Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

HAHA you folks are the best!  such enablers 

the think is once we move in 3-4 months I will have a basement fish room complete with AWC system, slop sink and plenty of counter top space.  so my plan is to have the nano challenge down there. but then then I have to find a place for it in our 1 bed room barn with 2 other tanks. but at least I sold the res sea 750XXL so that should count for something right!?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, GtownSalty said:

Good Morning,

I have never done a challenge like this! It gave me the perfect excuse to do an office tank! I have picked up the Fluval Evo 5 and while I know it is pretty basic I am going to do a flower themed tank ( I hope). I ordered the 606 pump and intank media basket as up grades as well as adding 2 blue only strips to the light. Still figuring out heat but will start a thread as soon as I get all the items in and have it at work. I hope I doing this right.....

May

welcome! I have yet to do one as well I missed the last two. it seems like alot of fun.

sounds like a nice little office tank you have there. I wish I had an office tank in the spa massage room ,be so nice!  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, devaji108 said:

I am between a few tanks  10-20 gal. and some how I gotta convince the GF...

any tips and tricks form you fine folks on how to convince the other half its a good idea? 

Build it and say we talk about it, you don't remember the talk we had? It is the same as when they buy something and said we talk about it.

• Haha 1

Ah crap! I so badly want to join in the competition, but I just don't have the money, space and permissions to start a new tank.

Even though the Fluval Spec 4 is on special right now on takealot.com and I have a voucher lol.

But I am looking forward to seeing what people come up with. Good luck to everyone!

• Sad 3
Chadicus Meridius
3 hours ago, GtownSalty said:

Good Morning,

I have never done a challenge like this! It gave me the perfect excuse to do an office tank! I have picked up the Fluval Evo 5 and while I know it is pretty basic I am going to do a flower themed tank ( I hope). I ordered the 606 pump and intank media basket as up grades as well as adding 2 blue only strips to the light. Still figuring out heat but will start a thread as soon as I get all the items in and have it at work. I hope I doing this right.....

May

Good luck can’t wait to see how it looks.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Wingy said:

I have been checking Craigslist and OfferUp every day and there is nothing within 60 miles. 

Same here. guess that is what I get for living in the middle of nowhere. I am between DIY and just dropping the $$ on a 20 gal tank. 

15 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

Same here. guess that is what I get for living in the middle of nowhere. I am between DIY and just dropping the $$ on a 20 gal tank. 

I don't  live in the middle of nowhere.  There are a lot of large tanks just no aio's.  I sent a message to the lfs.  Maybe he has something used.  

On 2/6/2020 at 4:22 PM, Seea said:

I’ve been in the freshwater hobby for a year

which do you like more freshwater or saltwater?

Did you start with a nano or a big tank?

dis you start with freshwater or saltwater?

I started when I was a kid in the early to mid 80's with fresh water.  I got into breeding beta's, guppies and swordfish.  I got my first saltwater tank in 88 or 89.  I used to get my water directly from the ocean as I lived in Miami Beach, Florida.  It was really hard keeping anything alive back then as I had virtually no clue of what I was doing.  I learn talking to people.  Back then there was so little knowledge of what to do.  And if read anything from a marine biologist it made very little sense. So you tried different things all the time.  I finally settled and was successful keeping sharks, lionfish and marine beta's.  From there it grew. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, RudyEnt said:

I started when I was a kid in the early to mid 80's with fresh water.  I got into breeding beta's, guppies and swordfish.  I got my first saltwater tank in 88 or 89.  I used to get my water directly from the ocean as I lived in Miami Beach, Florida.  It was really hard keeping anything alive back then as I had virtually no clue of what I was doing.  I learn talking to people.  Back then there was so little knowledge of what to do.  And if read anything from a marine biologist it made very little sense. So you tried different things all the time.  I finally settled and was successful keeping sharks, lionfish and marine beta's.  From there it grew. 

Swordfish? Swordtails right?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dafish said:

as soon as this challenge started. I started finding tanks all over the side of the road got two others at the house now to bad there not aio 

FEB4AAF6-7E94-4645-B514-4EE89921EE1A.jpeg

lucky you, might not be AIO but they can be 😄

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dafish said:

as soon as this challenge started. I started finding tanks all over the side of the road got two others at the house now to bad there not aio 

Pick up some black acrylic or ABS, a tube of aquarium safe silicone, and boom- you'll have a custom AIO tank with retro simulated wood frame 🙂

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Pick up some black acrylic or ABS, a tube of aquarium safe silicone, and boom- you'll have a custom AIO tank with retro simulated wood frame 🙂

Thanks I’m going to have to look into it. Does it have to be a certain size or just big enough to fit the return pump and other things. Never built one before 

3 minutes ago, Dafish said:

Thanks I’m going to have to look into it. Does it have to be a certain size or just big enough to fit the return pump and other things. Never built one before 

Assuming your tank is large enough to accommodate it, I like to build each chamber large enough to get my whole hand into for cleaning purposes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Dafish said:

If you found it with that lid, it used to be a reptile tank.  Be careful and wash it really good before adding any fish in it.  By the way lucky you.

2 hours ago, RudyEnt said:

If you found it with that lid, it used to be a reptile tank.  Be careful and wash it really good before adding any fish in it.  By the way lucky you.

And if it's a reptile tank, they typically aren't made to be filled to the top with water (so they use thinner glass).  They are usually water tight, but they could fail on you down the road.

• Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic