ReefCleaners.org

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

It's a rare "mood nem".

Like a mood ring... but an anemone... 

Never even heard of that before? Does that mean that it’s mad, or depressed? Or happy?😂

It looks good other than that. Really looks like a carpet if you google carpet nem.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

It's a rare "mood nem".

Are you joking, bc I searched that up and literally nothing came up?

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m having a problem. I had to move one of my rocks bc my nem was slowly moving towards the mushroom that was on that rock, but when I was placing the rock down, the mushroom was gone? I literally looked all over the tank, I was moving rocks and moving sand, but I still couldn’t find him? I’m so confused. I know he didn’t get sucked up in the filter.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I made sure I didn’t lay a rock on him, could he just be hiding somewhere? And will he survive wherever he is? Like if he doesn’t like the spot will he move?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 hours ago, kimberbee said:

It's a rare "mood nem".

I’m not street smart sorry. It’s hard to tell if you are joking over a online message 

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not street smart sorry. It’s hard to tell if you are joking over a online message 

Yes, it was a joke. 

If you had actually posted pictures when it opened up, people would be able to

A. Confirm what type of nem you have 

B. Tell you if the color change was normal for that type of nem

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
45 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Yes, it was a joke. 

If you had actually posted pictures when it opened up, people would be able to

A. Confirm what type of nem you have 

B. Tell you if the color change was normal for that type of nem

I posted a first picture of it, but I will post a picture of it later when I get home

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just hate posting pictures because my tank doesn’t look even close to as good looking as everyone else’s. Until I clean up this algae and rest of the cyano, I probably won’t post a ton of pictures. I’m ordering a clean up crew, comes with quite a lot of inverts to help clean up stuff. Until this comes in, I probably won’t do a bunch of pictures. I don’t even know why I still have cyano problems now, I completely changed my water with distilled water and changed how long my lights are on, and I don’t even have that many fish left in the tank. 

Only 2 clowns, one fire fish, and 2 gobies

18 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just hate posting pictures because my tank doesn’t look even close to as good looking as everyone else’s. Until I clean up this algae and rest of the cyano, I probably won’t post a ton of pictures. I’m ordering a clean up crew, comes with quite a lot of inverts to help clean up stuff. Until this comes in, I probably won’t do a bunch of pictures. I don’t even know why I still have cyano problems now, I completely changed my water with distilled water and changed how long my lights are on, and I don’t even have that many fish left in the tank. 

Look dude,this is why having a record of the tank from the start is important, documenting issues. You also have a tendancy to put stuff in the tank impulsively so that doesnt help either. You need to manually remove the cyano(thought you had said it was under control in an earlier post🤔

Big thing here is accountability of your actions in the tank,pretty sure we just went over all this a bit ago and its kinda back to same thing. You really really should listen to people on here,cause ultimately the animals are the ones paying for it. Also deflections of it was someone else who bought something for your tank,or it was a once in a lifetime deal couldnt pass up just show maybe youre not ready for a tank like this. It always seems to be someone elses fault something went wrong in your tank. But only your hands are in it,so.

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, pgrVII said:

Look dude,this is why having a record of the tank from the start is important, documenting issues. You also have a tendancy to put stuff in the tank impulsively so that doesnt help either. You need to manually remove the cyano(thought you had said it was under control in an earlier post🤔

Big thing here is accountability of your actions in the tank,pretty sure we just went over all this a bit ago and its kinda back to same thing. You really really should listen to people on here,cause ultimately the animals are the ones paying for it. Also deflections of it was someone else who bought something for your tank,or it was a once in a lifetime deal couldnt pass up just show maybe youre not ready for a tank like this. It always seems to be someone elses fault something went wrong in your tank. But only your hands are in it,so.

It was under control, but within the last few days it has bloomed really bad. Think it was from my long tentacles tentacles that got cut up. He’s fine now.

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It was under control, but within the last few days it has bloomed really bad. Think it was from my long tentacles tentacles that got cut up. He’s fine now.

No its not,I had a good sized bubble tip go through my mp10 while i was at work and it was like that allllll day. Not any cyano showed up. And it was minced. Again dude you need to listen to others on here. You can try to justify or deduce your tank issues with one occurence but an LTA losing a few tentacles isnt causing issues. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I tried to remove as much of it as possible, but it always comes back. I try to listen to everyone’s comments, but a lot of the time they aren’t helping. I haven’t added anything to the tank except for corals and inverts. Those wouldn’t contribute to cyano?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, pgrVII said:

No its not,I had a good sized bubble tip go through my mp10 while i was at work and it was like that allllll day. Not any cyano showed up. And it was minced. Again dude you need to listen to others on here. You can try to justify or deduce your tank issues with one occurence but an LTA losing a few tentacles isnt causing issues. 

Then what is? I’m really at a loss?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I don’t have too many fish, and I have plenty of flow to keep everything suspended. I barely have any dead zones? I don’t feed very much, once every other day like everyone said. I’ve completely changed my water so there’s new water in it. 

My lights are on for only 9 hours a day

I just don’t know what else I can do?

Snow_Phoenix
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I tried to remove as much of it as possible, but it always comes back. I try to listen to everyone’s comments, but a lot of the time they aren’t helping. I haven’t added anything to the tank except for corals and inverts. Those wouldn’t contribute to cyano?

Cyano requires manual clean-up, such as sucking up the cyano using a baster, increasing flow in the tank and reducing the photoperiod. Cyano thrives on nutrients - you need to identify what is the source of cyano before you can figure out the best way to tackle it.

And I disagree on the 'a lot of time they aren't helping'. People are helping and commenting. Your threads are scattered and not confined only to your journal, so it can be hard to keep up with all of them. But I've observed some of your threads and there's always at least one person trying to offer you advice or being encouraging. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

Cyano requires manual clean-up, such as sucking up the cyano using a baster, increasing flow in the tank and reducing the photoperiod. Cyano thrives on nutrients - you need to identify what is the source of cyano before you can figure out the best way to tackle it.

And I disagree on the 'a lot of time they aren't helping'. People are helping and commenting. Your threads are scattered and not confined only to your journal, so it can be hard to keep up with all of them. But I've observed some of your threads and there's always at least one person trying to offer you advice or being encouraging. 

I haven’t posted anything except in my journal for a good while. I’ve been using a baster, but I guess I’ll keep using that. I have no idea what could be causing the nutrients. I’m getting a bigger clean up crew, so if it’s detris then they will put a stop to that. Everything people have been saying, I have been trying my best to do

5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Cyano needs to be removed heavily and daily at times for it to be taken care of,one siphon of it wont do,it needs multiple removals most times and reduction of feedings to the tank.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, pgrVII said:

Cyano needs to be removed heavily and daily at times for it to be taken care of,one siphon of it wont do,it needs multiple removals most times and reduction of feedings to the tank.

I have not been doing it daily, so I’ll begin to do that. And I have reduced feeding. Once every other day

Usually I’ll do a mixture of flakes and mysis

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have not been doing it daily, so I’ll begin to do that. And I have reduced feeding. Once every other day

Yea if you see it in your tank then it needs out. 

Snow_Phoenix

Have you tested the DI you use before mixing it for saltwater, for traces of NO3 and PO4? Have you tested your saltwater after mixing as well? And did you test your water in your tank? 

The main issue here is husbandry - your nutrients are coming from somewhere (and no, some chopped LTA tentacles won't cause a continuous outbreak). Btw, nems poop a lot too. Depending on the size of the nem you have, it can present a heavy bioload for your tank. I think your tank can't export nutrients very well right now - I'm not sure how young/old it is, but the system is having trouble accommodating your current livestock as well. 

We all do impulse purchases - I get that. Sometimes, I myself am guilty of bringing home things that catch my eye at the store, and I can be a total sap for abandoned or rejected animals. But you have to be sensible and impose a limit as well - basically, have a small bit of self-control. That nem wouldn't have been the last nem you saw on a good deal. Since you're having many issues with your tank and nems in particular, you should have just passed up the offer to buy the nem, even though the deal was cheap. 

(You don't have those protectors on your wavemakers yet, either, do you?) 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
53 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

You have to post the good with the bad. I had a crazy gha outbreak. I posted a ton of pics still. I also made some youtube videos. The only way to keep track of how things are doing is with videos and pics. If I hadn't done that, I wouldn't know how well I ended up doing. Plus its really nice people can see and comment on something that you may have missed. Everyone really does want you to succeed, but we have to know what we are dealing with to help you out. I don't think anyone wants to be mean to you or have you quit, it's quite the opposite. I like that feeling knowing (at least in my tank) that I'm doing something right as the algae has died back and I can visually see a change.

• Like 1