ReefCleaners.org

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

18 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I don't know how long I have been in this salt hobby, maybe 13 years? I don't have much experience with fresh.... I mean I had goldfish as a kid and betta fish in highschool. Shrug.

I’ve been doing this just over 1 year now. And I struggled to keep Glowfish alive for like 6 months of it 😂. I had so much trouble starting my freshwater tank at first it made any trouble with the SW tank look minimal. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Seea said:

I’m thinking some Duncan’s candy canes,some Zoas,frogspawn, and chalices

Cheap option PAR38 bulb, maybe a Asta 20/Pixie 30 Saltwater version? Chinese Black Box LED, Kessil A80, ai prime

Get more expensive as the list goes on, for me in the UK at least.. You may have other options too

Chadicus Meridius
1 hour ago, Lingwendil said:

Yes 😄

I like both for different reasons- I find freshwater to be more fish focused and reef tanks to be more invertebrate focused in general for me, although I really like planted tanks when I have the time to actively trim and maintain them often. If anything I find planted tanks require more frequent maintenance than a reef when they are growing well. At least, if you want it to look good and not be a huge messy jungle 🙂 

If I were to set up another large tank anytime soon it would definitely be a freshwater build. Reefing becomes expensive very quickly for larger systems unless you build nearly everything- which I don't have the time to focus on currently. Small builds work better for me when I'm busy.

Yea I have seen how expensive reefing has become so I tried a freshwater planted tank I’m getting a dwarf puffer soon

Chadicus Meridius
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Cheap option PAR38 bulb, maybe a Asta 20/Pixie 30 Saltwater version? Chinese Black Box LED, Kessil A80, ai prime

Get more expensive as the list goes on, for me in the UK at least.. You may have other options too

I was thinking the current USA marine orbit when my tank got settled. My budget is 500 dollars. My dad is going to help pay for the tank.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Seea said:

I was thinking the current USA marine orbit when my tank got settled. My budget is 500 dollars. My dad is going to help pay for the tank.

nice $500 can go a long way not as long as FW but still that is a good budget for a SW tank,

is that for tank,heater lights and rock or you expect to get coral for that too?

welcome to Reefing BTW,

I have been tempted to set up a FW planted even got all the goods for a  40BR heigh tech ...just a guy can have only so many tanks...so the GF says anyway

• Like 1
Chadicus Meridius
8 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

nice $500 can go a long way not as long as FW but still that is a good budget for a SW tank,

is that for tank,heater lights and rock or you expect to get coral for that too?

welcome to Reefing BTW,

I have been tempted to set up a FW planted even got all the goods for a  40BR heigh tech ...just a guy can have only so many tanks...so the GF says anyway

I was hoping I could get a tank, maintenance ,heater,rocks, and maybe coral.

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Waiting for amazon all day to deliver my tank :rant:

What tank is it?

5 minutes ago, Seea said:

What tank is it?

This: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a deal with it... spend 65 and save 15. So you could get the tank + something else for 50 bux. Its pet items, cat, fish dog, i saw biospira, prime, and such on the list. 

Chadicus Meridius
11 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

welcome to Reefing BTW,

Devaji my FW tank is a fluval spec 2.6 gallon which I set up a year ago... I finally decided to get a fish for it. Micro swords were able to grow, also java moss, Anubis’s nana, amazon sword. Set it up for like 200$ not including tank.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Waiting for amazon all day to deliver my tank :rant:

just because you are waiting... kinda like a boiling pot of water. lol 

dont worry its not like it bouncing around in the back of the UPS truck or anything...

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Seea said:

all depends on what you get. if you live in a city check out the used tanks. I have seen some great deals to be had.

IMHO dont rush in and buy the 1st tank you see.  spend some time looking around the forums and YT and see what you like.

think about the end goal. get a tank that you will love not one just to jump in this contest ( altho I hear its fun) 

I like

fiji cube

Inovative marine

waterbox

red sea

SCA

heck even the 40br from petco 1 per gallon sale makes some amazing tanks worth thinking about!    

5 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

just because you are waiting... kinda like a boiling pot of water. lol 

dont worry its not like it bouncing around in the back of the UPS truck or anything...

Worse!! It is just some amazon kid... probably throw it at my door 😱

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Worse!! It is just some amazon kid... probably throw it at my door 😱

oh they better not I am also waiting to see this tank. its on my short list 

so I expect some good pics and what not...HAHA 

Chadicus Meridius

What is better live rock or dry rock?

9 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

all depends on what you get. if you live in a city check out the used tanks. I have seen some great deals to be had.

IMHO dont rush in and buy the 1st tank you see.  spend some time looking around the forums and YT and see what you like.

think about the end goal. get a tank that you will love not one just to jump in this contest ( altho I hear its fun) 

I like

fiji cube

Inovative marine

waterbox

red sea

SCA

heck even the 40br from petco 1 per gallon sale makes some amazing tanks worth thinking about!    

I’m probably going to get a fluval AIO

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Seea said:

I’m probably going to get a fluval AIO

I debated that too, the SW Evo V, but then I thought no, I’ve wanted that silly little AquaTop cube for so long and I want it to go in a specific small place, be less fuss, so I’ll stick with it. 

• Like 2
Chadicus Meridius
6 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I debated that too, the SW Evo V, but then I thought no, I’ve wanted that silly little AquaTop cube for so long and I want it to go in a specific small place, be less fuss, so I’ll stick with it. 

Ima try to do the fluval evo 5

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Seea said:

Better at what?

Live rock will have more diversity of life.  This is usually good, but could also include pests.  There are fewer vendors and there are often minimum orders when buying online.  If offered good quality live rock, or dry rock, I'd almost always choose live rock.

Dry rock will lack diversity and people have had issues like dinos which some attribute to lack of diversity.  However, there are ways to add more diversity.  Dry rock is also cheaper and easier to aquascape.  There's even an argument that dry rock has less environmental impact, but there are a number of factors in determining this.

However, for what it's worth, almost all of my rock was originally dry.

• Like 3
Chadicus Meridius
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

Better at what?

Live rock will have more diversity of life.  This is usually good, but could also include pests.  There are fewer vendors and there are often minimum orders when buying online.  If offered good quality live rock, or dry rock, I'd almost always choose live rock.

Dry rock will lack diversity and people have had issues like dinos which some attribute to lack of diversity.  However, there are ways to add more diversity.  Dry rock is also cheaper and easier to aquascape.  There's even an argument that dry rock has less environmental impact, but there are a number of factors in determining this.

However, for what it's worth, almost all of my rock was originally dry.

To answer your question, will live rock help more than dry rock(I’m pretty sure live rock will, but the pest) 

so should I start with live rock,dry rock, or a mixture ?

• Like 1

This is a lot of tank for 50 bucks!

Easy sliding glass lid for feeding 

MVIMG_20200206_181639.thumb.jpg.8ee46c3b8e8ba5779e0ab771e8b55ac0.jpg

Cartridge holder that could be modded into a filter basket with no fuss

MVIMG_20200206_181700.thumb.jpg.fb9415cf53ba3008a265a0e53fa57f2c.jpg

The only big change it needs is some more holes drilled at the top and the bottom grate plugged. Probably a bigger pump too if not using a powerhead in the DT. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Chadicus Meridius
Just now, Tamberav said:

That looks awesome, can’t wait to see it set up.

3 hours ago, Seea said:

I’ve been in the freshwater hobby for a year

which do you like more freshwater or saltwater?

Did you start with a nano or a big tank?

dis you start with freshwater or saltwater?

I started with a freshwater beta in a tiny hex jar. I was probably 8-9years old. Had fresh for a few years then dad basically got rid of my tank and got a saltwater setup for the family. I’ve had saltwater pretty much ever since

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The only big change it needs is some more holes drilled at the top and the bottom grate plugged. Probably a bigger pump too if not using a powerhead in the DT. 

That’s nice looking!!

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic