Top Shelf Aquatics

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

9 minutes ago, banasophia said:

A new forum member that can prove their tank started in the timeframe shouldn’t need to be labeled as a “rule breaker” in the competition in my opinion... they should be welcomed to our community.

Hence why I said at the very least.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

Ok so I got a few tanks on the list now just to decide and convince the GF I need a 3rd tank. looking hopeful to join! 

each tank has it's own pros and cons or course...

Just hide it in a closet or under the bathroom sink. Hahaha just kidding

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, banasophia said:

A new forum member that can prove their tank started in the timeframe shouldn’t need to be labeled as a “rule breaker” in the competition in my opinion... they should be welcomed to our community.

Being welcoming to someone is one thing. Bending the rules for the start of a contest that many people have been waiting for is another. 

There are reasons for having specific entry guidelines, and that is why an announcement is posted with PLENTY of time to get things ready and to give all an equal chance to enter. 

@PNWCustomAIO, please don't take any of this as a personal attack. As I stated, long time members know these contests pop up and it's something we wait (un)patiently for. We would love to have you, or anyone join in the contest, so long as you have a proper entry, which can be clarified with Chris once he is able to. 

If you'd like to not wait, as stated by other members, a few buckets can be used to drain water, hold your rocks, sand, and chromis, and you can get a quick picture to enter the contest. It shouldn't take too long, and it's a good idea to have spare buckets on hand anyway - many hobbyists run into issues where they may need to do a 100% water change or take out and scrub the rocks.

• Like 11
22 minutes ago, PNWCustomAIO said:

Seems like more people are skeptical about me entering as a contestant than are supportive

Nobody is skeptical, unfortunately it's just that as a contest there needs to be some kind of uniformity. Even if you don't feel like you can dry it out for the contest, I'm sure people here would like to follow your aquarium progression anyway. I know I follow and enjoy many 😅 Anyway you are pretty much at good spot right now where you can easily move your rocks / water into a bucket for a quick condiment pic right now if you so choose to join. It wouldn't even interrupt your cycling. 

• Like 8

I know it’s a pain to pull rocks/sand/fish and water out, but I’m looking at the same thing anyway for a different tank today. It’s still a simple thing to do, and you may even like the chance to change up the rock scape while you do it. But CM did highlight the dry tank with condiment rule in red so I would think that was an important rule to him.

• Like 7
Toxic Aquatix

Here is my entry tank for the #365daychallenge 

As of after this post, I will begin mixing freshsalt water using my rodi unit.

Here is the link to my journal as well as my elegibility picture.

Thank you so much for putting on this competition!

20200212_084136.jpg

• Like 10
Christopher Marks
On 2/8/2020 at 9:31 AM, Coolbreeze said:

Funny you should say that as I was thinking the same thing. Meeting with a friend today that does glass and acrylic work. I was thinking of drilling two holes in the back glass and use bulkheads to connect them with some piping that I have already have here, then later on I can either remove the connection and replace with iceprobe chiller on each side or leave as it. Being separate will cost more in hardware and add complexity.

You could potentially drill a hole between them with a Dremel and diamond grit glass cutting bit. You'd need a right angle Dremel adapter to get in the tight space, but if successful it would be easier to plug the hole internally to divide the tanks at a later date.

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

If I understand the startup rules correctly, I don’t think the tank has to be wet by the end of the month, you just have to have the tank and equipment, start your build thread with the pic of the tank with condiment, and announce your entry in this thread with the link.

Yup, that's correct. Tanks don't have to be filled with water by the 29th, just entered with a journal thread and dry condiment in tank photo.

12 hours ago, PNWCustomAIO said:

Any mods that can PM me about my build? I built my own AIO. I started designing it on 2/4/2020, laser cut and siliconed it on 2/6/2020, put live rock, water, live sand, turbostart, and some used filter media in on 2/9/2020, put a chromis in to help the cycle on 2/10/2020, but didn't see this until someone posted about it in the Facebook groups late night on 2/10/2020. 

At this point, I am too far to be able to take everything out. I don't have the ability to completely empty my tank out again. 

Is there anyway I can still be in with my DIY tank? It was designed and built well within the time parameters. Please let me know, thanks.

Sorry that I cannot be more accommodating, I'd personally love for you to participate in the competition, but I have to draw the line somewhere. The condiment in a dry tank rule is one I must stick to hard and fast, as others have already been held to it as well.

You can still drain your tank and reset it for a quick photo to qualify before the deadline. That's our barrier to entry for the competition, quirky as it is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, growsomething said:

Something to think about, seabass.  My previous tanks were 10+ ys ago, and I collected from the beach, on an incoming tide.  I was hoping for all the good stuff that comes with "live water".  In the summertime we have beach closures due to fecal contamination from drenching rain and runoff.  Wonder what low amounts of that do to a nano tank.  Maybe I got lucky years ago.

A lot of the Aussie reef tanks use NSW, a lot of the shops sell it by the litre. Once we move I will be using it. 

• Like 3

Peace out people. This is not the kind of inclusive and welcoming community I want to be a part of if we need to make it this difficult for new people to join in. To all my haters - party time for you, feel free to rejoice. Anyone that wants to keep in touch, I can be found on Instagram and Facebook under the same name. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Toxic Aquatix
18 minutes ago, PNWCustomAIO said:

I certainly understand why you guys are worried, especially with me being a newbie and having no prior posts. Wish I had the time to just take down, and start over a tank, but that is certainly not the case this month, and very unreasonable. I'm cramming 3 weeks of work into 2 weeks.

It would seem fair to be in the competition due to the circumstances of the situation. I started after the start date, but due to lack of knowing of the competition either on my part, or from the lack of advertising on the Facebook pages, youtube, or elsewhere, I went forward with my project. I have about a hundred of other pictures, drawings, concepts, purchases, etc all starting and through after the start date. The facebook post that I saw on 02/10/2020  did not have the information on the food in the tank, and I didnt see that bit until after I created an account, and joined. 

There is a big difference between mainiting the tank and doing a 100% water change due to a tank crash or necessity, and destroying your tank just for fun. I am up for the neccessary work and maintenance on the tank as I grew up around SW tanks, and growing up on a boat I have some aquatic background. I also keep multiple freshwater tanks and have a set maintaining schedule for all 5 of my tanks. 

If anyone is in Portland Or, you can come over and help me do that while I have to run my business and prepare to pertain to personal family matters a few states away. 

This seems like more effort than fun at this point. As well as added unnecessary costs buying more equipment, water, bacteria, etc.

I kind of figured you would be a little more accommodating since we are in the same boat with family issues that are more important to deal with, but the voice of reason was not on my side. 

To me this is just another hobby of mine. Cars, drones, go karts, motorcycles, etc. I love to share and be active in each community, but I dont really have the time for unnecessary problems. I actually build, design, and model for my full time job. When there is a hobby I'm into, and I have fun building, I typically make new innovative ideas and pieces for the community to try and test. Just to be different, just to make something new, but not to get rich.

However, there is no way in hell I'm taking my tank apart. I spent way too much time, got way too much superglue on myself, sand on the floor, and spilled too much water all over to want to do it again. Just to maybe win a prize that I dont even need...

I'll probably just stick to making things for people on facebook and avoid this forum. I can't stand stupid people that are stuck in their ways with no willingness to change in sight. I find that most forums are crowded with that type of people. 

This is why lots of forums are struggling and dying now days. The old members cult up, and force away the new members. Facebook groups are much easier to use and share, and they're available on a much larger platform with more users. 

If you guys would like to follow my builds, and see what cool things I make down the road, I'll be posting on various Facebook groups. 

For now, see ya guys. 

20200211_001227.jpg

Screenshot_20200212-094954_Messenger.jpg

Buddy, i just learned of the competition two days ago. If you look at my journal, you'll see that I got started last night on my tank. Less than 24 hours and its currently filling with rodi water and then will add salt and begin cycling. Im a reef newbie too. In fact, im over in terrebonne oregon so not far from you. I also run a business and take care of all household chores for my family. Really, if your only a couple weeks into your tank and want to enter the competition, spend a day off and a few 5 gallons buckets, and just get it over with. Mind you, i have a full dedicated fish room, 125 planted freshwater work tank, 29 planted grow out, two 20 long grow outs for the fish I breed, a 40 breeder with a couple south american cichlids, multiple 10 gallon breeder tanks that are constanly being cycled for breeding, a couple geckos, a frog, turtle, a few finches, a few outdoor ponds, a full garden; all this while starting my new nano tank for this competition. 

What they are asking of you to participate is beyond reasonable.

• Like 11

It seems like there is confusion between welcoming and helping members in this hobby, versus expanding the rules to include more people in a contest.  Nano-Reef contests are mostly for fun and camaraderie, not for the prizes (although some of the prizes are often quite nice).  Recognizing the time demands that you are under, many of us still encouraged you to continue to compete in a non-official capacity.  I wish you luck, your DIY tank is quite impressive.

• Like 14

@PNWCustomAIO you’re still allowed to write a build journal and engage with the community. It’s just that your current setup is non-compliant with the contest rules, and is therefore ineligible to win the competition. others have been told that their desired setup was non-compliant as well, and so they either had to make changes to comply, or forfeit their eligibility in the contest. 

It sounds like your life is very busy right now. It may be wise to put your reefing aspirations on a brief pause and return when you have more expendable time at your disposal. I myself had to take almost a year off from the hobby about a year ago due to how hectic my personal life was at the time. I’m grateful that things have mellowed enough for me that I’m able to enjoy my favorite hobby again. 

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find this hobby as enjoyable as myself and everyone else here has found it to be. 

• Like 8

Really it’s looks like some people are defining spoiled for us in real time. All of these tanks are 20g or less. One big tub or 5 buckets tops would empty the tank. It’s not that hard. And it’s not unreasonable. But it is pretty self absorbed, pompous and entitled to come on here and be like “I’m a new member, bend the rules for me or else I’m leaving”. Bend one rule and then which others will you demand be bent? The sump part? More pumps for flow? Maybe enter a 200g tank as a rule breaker category? The rules are the rules. Follow or don’t. Stay or don’t. No reason for the extra drama.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
growsomething

Agreed, something else must be going on in their life.  It's not unreasonable to ask for an exception, but I wouldn't do it, and it does seem illogical and unreasonable to respond that way.  It's just a nice little competition.  I hope banasophia stays here, I just followed her "getting to know you" thread. 

In no way is anything I'm saying designed to sway this Christopher Mark's opinion towards my build.  I would never, ever do that 😎😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, PNWCustomAIO said:

I certainly understand why you guys are worried, especially with me being a newbie and having no prior posts. Wish I had the time to just take down, and start over a tank, but that is certainly not the case this month, and very unreasonable. I'm cramming 3 weeks of work into 2 weeks.

It would seem fair to be in the competition due to the circumstances of the situation. I started after the start date, but due to lack of knowing of the competition either on my part, or from the lack of advertising on the Facebook pages, youtube, or elsewhere, I went forward with my project. I have about a hundred of other pictures, drawings, concepts, purchases, etc all starting and through after the start date. The facebook post that I saw on 02/10/2020  did not have the information on the food in the tank, and I didnt see that bit until after I created an account, and joined. 

There is a big difference between mainiting the tank and doing a 100% water change due to a tank crash or necessity, and destroying your tank just for fun. I am up for the neccessary work and maintenance on the tank as I grew up around SW tanks, and growing up on a boat I have some aquatic background. I also keep multiple freshwater tanks and have a set maintaining schedule for all 5 of my tanks. 

If anyone is in Portland Or, you can come over and help me do that while I have to run my business and prepare to pertain to personal family matters a few states away. 

This seems like more effort than fun at this point. As well as added unnecessary costs buying more equipment, water, bacteria, etc.

I kind of figured you would be a little more accommodating since we are in the same boat with family issues that are more important to deal with, but the voice of reason was not on my side. 

To me this is just another hobby of mine. Cars, drones, go karts, motorcycles, etc. I love to share and be active in each community, but I dont really have the time for unnecessary problems. I actually build, design, and model for my full time job. When there is a hobby I'm into, and I have fun building, I typically make new innovative ideas and pieces for the community to try and test. Just to be different, just to make something new, but not to get rich.

However, there is no way in hell I'm taking my tank apart. I spent way too much time, got way too much superglue on myself, sand on the floor, and spilled too much water all over to want to do it again. Just to maybe win a prize that I dont even need...

I'll probably just stick to making things for people on facebook and avoid this forum. I can't stand stupid people that are stuck in their ways with no willingness to change in sight. I find that most forums are crowded with that type of people. 

This is why lots of forums are struggling and dying now days. The old members cult up, and force away the new members. Facebook groups are much easier to use and share, and they're available on a much larger platform with more users. 

If you guys would like to follow my builds, and see what cool things I make down the road, I'll be posting on various Facebook groups. 

For now, see ya guys. 

20200211_001227.jpg

Screenshot_20200212-094954_Messenger.jpg

Honestly, I don't understand why your getting so upset. I was in the same position you are and cycling my tank (after the challenge started) before I learned of it. I was able to drain and empty my 20g tank into 4 5g buckets, take the pic, and refill it in less than 3 hours. It was not that difficult. You would do well to also keep in mind that once you start bending the rules for one person you have to also bend them for everyone else. This would end up making all the rules meaningless and the challenge itself pointless. Nobody wants that to happen. 

• Like 10

So much drama 🤭 Well as someone who is relatively new to this forum I think the contest is fair and the condiment picture is a fun quirky thing that isn't asking a lot. If someones life is too busy to follow the rules, it's okay just understand you won't qualify for the contest. That's not against new members that's just the rules, which there's even still time for him to comply with if he so choosed. 🤗

• Like 7

The drama only happened today. Maybe it will fade and we can get back to bringing our competition tanks online. I know I have some good updates 😃

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Beers a condiment right? It’s kinda like that hot sauce “I put that s**t on everything” 🤗 Still unsure if I’m entering though. 

00ECB721-49E7-4029-B9B3-9F42384F4403.jpeg

Beer battered fish! Or do you prefer the shrimp? 🤔😀 Either way I think it should count.

• Haha 1
Toxic Aquatix
36 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Beers a condiment right? It’s kinda like that hot sauce “I put that s**t on everything” 🤗 Still unsure if I’m entering though. 

00ECB721-49E7-4029-B9B3-9F42384F4403.jpeg

Hahaha i put Tabasco in my tank!

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic