make any extra holes between the chambers or in the return tubing, seems good to me as is...

3 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh yeah that’s weird... I don’t think I’d make any extra holes between the chambers or in the return tubing, seems good to me as is...

I actually noticed the water in the return chamber got very stagnant and since I upgraded my pump I did poke very small holes into the return tubing and I had good results with it. Didn’t seem to effect my display flow too much, but got the water in that chamber moving 

• Like 1

I absolutely misspoke about the intake surface skimmer from In Tank. Theirs is to help make sure the surface water doesn't get a film on top. When I commented I was thinking about the little handle thing that is on the supplied sponge filter. You can also keep the water surface moving by aiming flow up easy since the out put nozzle is so close to the surface or add bubbles!

• Like 1
On 2/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, banasophia said:

Just ordered my Cobalt NeoTherm 25W heater, a Jebao SLW-10 wavemaker, and a Smart Micro ATO... never ceases to amaze me how fast everything adds up, even with a small tank... I can’t even imagine the expense involved in running a large reef. 

I haven’t used one of these Jebao SLW-10’s yet... I use a Jebao OW-10 in my Biocube 16 and really like it, and figured I’d try out this new model in the new tank. And my daughter uses an inTank media basket in her Fluval Flex freshwater tank and we really like it, so I decided to go ahead and get this upgrade now rather than using the stock sponge/media holder that comes with it, which we weren’t crazy about in the Fluval Flex... plus I think I’ll be able to fit more Seachem Matrix Media in the inTank basket. 

Cobalt Aquatics Flat Neo-Therm Heater with Adjustable Thermostat (Fully-Submersible, Shatterproof Design) from 25W to 300W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGHH8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GDyuEbJBVA9A8
-> does not seem to fit

Jebao SLW Series SINE Wave Flow Wave Maker Pump with Controller for Aquarium Fish Tank (SLW-10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0816FG89X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-DyuEbXR5280N

inTank Media Basket for Fluval Spec, Spec III and Evo 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H56OH4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GEyuEb74QFZFG

AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro Automatic Top Off System (SATO-120P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195D3LC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_pFyuEbJNS2ZT6

I had over 15K on my DSA 105. One day when you come home from a trip you see everything dead you either cry 😭or get out of the game 😎. That is if you are not up to a challenge. On the other hand learn everything you can and make sure that you have the space to do what you need to fit your lifestyle. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

I had over 15K on my DSA 105. One day when you come home from a trip you see everything dead you either cry 😭or get out of the game 😎. That is if you are not up to a challenge. On the other hand learn everything you can and make sure that you have the space to do what you need to fit your lifestyle. 

Oh man... I can’t even imagine how devastating that would be... just happened to someone here locally over the summer and I was so amazed by his ability to move past it and start over again. 

• Like 1