Innovative Marine Aquariums

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

growsomething

Starting a nano tank for this challenge.  It was great to happen to see this challenge and decide to pull this mess out of the closet.  Looking forward to the motivation to make something again I'll enjoy.  Not much reefing experience here, and I like unconventional, simpler tanks and methods.  Maybe I'll go with a modern automated system before it's over.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

star trek mind blown GIF

I've gone back and forth for the last hour. I really want to allow this one, but it just barely doesn't pass the test. 😫

It is technically a single all-in-one style tank with internal partitions, since the front, bottom and back panels of glass are single pieces and the two halves cannot be divided. However, because the two halves are not plumbed together in any way, they are actually two separate ecosystems, and therefore considered two separate 'tanks' for the sake of this competition.

Welllll... is there a rule that you can only enter one tank? Couldn’t they enter it and just consider it two: lefty, righty? And in that scenario even better... two powerheads.

Or... if they really wanted it to be one, could they make a little hole between the left and right sides in the back chambers so they actually are all one system? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

The jars could be divided in two, creating a half cylinder display.  An uptake tube with an elbow exiting the filtration chamber would supply the flow.

Kind of tempting to set this up.  I mocked up a 2 gallon jar in CAD.  If anybody thinks this contest has to be expensive, or take up a lot of space, you might consider doing something like this:

aiojar.jpg.b2095569bdb08bdc9c9e9e47941d97a0.jpg

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Kind of tempting to set this up.  I mocked up a 2 gallon jar in CAD.  If anybody thinks this contest has to be expensive, or take up a lot of space, you might consider doing something like this:

Do it! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

You got me eying up a Mason jar

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

now that is an interesting idea. I might play around with that ...

OR

I might just splurge. I have so many ideas I think I could do 3 tank if only I had the time, money and energy to ad to my already 2 tanks..haha 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
This guy is extra salty
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

This looks interesting 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

star trek mind blown GIF

I've gone back and forth for the last hour. I really want to allow this one, but it just barely doesn't pass the test. 😫

It is technically a single all-in-one style tank with internal partitions, since the front, bottom and back panels of glass are single pieces and the two halves cannot be divided. However, because the two halves are not plumbed together in any way, they are actually two separate ecosystems, and therefore considered two separate 'tanks' for the sake of this competition.

Not be be a pain here or trying to stretch the rules, but if I drill holes to make them one ecosystem then would this qualify? I am not looking to spend a fortune here on tanks, but to give me the options of the front  to quarantine fish, inverts and corals into different chambers before they go into my 30L  and having some fun competing.

I am also not looking into spending money on another InkBird controller, multiple ATO's,  multiple WTC (after contest) and other expensive equipment.

If it comes down to the issue of the prizes then if by any slim chance that I would win then give it to the 2nd place winner. As I really do not need it has I already have an Apex classic and a new Apex controller as well.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
5 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Not be be a pain here or trying to stretch the rules, but if I drill holes to make them one ecosystem then would this qualify?

If you can document that they are connected internally, I will allow it, as long as you treat both sides of the display as 'one tank' for the sake of documenting the monthly competition FTS. In theory anyone else could divide the display portion of their AIO tank in half too, or similarly divide an AIO tank's display portion to create a 'drop off' style AIO tank.

I am honestly eager to see it happen, it's a neat idea. These contests lead to interesting new concepts and discoveries. I wonder if you could simply connect them through the filtration side only. Drilling would make me nervous though.

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty

everyone talking about tanks 

I still haven’t started mine. But my stand is almost finished!  This DIY stuff is hard 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
12 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I still haven’t started mine. But my stand is almost finished!  This DIY stuff is hard 🤣

Better hurry only a year to go.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

I saw an actual tank like this for sale at a pet store near my home around 2 weeks ago. It's sold as a betta tank though, but the design is pretty much the same as your picture. I did consider getting it, but it's quite small (<2G) and I wasn't sure how I could put one of my older Aquazonic lights over it since the tank is circular, and the light is rectangular with tiny metal mounts/clips at the sides. Plus, it cost RM 88, which is quite expensive for a tank that size, I felt. Might cave in and get it though. Scaping will be hell, I bet. 😞 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Get on my level bro-

IMG_20200207_190908.thumb.jpg.f99b173abe43bbd75cad10839cb16b72.jpg

IMG_20200207_190915.thumb.jpg.60f1e3371c3b37e569bfefef1795febb.jpg

No more rats nest wiring. We going balls deep with custom PCBs this time :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 4
This guy is extra salty
27 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Get on my level bro-

IMG_20200207_190908.thumb.jpg.f99b173abe43bbd75cad10839cb16b72.jpg

IMG_20200207_190915.thumb.jpg.60f1e3371c3b37e569bfefef1795febb.jpg

No more rats nest wiring. We going balls deep with custom PCBs this time 🙂

I’ve done that with faux xr15s definitely a fun project. 

i could say the same thingA23C9325-FB11-48EA-86EF-9DB061DDF216.thumb.jpeg.b4e109ae45c8fcd48669cd88ba5809f6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
On 2/1/2020 at 9:25 AM, KnH said:

Decisions , Decisions 

Would have to be DIY

Is it bad that I have too many dry tanks to choose from 

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Do the larger column!! Do one skinny center pillar scape  and coral branching off!

• Like 3
14 hours ago, seabass said:

Cool! That’s similar to what I was thinking about doing with my former Reef bowl! 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

If you can document that they are connected internally, I will allow it, as long as you treat both sides of the display as 'one tank' for the sake of documenting the monthly competition FTS. In theory anyone else could divide the display portion of their AIO tank in half too, or similarly divide an AIO tank's display portion to create a 'drop off' style AIO tank.

I am honestly eager to see it happen, it's a neat idea. These contests lead to interesting new concepts and discoveries. I wonder if you could simply connect them through the filtration side only. Drilling would make me nervous though.

I can and will. Only one wave maker during the contest and somehow connect the two back chambers to act as one. Working one it......

Tank has been ordered 🙂

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

I can and will. Only one wave maker during the contest and somehow connect the two back chambers to act as one. Working one it......

Tank has been ordered 🙂

if you can do it in a way that you can closes it up. you never know down the road you might wast a FW/SW type of thing. good luck I am excited to see this tank come together. 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic