inTank Media Baskets

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

1 minute ago, devaji108 said:

if you can do it in a way that you can closes it up. you never know down the road you might wast a FW/SW type of thing. good luck I am excited to see this tank come together. 

Funny you should say that as I was thinking the same thing. Meeting with a friend today that does glass and acrylic work. I was thinking of drilling two holes in the back glass and use bulkheads to connect them with some piping that I have already have here, then later on I can either remove the connection and replace with iceprobe chiller on each side or leave as it. Being separate will cost more in hardware and add complexity.

As far as fresh water maybe a nice shrimp tank mite sound interesting......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

anyone else struggling with there theme?  I have a few I cant decide... 

Despite what theme I have planned, it's probably gonna end up "whatever was cheapest at the LFS" 😉

• Haha 4

Mines wet and lit-

large.IMG_20200207_203012.jpg.38ad4320e8807d5ffc255dd7345672af.jpg

Threw in a bit of live rock from the 40 breeder just to get it started. Need to grab some dry from my storage unit but we are a go!

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, devaji108 said:

anyone else struggling with there theme?  I have a few I cant decide... 

I'm actually still trying to figure mine out although I'm leaning toward some type of "beginner" theme since this is my first ever reef tank. I'm open to suggestions though if you want to share any. 😁

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Jerad81 said:

I'm open to suggestions though if you want to share any.

Just a few options:

• A specific color (like green)
  • Caribbean, Pacific, mangrove...
  • Macro algae
  • A specific type of coral
  • A species specific tank (like a mantis shrimp)
  • A tribute to something (like Minecraft, Lego, etc)
  • A specific type of aquascape
  • Cold water
  • NPS inverts
  • Janky
  • Budget
  • Aquacultured only
  • Throwback theme (aquarium decorations, air bubbler, etc)
  • Low or high tech
  • Like 4
27 minutes ago, seabass said:

Just a few options:

• A specific color (like green)
  • Caribbean, Pacific, mangrove...
  • Macro algae
  • A specific type of coral
  • A species specific tank (like a mantis shrimp)
  • A tribute to something (like Minecraft, Lego, etc)
  • A specific type of aquascape
  • Cold water
  • NPS inverts
  • Janky
  • Budget
  • Aquacultured only
  • Throwback theme (aquarium decorations, air bubbler, etc)
  • Low or high tech

What about a "LFS only" theme? If I can't get it locally from my lfs then I don't order it from an online source? 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Jerad81 said:

What about a "LFS only" theme?

I've often considered doing a PETCO only theme.  With most people not liking PETCO, I think it would be really neat to show how cool of a reef you can build with everything coming from PETCO.  I'm not doing it this time, but maybe someday.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've often considered doing a PETCO only theme.  With most people not liking PETCO, I think it would be really neat to show how cool of a reef you can build with everything coming from PETCO.  I'm not doing it this time, but maybe someday.

So your saying its going to be an ich tank...…….:lol: 

I don't think some Petcos are that bad really. Hell I bought a nice sailfin tang from one years ago...….was my favorite fish for a long time until it outgrew the tank and had to re home it. But will say have walked into a few that couldn't give me a fish from there system...…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Both my misbar clowns and my royal gramma came from petco, but our local petco is very inconsistent in how well their systems do. 

No way I'd ever buy their trash "live rock" that looks like boulders or any of their very overpriced aquacultured corals though, they're always super small and washed out looking.

3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, that would be interesting! Unfortunately I live in Des Moines, Iowa so our PETCO's don't have anything for saltwater fish tanks. So far I've only been able to find one store that does and they are locally owned and only sell saltwater items. They've been a pretty awesome source of information for me to lean on so far.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Mines wet and lit-

large.IMG_20200207_203012.jpg.38ad4320e8807d5ffc255dd7345672af.jpg

Threw in a bit of live rock from the 40 breeder just to get it started. Need to grab some dry from my storage unit but we are a go!

i see you have good taste in chocolate 🙂 or is that for the fish???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, SliceGolfer said:

Hey Gang - 

I'm officially in on this AIO 365 day challenge with a Waterbox Aquarium Cube 20. Looking forward to a year of fun with this tank!

Hey, I'm not the only 20g in the contest! I was starting to think everyone else was going to be 5g or less 😥

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
4 hours ago, Jerad81 said:

Hey, I'm not the only 20g in the contest! I was starting to think everyone else was going to be 5g or less 😥

I’m building a 20g 😂 

• Like 5

I am between a few tanks  10-20 gal. and some how I gotta convince the GF...

any tips and tricks form you fine folks on how to convince the other half its a good idea? 

any tips and tricks form you fine folks on how to convince the other half its a good idea? 

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission 😁

fyi - I’m single 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Forget good idea; it's basically a bad idea (time and money pit).  However, if it's something that you enjoy, hopefully she will be (or get) onboard.

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty
3 hours ago, devaji108 said:

You start packing up her shit. When she asks why, you tell her it’s cause the new tank build. If She gets mad keep going, if not then you say it’s her tank 😂 either way it’s win win. 

• Haha 2
MainelyReefer
7 hours ago, devaji108 said:

Take her to Marshall’s and let her pick out the furniture for the tank, that’s what I did.... it works. Be prepared to buy other s*** too though🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good Morning,

I have never done a challenge like this! It gave me the perfect excuse to do an office tank! I have picked up the Fluval Evo 5 and while I know it is pretty basic I am going to do a flower themed tank ( I hope). I ordered the 606 pump and intank media basket as up grades as well as adding 2 blue only strips to the light. Still figuring out heat but will start a thread as soon as I get all the items in and have it at work. I hope I doing this right.....

May

• Like 9
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic