SaltCritters.com

365 Day All-in-One Nano Reef Challenge 🏁

Christopher Marks

Yeah, I feel bad about the situation.  I was hoping to be helpful by trying to interpret the rules for him.  I hope that my tone (which can be easily misinterpreted online) wasn't taken the wrong way.  I actually tried to encourage him to participate, and even welcome him to our forum.  But the reaction does make one wonder how well it would have worked out anyway.

• Like 7
On 2/12/2020 at 12:55 PM, debbeach13 said:

Following about 26 tanks so far plus 2 not sure if in the contest yet. Considering the last couple days to enter usually brings quite a few contestants this is going to be epic.

Thanks, nice to see your commitment to the contest. 

21 hours ago, Tamberav said:

At the very least we could add a rule breaker category again?

Yes that was cool for people who just wanted to tag along

14 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

The drama only happened today. Maybe it will fade and we can get back to bringing our competition tanks online. I know I have some good updates 😃

but this is the month of Dramarary 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
18 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, I feel bad about the situation.  I was hoping to be helpful by trying to interpret the rules for him.  I hope that my tone (which can be easily misinterpreted online) wasn't taken the wrong way.  I actually tried to encourage him to participate, and even welcome him to our forum.  But the reaction does make one wonder how well it would have worked out anyway.

dont feel too bad....... he’s trashing NR all over FB. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, SassyPistol said:

Yeah it's something that freshwater shrimp keepers use a lot. The mat provides good surface area for shrimps to graze but you are right, i am not sure how the same thing would work in saltwater. I am thinking it may needs to be taken out and cleaned like a regular sponge filter during water changes. Not sure if that would count as a rule breaker or not.... awaiting the judge's opinion. lol

Can I get a judges opinion on something similar? 🙃

Does it count for an AIO if I have a rockwall that's non-permenant, i.e. being held in place by suction cups?

I tried to silicone it in place but all I got was little smudges of clear silicone over the entire glass of the tank, heh 😅Not gonna lie I really wanna just give up and leave it as is

• Haha 4
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

I thought he was too busy.  Sounds like he found some extra free time. :unsure:

Sounds like he needs to get a life.  I'm so sick of the entitlement crowd I could puke, get over yourself already. 

• Like 10
8 hours ago, SassyPistol said:

So... a friend of mine showed me the challenge and I ended up creating an account to ask my questions. lol

The first and the biggest question for me is: does a standard Aqueon aquarium with a MATTEN FILTER at one end counts as an AIO aquarium??

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Nano reef!

that is a very good question. I dont make the rules but it would seem like as long as the heater and pump are behind the sponge it should not matter what material you use. acrylic, glass sponge etc.  

I would how well they would work for saltwater tho? might get clogged up pretty fast? do you clean weekly  in SW? 

anyone out there use this type of filter on SW tanks?

like I said I cant make the call but I am curious to see what other say and what the boss man says about this one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

Welcome to Nano reef!

that is a very good question. I dont make the rules but it would seem like as long as the heater and pump are behind the sponge it should not matter what material you use. acrylic, glass sponge etc.  

I would how well they would work for saltwater tho? might get clogged up pretty fast? do you clean weekly  in SW? 

anyone out there use this type of filter on SW tanks?

like I said I cant make the call but I am curious to see what other say and what the boss man says about this one. 

@SassyPistol I used to run these on my Freshwater tanks and replaced the foam every 4-6 months as it just got inundated with crud and sent my nitrates sky high

I expect that you'd have to keep on top of the maintenance in a SW tank, also little CUC members like brittle stars and bristle worms would likely infest this along with a good pod condo I would expect

• Like 1
Just now, Ratvan said:

Used to run these on my Freshwater tanks and replaced the foam every 6 months as it just got inundated with crud and sent my nitrates sky high

I expect that you'd have to keep on top of the maintenance in a SW tank, also little CUC members like brittle stars and bristle worms would likely infest this along with a good pod condo I would expect

I was thinking the same. I am very curious how this would work in a nano reef.  a cheap-ish way  to set up an AIO.

• Like 1
Just now, devaji108 said:

I was thinking the same. I am very curious how this would work in a nano reef.  a cheap-ish way  to set up an AIO.

Personally I wouldn't class this as an AIO as you wouldn't have a seperate area for the equipment, but that's just me.

However the corner HMF always worked better for me as I could have an increase in surface area and therefore beneficial bacteria in the tank, they were also really useful for dividing betta tanks

I'll leave that decision for CM

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

you wouldn't have a seperate area for the equipment

Actually, your pump, heater, ATO float valve could all fit behind the sponge wall.  I'm not sure if it qualifies either, but it could separate the equipment from the display.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Actually, your pump, heater, ATO float valve could all fit behind the sponge wall.  I'm not sure if it qualifies either, but it could separate the equipment from the display.

That is exactly the issue I have with it (not that that counts) but for the purpose of discussion/playing devil's advocate; see rule below

On 2/1/2020 at 3:11 AM, Christopher Marks said:

No filtration equipment is allowed inside the display portion of the tank.

Arguably the foam is the first stage of the filtration process (mechanical) and as a result going by the above I could see it not being allowed. I can also see it from the other point of view and the material of the AIO component not being important and the HMF being allowed

🤷‍♂️

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I agree. I feel for the guy, as it's obvious that his tank is new. But others before him asked the same question and got the same answer. Makes me sad sad that @banasophia is judging the whole community on this unfortunate incident. I believe we are collectively a very welcoming, helpful and encouraging group of people, including @banasophia herself. 

Perhaps for future contests, announcements can be posted on facebook and twitter at the same time they are posted here. Would likely bring more people to our Forum, and help eliminate the "but I didn't know 😩" drama.

Listen, I *may* have overreacted when I stormed out like that yesterday 😬😬😬... I’m sorry. It is strongly in my nature to stand up for noobs and underdogs. I’m also very loyal, but that usually comes second in my hierarchy, so after I did it I felt bad that my protectiveness of the new person overrode my loyalty to my friends in here, and Christopher Marks. But it is seriously like a fundamental part of my being, sometimes to a fault I know, that I will protect a new person or someone that I perceive is being ganged up on, like every time no matter what. It’s not the first time I’ve done this here, so many of you already know this about me and either accept it, or even really dislike me because of it because it comes across that I’m judging you, when really it’s just that I’m defending them. But if you’re an underdog or noob, you can count on me and my protective instinct. 😬🤗

I was excited about the contest, and posted it in a bunch of spots; I’m always encouraging people to come join Nano-Reef. 

That guy came in here because of my post in Facebook. He was so excited to join in when I posted it, and seemed like a cool, interesting guy and I was excited that you all would also be interested to see his diy setup and get to know him. I really thought the condiment rule was for fun, and designed to prove the tank startup in the right time frame, so I thought we would be able to waive it to welcome him in anyway if he could show the proof. He’s got a trip he’s getting ready for to take care of a sick family member, so emptying the tank to prove he started it in time with the condiment when he already could show other proof seemed like an unnecessary hoop to me.

I thought maybe we’d be able to have a rule for brand new members cuz I was looking at the contest differently I guess, and I thought it was a fun way to engage some fun new people. There were a few others besides him that just started tanks last week that I was encouraging to join in. I haven’t done a contest before... I guess I really didn’t realize before how hard core ya’ll are about the rules... now I know... it’s serious! 😉😁

tl;dr  sorry I was a jerk and stormed out in a huff, it was wrong of me... just wanted to help the new people

• Like 11
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

dont feel too bad....... he’s trashing NR all over FB. 

Where? Does he have his own page or something, or just "venting" in groups? I don't see anything on any of the groups I'm on.

anybody have creative ideas on how to build upwards with your rockwork for tall builds? I'm trying to figure out the best way to still have a few shelves of rock for coral placement without having a rockpile all against the back wall. Maybe a PVC frame with a bunch of holes in it, and zip ties or fishing line to hold the rockwork to it?

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, Lingwendil said:

anybody have creative ideas on how to build upwards with your rockwork for tall builds? I'm trying to figure out the best way to still have a few shelves of rock for coral placement without having a rockpile all against the back wall. Maybe a PVC frame with a bunch of holes in it, and zip ties or fishing line to hold the rockwork to it?

Make a platform for the rock

kind of like a floating rock scape

you will have a bunch of drilling and hammering to do 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

whoaaaa never heard of that filter before... had to look it up. It's like it's part AIO as you could hide heaters and such behind it but also part a filter since the divider is a mechanical sponge filter itself. Mind blown!!!

I feel like keeping such a thing clean in a salt water environment would be a pain though. 🤔

They use them a lot in broodstock grow out tanks. I have one I use for my Comet (Marine Betta) grow out tanks. You have to use SO much food for the little guys that a large pore filtre works very well at keeping ammonia and nitrite at bay. They're also very big in Europe in freshwater breeding and grow out tanks. Most of the people that use them in either a corner or whole side with gravel glue in glass strips to keep gravel out.

• Like 3

I've got a big 12" round bit of rock that is very porous,/cavernous (pretty open structure but all small crevices) I ll take a hammer and chisel, maybe even a saw to it tonight hopefully.

3 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

I'd stick them together with Emaico or putty.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

They use them a lot in broodstock grow out tanks. I have one I use for my Comet (Marine Betta) grow out tanks. You have to use SO much food for the little guys that a large pore filtre works very well at keeping ammonia and nitrite at bay. They're also very big in Europe in freshwater breeding and grow out tanks. Most of the people that use them in either a corner or whole side with gravel glue in glass strips to keep gravel out.

I've used them for breeding setups in the past- and really like them. I'm not so sure I would want one in a display tank or ina place full of tiny little inverts like we do in reef, you'd lose a lot at each cleaning...

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic