Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
38 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

An old DSLR camera for me, in-camera white balance does a good job.  

Adobe Lightroom app for iOS has a pretty good white balance function and a few other adjustments included with the free version.  

44 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Some people use apps on their phone or computer. Some use gel filters to achieve the proper color. 

Thank you, I’ll check that out😁

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Does my stunner chalice look normal? I was just looking at him and I thought that he looked different? Does he look like he’s losing color? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Does my stunner chalice look normal? I was just looking at him and I thought that he looked different? Does he look like he’s losing color? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think it looks ok. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
48 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I think it looks ok. 

It just looked a little different from when I first got it, I’ll keep an eye on it

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It just looked a little different from when I first got it, I’ll keep an eye on it

Sometimes the edges will look lighter when they are growing.  

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
45 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Sometimes the edges will look lighter when they are growing.  

Oh ok thank you

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang
7 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Can someone tell me what they use to get there pictures to look so great? I’ve just been using my phone and iPad, and they don’t look amazing.

I use the aquarium cam app for most of my photos... It's $3 or $4... Money well spent, in my opinion for most pictures under blue lights. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So my order from saltcritters just came in. I ordered a dragon soul favia and 3 mystery corals. This is what I got. If anyone wants to chime in and tell me what I got, that would be greatly appreciated. Pretty sure 2 acans, and I have no idea what the other thing is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have a confession to make. I know that my one anemone lost a few tentacles last night, but I made an impulse buy. Please don’t be mad, because I got an amazing deal. Literally once in a lifetime. I got a small neon red carpet anemone for 20 bucks. I could not just sit by and let somebody else grab it. It’s beautiful. So if anyone is mad go ahead and say so.

I saw online they are around 500 bucks

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I will post a picture later tonight when he’s all open

I’m going to upgrade my tank to a bigger one within the year, so I will move him to that when he gets bigger

mitten_reef
31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I will post a picture later tonight when he’s all open

I’m going to upgrade my tank to a bigger one within the year, so I will move him to that when he gets bigger

32 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have a confession to make. I know that my one anemone lost a few tentacles last night, but I made an impulse buy. Please don’t be mad, because I got an amazing deal. Literally once in a lifetime. I got a small neon red carpet anemone for 20 bucks. I could not just sit by and let somebody else grab it. It’s beautiful. So if anyone is mad go ahead and say so.

I saw online they are around 500 bucks

You do realize that mini carpet and true carpet are NOT the same, right?  A mini carpet will not grow much beyond 3-4” diameter. 

But i guess you didn’t say u got a mini, you said u got a small one. So hopefully, your dream comes true and that thing lives long enough to turn into a true red Gigantea. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

You do realize that mini carpet and true carpet are NOT the same, right?  A mini carpet will not grow much beyond 3-4” diameter. 

But i guess you didn’t say u got a mini, you said u got a small one. So hopefully, your dream comes true and that thing lives long enough to turn into a true red Gigantea. 

That’s what I’m hoping. I’m upgrading to a 55 gallon within the year and will move him into it. I do know the difference 

mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That’s what I’m hoping. I’m upgrading to a 55 gallon within the year and will move him into it. I do know the difference 

Look on livestock classified forum, someone just posted a picture of a bunch of mini red carpet. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

Does yours look like this? (This is my red mini btw)

IMG_20190204_194630_284.thumb.jpg.b2d4c12461df33e8cef45eecd8f94260.jpg

It seems odd that a red carpet would be priced very cheaply. I checked online and it is very expensive, as you've said. 

Do you have a pic of your nem?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Does yours look like this? (This is my red mini btw)

IMG_20190204_194630_284.thumb.jpg.b2d4c12461df33e8cef45eecd8f94260.jpg

It seems odd that a red carpet would be priced very cheaply. I checked online and it is very expensive, as you've said. 

Do you have a pic of your nem?

I will get you pics in a few minutes. I found the poor guy at pet smart. 

They just got him in and they priced him as a mini maxi carpet nem

It somewhat resembles that, but a little different also

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Resembles this guy, but the colors on him don’t pop as much. Hoping once my lighting has a chance to affect him, he will turn deeper colors. He was under the lighting at pet smart which isn’t that bright.

BF56B4FB-C59D-419D-B77C-ACBB77B402E4.png

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

That's really cool, but did you by chance research that nem?? I just did a quick search and it's not a good nem for a beginner. In fact even advanced aquarist have trouble with them. If this is what you have, you may wanna read this...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_3/capranem.html

This definitely isn't something that should be in a 29 gallon with other corals.. I hope I'm wrong with what I think it is though. I say good luck if it is though.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I picked him up for 20 bucks, very good deal. I’m upgrading to a 55 here soon, so I’ll move him to that if it is what you think it is. He seems to be doing great right now. He’s open and his colors are beautiful and bright.

7 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's really cool, but did you by chance research that nem?? I just did a quick search and it's not a good nem for a beginner. In fact even advanced aquarist have trouble with them. If this is what you have, you may wanna read this...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_3/capranem.html

This definitely isn't something that should be in a 29 gallon with other corals.. I hope I'm wrong with what I think it is though. I say good luck if it is though.

I’ve had the tank running for almost 2 years, so the tank is matured

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
43 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I picked him up for 20 bucks, very good deal. I’m upgrading to a 55 here soon, so I’ll move him to that if it is what you think it is. He seems to be doing great right now. He’s open and his colors are beautiful and bright.

Ok well I wish you the best.

Good luck with that guy.  Looks awesome.  Can’t wait to see it out and full.   I’ve never had good luck with Anemones.   Of course it’s been almost 20 years since I’ve tried to keep one.   I’m just hoping to keep a BTA again in one of my small tanks.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress with it.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Idk man, 2 years or not I do not think you have a stable tank

• Like 1