Coral Vue Hydros

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, so I have a question about coral feeding? I’ve tried to do some research on this, and I can’t find it. I don’t have any coral food or reef roads right now, so I was just wondering if I could try to target feed when I unthaw the frozen mysis blocks? I tried it once, and my chalice grabbed onto one and held it for a while. But could my discoma and pocillopora get anything from this?

That will work for coral with larger mouths. Try stirring the sand just a bit...... that’s how I feed my corals. 

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Maybe a discoma could eat it but Mysis is too big for pocillopora to eat. Get some coral micro-plankton and feed both of them, it's pretty cheap.  

Check out liveaquaria they've got good insight for both those corals.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That will work for coral with larger mouths. Try stirring the sand just a bit...... that’s how I feed my corals. 

I’m going to try that when I get home😁👍

7 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Maybe a discoma could eat it but Mysis is too big for pocillopora to eat. Get some coral micro-plankton and feed both of them, it's pretty cheap.  

Check out liveaquaria they've got good insight for both those corals.

I’ll go ahead and check that out

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just got home, and I’m having a little bit of trouble with my viparspectre light. I set the timer to be on channel 1 one right now, and everything is blue instead of the full spectrum? Anyone know anything about this? How do I fix this issue?

image.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This is what the tank looks like right now, working on the algae issue. The lighting also makes my phones camera act funny, sorry. As of 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also have a pocillopora frag, but it’s not looking super pretty bc I had to move it.

I also have a bunch of different kinds of hermits, but I don’t feel like taking a picture of everyone. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The long tentacle nem is rather big. When fully open it is about 7 inches across its head. 

He is a very pretty blue when the actinic are on

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I should probably give you a name for everything 

There’s a gold nugget maroon clown and my Occelaris clown pair

Fire fish 

orange spotted goby

yellow watchman goby

blue discosoma

hollywood stunner chalice

pocillopara frag

big long tentacle nem

various hermits, ranging from blue legged hermits, red legged Mexican hermits, zebra striped, and one electric blue somewhere in there also

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This is what the tank looks like right now, working on the algae issue. The lighting also makes my phones camera act funny, sorry. As of 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Things are coming along. You gotta clean that glass though! 😄

how have the fish been doing?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The fish are doing great. Every fish in the tank has been in the tank for more than a year

Except for the gold nugget maroon clown, I got him maybe 6 months ago

• Like 1
mitten_reef

I know that you said the two clowns had been in there together for about 6 months. But keep an eye on the maroon clown, they have a reputation of being a mean, territorial fish, especially with having that occy clown in there with it.  Clowns will go through aggressive display for dominance during their sex change - level of aggression varies. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, micoastreefing said:

I know that you said the two clowns had been in there together for about 6 months. But keep an eye on the maroon clown, they have a reputation of being a mean, territorial fish, especially with having that occy clown in there with it.  Clowns will go through aggressive display for dominance during their sex change - level of aggression varies. 

I’ll keep an eye on the little guy, for now he is scared of the occelaris clown

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

One thing that I’m a little worried about is that when my lights are off, my nem deflates but doesn’t detach. It just worries me that he may possibly get sucked into the wavemaker above him.

Is this normal behavior?

Should I be worried?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

One thing that I’m a little worried about is that when my lights are off, my nem deflates but doesn’t detach. It just worries me that he may possibly get sucked into the wavemaker above him.

Is this normal behavior?

Should I be worried?

that's normal.  A lot of things in the tank will close at night time. 🙂

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
35 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Should I be worried that he may detach and go into a wavemaker?

With nems it's always possible, but like WV said, everything closes at night. My rock flower nems usually pull in when lights are out. Nems have very strange behavior so I wouldn't worry about it. Mine do all kinds of crazy shit lol.

Def clean the glass though, you wanna enjoy the tank and all the critters in it. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
49 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

With nems it's always possible, but like WV said, everything closes at night. My rock flower nems usually pull in when lights are out. Nems have very strange behavior so I wouldn't worry about it. Mine do all kinds of crazy shit lol.

Def clean the glass though, you wanna enjoy the tank and all the critters in it. 

Yea, I’m working on the glass

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I need to get a new wavemaker, anyone have any suggestions for my tank? 29 gallons? Nothing super expensive, but would like to be able to control it?

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
9 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I need to get a new wavemaker, anyone have any suggestions for my tank? 29 gallons? Nothing super expensive, but would like to be able to control it?

I use this on my 20 gallon. I love it

https://www.marinedepot.com/Aqamai_KPS_Wifi_Controllable_Wavemaker_Pump_Internal_Wavemakers_for_Aquariums-Aqamai-6P01181-FIWMIW-vi.html

JulieReefer
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I got this little guy, comes with some nice pulse settings for variable flow. Got it on my 29 gal biocube

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auqa-gadget-desktop-wavelink-aio-powerhead-165-1500-gph-innovative-marine.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw1KLkBRBZEiwARzyE797IdnpaGFOw1soBXRxxgnzK1jFLlyrmZUTWYFB_E1uc2hwi-vd2IBoCA44QAvD_BwE

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 hours ago, JulieReefer said:

7 hours ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Hydor Koralia 425 is on sale for like 28.00 on amazon right now. 

Thank you, both of those look great. I have a lot to consider now

• Like 3