Cultivated Reef

banasophia

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I do not think it looks bad at all. Corals look open.

Thanks. 🤗 I don’t think I’ve posted a tank pic before where I didn’t even clean the glass... luckily all the corals aside from the zoas with the pox are doing okay... one branch of the gorgonian close to the torch still hasn’t started opening up again after sustaining a bad sting from the torch before I moved it... hoping it will recover. 🤞

• Like 3

I admire keeping the stock light, it shows that it can grow coral. I thought it was brave to add the mandarin but I can see how in time the feeding would be an algae issue in that little tank. I am loving it that you can keep him in the 16 biocube fairly easily though  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Looking good!

I have been scoping out the competition. 

Thanks so much, your tank’s looking good, too!! I really love the mangroves!!

3 hours ago, MarieH said:

I admire keeping the stock light, it shows that it can grow coral. I thought it was brave to add the mandarin but I can see how in time the feeding would be an algae issue in that little tank. I am loving it that you can keep him in the 16 biocube fairly easily though  

Thank you! I think the stock light’s pretty decent. My corals are all growing pretty well.

I really liked having my mandarin and yellow clown goby in this tank because I saw them so much more since this tank is right next to me while I work, but I don’t want to encourage people to stock a mandarin in a tank this small. My little guy pigs out on pellets, so he’s a pretty easy little fish, but that’s definitely not the norm. 

• Like 6
This guy is extra salty
12 hours ago, banasophia said:

Thanks so much, your tank’s looking good, too!! I really love the mangroves!!. 

Thanks it’s like the only thing that you can visibly see that’s growing lol 😂 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the tanks are all just doin their thing... I wish I had more energy to devote to them, but for now I’m just maintaining them the best I can. The acan is growing lots of new heads and the candy canes are fluffy and starting to divide as well.

One weird thing happens when photographing this tank... sometimes I get lucky and the image looks almost true to life (though darker) like in the first two pics.  (I always run this tank with whites aside from the last 30 minutes of the night when I switch to blues to give Jack my neon goby a transition before lights out.) But most of the time it looks like blues are on, even when it doesn’t look blue at all. Sometimes I can tap the camera, or snap a pic, and it will switch to a truer looking image but only briefly then fades back to blue. I’m not sure what’s going on... need to research it... let me know if you have seen this or have any tips. The clip on lens does not seem to help. 

32BFBD8D-7D32-409D-938B-F9E45781ECBB.thumb.jpeg.8d11eb1103ef99d537e9c70f8d9a4ae8.jpeg

E73FE42A-500D-4317-B248-63EF67F6EC8F.thumb.jpeg.e83ca4c2626e1791b91679cee227f967.jpeg

1FABC73A-FA4A-432E-BBA4-4E4BE6762358.thumb.jpeg.6fae32f5f94c90924377251ea7245b60.jpeg

4A30D1E4-6071-4B1E-9702-92AC7EF73442.thumb.jpeg.d8348fbb8bcc7ad875bf5296e359617e.jpeg

E60CA16E-DCC8-4B36-9AB3-FB2C1988D0F3.thumb.jpeg.cb45faacdcab4012bd22d436ba7556bd.jpeg

• Like 7

The only thing you can really do is adjust the white balance to 10k+, the camera is taking a picture of what's more "true to life", it's human eyes which can't accurately see what the tank looks like.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Nothing too exciting transpiring in here, it’s just a simple low maintenance tank, which I can’t complain about. I added a yellow rock flower which crawled into the shade and sweeper reach of the candy cane, so it’s not too happy... I’m hoping it will move to a better spot. 

348A89AE-A6DA-4360-A09D-290798BD7D35.thumb.jpeg.394430828d3ae2c4b3ef877817665e4f.jpeg

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, Aqua Splendor said:

I like the torch euphilia

"You better not funk with me boys"

Potential for zoa below it.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, I had some zoas but apparently the crabs ate them. 😤 Maybe I’ll give it another try! 🤗

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The Evo 5 is still plugging away. Had some delayed water changes maybe three times in a row where I did every two weeks instead of weekly, which led to some increased algae growth... looks like GHA, but may be bryopsis because the sea hare I tried to put to work on it wouldn’t even touch it... though the sea hare did enjoy eating most of the knopia 😤... also accidentally did an extra big water change one of those times because I wasn’t paying attention while siphoning, removed maybe 75%, and that was not good... lost several snails and looked like the start of dino but I dosed some Microbacter 7 and thankfully that cleared up. 

Jack, my blue neon goby, is still around, but I couldn’t get him to come out for the pics. 

70091EB0-1EE2-403B-9AC1-822F41244676.thumb.jpeg.fbf5c264faf3d233596dcb96f41fecc0.jpeg

C10CE17C-46B2-4191-819E-AD02FEB76BC2.thumb.jpeg.0cef98dd693e54ddbc520b857e3d3339.jpeg

• Like 6

i'm sorry i made an account here just to tell you im super jelouse and love your aquarium !  i am practically going to copy it all other then the mandorin if you dont mind 😛 , beautiful art work as well.

• Like 3

Aww thank you so much @James.L, that was really nice of you to say! And Happy New Year!! 

This tank has been very low maintenance; the only issue is that the light doesn’t have a timer so I just go in and turn it on to the white lights when I get up in the morning and then I turn it to the blues after I finish feeding the fish, then turn it off when heading in to bed. 

You are totally welcome to copy it! 😊 It’s been such an easy tank that I’ve considered doing a YouTube on how to start one up because I think it would make a pretty decent and lower budget tank to learn on. 

If you decide to add some kind of artwork to the back side (which I think makes it look extra nice), you just need to be sure to laminate it, and I think I posted about the big laminator and paper I ordered for it. 

Let me know if you have any questions, I’d be happy to try to help. 🤗

• Like 1

thanks alot.  I currently just had my second child so space is limited and the gf hates my 20g.. which i must admit there are lights and wires and junk everywhere... its not very pretty.    So im going to downgrade to this very beautiful set up.  i also purchased this silly thing on amazon https://www.amazon.ca/WuyouChy-Filler-Aquarium-Tortoise-Controller/dp/B07RSQB1H9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=WuyouChy+Auto+Top+Off+Water+Filler+Aquarium+Mini+ATO+System+Fish+Tortoise+Tank&qid=1609530061&sr=8-1 so that i could keep it cheap and simple haha.  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, James.L said:

thanks alot.  I currently just had my second child so space is limited and the gf hates my 20g.. which i must admit there are lights and wires and junk everywhere... its not very pretty.    So im going to downgrade to this very beautiful set up.  i also purchased this silly thing on amazon https://www.amazon.ca/WuyouChy-Filler-Aquarium-Tortoise-Controller/dp/B07RSQB1H9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=WuyouChy+Auto+Top+Off+Water+Filler+Aquarium+Mini+ATO+System+Fish+Tortoise+Tank&qid=1609530061&sr=8-1 so that i could keep it cheap and simple haha.  

That ATO looks cool, but the only thing I’m worried about is that it may not fit with the lid, and I think the stock lid looks pretty nice if you’re keeping the stock lights. You don’t happen to be local to me in NorCal do you? I have an extra smart micro ATO I ended up not needing, and frags I could give you. I’m thinking you may be in Canada though based on that amazon link... 

14 minutes ago, James.L said:

i would have really appreciated that, but yes im canadian.   im also in the sticks with no LFS i get everything from Montréal shipped by bus..lol

Ah yeah, that would be challenging! 

russell.dexter

Awesome set-up @banasophia!

Ordered an evo v that should be arriving tomorrow- cannot wait to set it up!

How is that Jebao in regards to flow? I know that one of the first things I am going to want to tinker with is the flow. Afraid of a whirlpool though

Thanks for posting this nano!

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, russell.dexter said:

Awesome set-up @banasophia!

Ordered an evo v that should be arriving tomorrow- cannot wait to set it up!

How is that Jebao in regards to flow? I know that one of the first things I am going to want to tinker with is the flow. Afraid of a whirlpool though

Thanks for posting this nano!

Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Both the jebao and the hygger mini seem to be good choices for this tank on their lowest settings, at least with my scape anyway. I did discover my female neon goby was dead and was sucked up against the back of my jebao, so it’s possible it could have been the wavemaker, but I really don’t know... I did switch to the hygger after that. 

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...