Top Shelf Aquatics

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

4 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Just you 

Ba dum tiss 🥀

been looking for something but cant find one for 10 bucks................:biggrin:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I debated that too, the SW Evo V, but then I thought no, I’ve wanted that silly little AquaTop cube for so long and I want it to go in a specific small place, be less fuss, so I’ll stick with it. 

Did you get it?!?! Are you gonna get it?!?! 

I really want you to get it... and then tell me how great it is, so I can get it too. Not that I have a need or use or reason to get it... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

This is a lot of tank for 50 bucks!

Easy sliding glass lid for feeding 

MVIMG_20200206_181639.thumb.jpg.8ee46c3b8e8ba5779e0ab771e8b55ac0.jpg

Cartridge holder that could be modded into a filter basket with no fuss

MVIMG_20200206_181700.thumb.jpg.fb9415cf53ba3008a265a0e53fa57f2c.jpg

The only big change it needs is some more holes drilled at the top and the bottom grate plugged. Probably a bigger pump too if not using a powerhead in the DT. 

Dang....that is one nice tank for $50 and some change.

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
41 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I really want you to get it... and then tell me how great it is, so I can get it too. Not that I have a need or use or reason to get it... 

I’ll be getting on in April or May 

42 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

the little AquaTop? Waiting for payday. Can get it off amazon for $10 cheaper than in the LFS and I wanted to get two more

individual switch power strips too. Was torn about whether to get it in the store or amazon... still kinda torn. Will see maybe Saturday. If she’s still got the one in stock I’ll probably take it and if not I’ll get it from Sancho’s people. Have some back up

plans for if I have to order it and wait, like getting some live rock and seasoning it in the sump, using water from the SCA to start without any cycle. Is that cheating, to bypass a cycle for the most part? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a deal with it... spend 65 and save 15. So you could get the tank + something else for 50 bux. Its pet items, cat, fish dog, i saw biospira, prime, and such on the list. 

Are you sticking with the stock light on that or getting something stronger?

A5E313AC-7F2A-4A9C-BEA6-A5117C8242BC_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.07fbed29094b5668784cca1f8d5ca983.jpeg

Here is my official entry. I was going to use this as quarantine tank. But what the heck you can always get another one for that. These are very nice looking, but not a lot of room for anything. Light gotta go, but everything else is workable.

Officially remove this tank from the 365 day challenge and will be entering a different one.

Edited by Coolbreeze
  • Like 6
8 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Are you sticking with the stock light on that or getting something stronger?

I got plenty of spare lights, probably use a tide. I saw a video of the stock light growing coralline I think though so it could maybe grow mushrooms or xenia??? 

• Like 2

Hi all - Been following the thread and reading everyone’s posts the last few days! The anticipation for this is killing me and makes me want to join in!  I can’t decide though. The path I’ve been on has been to get my Old School pico contest tank recovered and thriving - which it didn’t really do during the contest. During that time, I don’t think I was keeping enough nutrients in the tank and it shows now. I lost some livestock which bums me out but It’s on the road to recovery. I’d really like to see it thriving. So that’s one option.

OR, I originally thought about joining in by just taking the old school tank and moving everything into an AIO...and I know that’s allowed but...it just didn’t seem right and now I’ve had an idea about doing something completely different and unconventional. Yes, I’d use the same coral from the old school tank, but I would also add to it along the way. I’ve got an IM10 and a Lifegard 4 gallon available...so wouldn’t really need any additional equipment.  I’d just have to decide which to use 

So - keep the old school pico tank AS IS and get it recovered and thriving (sitting this one out) OR move everything into an AIO and join in OR go completely unconventional and join in? Help me decide! 

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Hi all - Been following the thread and reading everyone’s posts the last few days! The anticipation for this is killing me and makes me want to join in!  I can’t decide though. The path I’ve been on has been to get my Old School pico contest tank recovered and thriving - which it didn’t really do during the contest. During that time, I don’t think I was keeping enough nutrients in the tank and it shows now. I lost some livestock which bums me out but It’s on the road to recovery. I’d really like to see it thriving. So that’s one option.

OR, I originally thought about joining in by just taking the old school tank and moving everything into an AIO...and I know that’s allowed but...it just didn’t seem right and now I’ve had an idea about doing something completely different and unconventional. Yes, I’d use the same coral from the old school tank, but I would also add to it along the way. I’ve got an IM10 and a Lifegard 4 gallon available...so wouldn’t really need any additional equipment.  I’d just have to decide which to use 

So - keep the old school pico tank AS IS and get it recovered and thriving (sitting this one out) OR move everything into an AIO and join in OR go completely unconventional and join in? Help me decide! 

I was going to say you better join! Upgrade the 2.5!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

hmmm that is a hard one eh? how about this keep the old school pico and do the unconventional AIO? best of both worlds?

on a side note how do you like the little  llifeguard tank?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, devaji108 said:

hmmm that is a hard one eh? how about this keep the old school pico and do the unconventional AIO? best of both worlds?

on a side note how do you like the little  llifeguard tank?

I'd like to but I really don't want a thrid tank going.  There is room for another on the cabinet though....

The Lifegard tank is very very nice. Low iron 45 degree Cut glass!   It's 4  gallons - but the acutal display size is almost exactly the size of the 2.5 gal pico so you're picking up the extra volume in the rear chambers.  It's never been wet.  Got it 2 Christmas' ago and was about it set it up when the Old School contest was annouced.  

I'm thinking the IM10 might be a better size for my unconventional idea though.   

Ahhhh....just can't decide what to do..... 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Tamberav said:

This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a deal with it... spend 65 and save 15. So you could get the tank + something else for 50 bux. Its pet items, cat, fish dog, i saw biospira, prime, and such on the list. 

14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

This is a lot of tank for 50 bucks!

The only big change it needs is some more holes drilled at the top and the bottom grate plugged. Probably a bigger pump too if not using a powerhead in the DT. 

Nice! I think they're a fair deal at that price, probably one of the better mainstream brand smaller AIO tanks. The pump is not very high flow but it is very quiet, ours has been on a nightstand next to my girlfriends side of the bed for over two years- no complaints from her on the sound level. I've been considering replacing it with one of the Hydor pico pumps, but I'll see how it runs after I throw a koralia up front, as I think it's probably enough flow for the back section in a tank this size when it's not the primary pump. I don't think I'll be blocking the lower holes on mine, as I think you would need a bunch more slots to compensate if you planned on high flow through the back.

The light is trash, even for freshwater plants 🙂

14 hours ago, Seea said:

What is better live rock or dry rock?

I’m probably going to get a fluval AIO

I personally like to do about half to two thirds of my structure in dry, and then a few nicer pieces of pest free well established live. That way you save a bit of money and can pick and choose the nicer stuff to fill it in. Also gives options for the rock that eventual coral purchases may be already on to have some room. A good way to go is start with mostly dry, let it cycle with a few pieces of live thrown in with the lights out and the tank covered to prevent algae. After it's cycled add more live and then start a nice light schedule. If you have some chaetomorpha added once you start lighting this will give you a nice head start that will be mostly free of nuisance algae and pests. That's how I did my 40 breeder and six months later my dry rock is as nice as any rock you would buy at the usual reefing shops.

Got mine wet and threw some dry sand in it last night , but forgot to take pics 🙂

I'll let it run a day or two and then start siphoning sand from the 2.5 into it, and start throwing some rock into it. Need to hit my storage unit to dig through my dry rock to make some main structure, as what I have in the 2.5 is pretty small stuff.

• Like 1

Untitled.png.627a539c94bac0b4820648e835136e0c.png

So I may change my mined on the tank for this contest as it seems as others are doing the same one. What would be the ruling on the above design. Two 10 gallons with divider in the center. Unit is an AIO so that would qualify, but would I be able to use two wave makers (One on each side)? A lot of possibilities on this design if allowed.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Chadicus Meridius
19 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

So I may change my mined on the tank for this contest as it seems as others are doing the same one. What would be the ruling on the above design. Two 10 gallons with divider in the center. Unit is an AIO so that would qualify, but would I be able to use two wave makers (One on each side)? A lot of possibilities on this design if allowed.

Interesting concept.

MaineReefkeeper
44 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Looks like the new IM Encore 20. Love the idea!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Is that the new IM tank?

46 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

I was wondering if anyone was gonna use this tank.

that is a good question about the PH I personally dont have a problem with it but I dont make the rules sooooo lets see.

50 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Wow, what a cool tank. That would be really interesting to use for doing comparisons like live rock vs dry rock w/ beneficial bacteria product. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Coolbreeze said:

Reminds me of those little Betta Tanks, wonder if anyone has converted one of those

https://www.bigalspets.com/aqua-one-betta-trio.html

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MaineReefkeeper said:

Looks like the new IM Encore 20. Love the idea!

It is and I like the idea since they just released them this would really by nice to be the first one doing it.

13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Is that the new IM tank?

It is, was just released

5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Wow, what a cool tank. That would be really interesting to use for doing comparisons like live rock vs dry rock w/ beneficial bacteria product. 

I thought the same thing

11 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

I was wondering if anyone was gonna use this tank.

that is a good question about the PH I personally dont have a problem with it but I dont make the rules sooooo lets see.

It is IM 10 g tanks together, so technically it is within the 20g limit and there are separate tanks so I am not sure would be a problem. But I think it sure would be nice to try this out. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, devaji108 said:

Man I was really hoping this contest would be cheap to join in. was hoping i could use a petco tank and a cheap filter. but the more I look into it, its adding up.

anyone came up with a cheap option?

I am trying to right now to cheapo DIY an AIO but it is not that much cheaper than just buying a cheaper AIO tank. I spent about $60 in stuff I absolutely needed, not including stuff I just want aesthetically. You'd probably be the same money-wise if you stayed around that amount just buying an AIO

Also, with any DIY, there's always the chance it looks fugly and you just have to scrap it 🥵Fingers crossed haha

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic