ReefCleaners.org

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I don’t let that fluctuate. I don’t let ph, ammonia, or nitrite fluctuate either. I keep them as stable as possible as to not harm anything in the tank. But I am slowly trying to raise my nitrate to about 4.0. I was told that was best, not 0

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I would include everything from now on, so we can see your reasoning and understand what you're thinking without physically being there with you to see your tank and your equipment and whatnot. Only you can tell us the complete picture of what's going on, so you need to verbalize it ALL. Learn to spit out the information in an organized manner so we can see what you're trying to do, why, what you've already done, what you hope to achieve, and give you advice on how you might actually get where you want to go. Giving us only 1% of the story doesn't help it just keeps everyone guessing.

Could you give me an example? Im a little confused. 

2 minutes ago, patback said:

I haven't seen a picture of this anemone, but you do know some carpet-like anemones get over half the length of a 75 gallon, right?  You really need to look up how to distinguish different species if you are questioning what you have. 

I will get you pictures tomorrow. 

ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I don’t let that fluctuate. I don’t let ph, ammonia, or nitrite fluctuate either. I keep them as stable as possible as to not harm anything in the tank. But I am slowly trying to raise my nitrate to about 4.0. I was told that was best, not 0

Until you fix the cyano, I would try to keep the nitrates at 0. Don't feed the cyano. Others have beat back their cyano problems by cutting the lights completely for long periods of time, to stop feeding the cyano. Look up on the forum how others have defeated their cyano problems and see how they've won the battle. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes, I know. When he gets too big, I’ll either get rid of him or if I really like him and don’t want to get rid of him, I’ll just upgrade. Was thinking about upgrading to a 75.

So your plan is too move a massive anemone into a freshly made tank when it gets too big? Then move to college in a year  you said,right?Sweet. Honestly dude,I wanna help you,I was even gonna send ya some extra equipment I had laying around to help you out,cause the hobby can be expensive and getting a tank right while you see others looking bomb makes it even harder to wait and be patient so I get that. But you really dont seem to wanna help yourself here at all,and I know you will say "why,I'm doing what you all tell me?" Etc etc but really youre not,youre still gonna be adding to the tank and hobbling it along dude. Look at any of the really really good tanks here,look into how they stock,prepare and maintain for addtions,issues and changes. Youre not doing any of that really and we can all tell by the issues and few pics of the tank man. You need to get honest with you bro,fewer people are going to be willing to help you if you dont. 

• Like 4
ECLS Reefer
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Could you give me an example? Im a little confused. 

I will get you pictures tomorrow. 

So when you start a tank journal, you've seen that people do an information dump at the beginning, including all the tank information and equipment. All the filtration media and chemicals. The lights and even light cycles. The sand, rock, and live stock. How often you do water changes. Where do you get the water from? If you make it, how do you mix it and with what? 

As your tank grows, you know you're supposed to put updates about what has happened to the fish and corals and EXACTLY what you've done to remedy it. All steps taken or not taken. Add pictures even if they're ugly so people can point out ways you may be able to fix things. 

But this information should be in depth enough, every single time, that people who live hundreds of miles away from you, haven't ever met you in person or seen your tank, can still picture it in their head without too much trouble, to help find ways to advise you. Even if you copy and paste a lot of it, it's nice to have it right there under our nose to review so we know exactly where we are coming from and what's going on.

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
23 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’ll get you a picture when I get home. I’m not in town tonight, I just left this morning to visit family. I’ll be back tomorrow afternoon.

I’ll get you pictures of everything then

So when you're away, who watches your tank for you? I gotta be honest Ethan, your impulsivity with your tank is concerning, because you don't sound like the most responsible pet owner in the world. Your reasoning over the size of this mystery nem is about like people who get a dog because it's cute, then decide oh well, if it gets too big I'll just take it to the pound. You can't do that with these expensive, RARE animals. Being sloppy with a SW tank and the corals, inverts and fish in them is what gives SW hobbyists bad names, especially when we are fighting a losing battle on even being able to obtain these creatures from their native habitats. If you can't fix this problem, and you're leaving them shortly to go to college, perhaps you should find the tank an owner with proven tanks that can care for them. Who're you expecting to care for your tank when you leave for college? 

I know I've left my infant tank ONCE and it scared the bejesus out of me the whole time I was gone. I didn't want to leave it because I personally wouldn't be there to lay eyes on what was going on. And I searched high and low for someone trustworthy to come feed the tank and test the parameters for one day. I am so paranoid I even have a wifi camera right next to the tank to watch it remotely when I'm not home. My mentality is--this tank is now my baby and it's my responsibility to keep everything in there alive, to the very best of my ability. 

Your words, maybe not your actual intentions, make it seem like you have a rather flippant attitude about your tank. And even more so if you plan to be a marine biologist. NO good marine biologist would add stuff to a sick tank without fixing the tank first. Not one. So if that is your goal in life, you need to step up and grasp how serious it is to be a good animal husband and take a more hardline, responsible approach here.

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So when you're away, who watches your tank for you? I gotta be honest Ethan, your impulsivity with your tank is concerning, because you don't sound like the most responsible pet owner in the world. Your reasoning over the size of this mystery nem is about like people who get a dog because it's cute, then decide oh well, if it gets too big I'll just take it to the pound. You can't do that with these expensive, RARE animals. Being sloppy with a SW tank and the corals, inverts and fish in them is what gives SW hobbyists bad names, especially when we are fighting a losing battle on even being able to obtain these creatures from their native habitats. If you can't fix this problem, and you're leaving them shortly to go to college, perhaps you should find the tank an owner with proven tanks that can care for them. Who're you expecting to care for your tank when you leave for college? 

I know I've left my infant tank ONCE and it scared the bejesus out of me the whole time I was gone. I didn't want to leave it because I personally wouldn't be there to lay eyes on what was going on. And I searched high and low for someone trustworthy to come feed the tank and test the parameters for one day. I am so paranoid I even have a wifi camera right next to the tank to watch it remotely when I'm not home. My mentality is--this tank is now my baby and it's my responsibility to keep everything in there alive, to the very best of my ability. 

Your words, maybe not your actual intentions, make it seem like you have a rather flippant attitude about your tank. And even more so if you plan to be a marine biologist. NO good marine biologist would add stuff to a sick tank without fixing the tank first. Not one. So if that is your goal in life, you need to step up and grasp how serious it is to be a good animal husband and take a more hardline, responsible approach here.

I have my girlfriend check in on my tank for me, she feeds everything and tells me if something is off. I’m planning to take the tank with me, or at least be able to get another tank. I’m not gonna be living in a dorm, I have a friend who I was going to stay with. He doesn’t care if I have a tank, he likes them, says they are relaxing. He’s also studying to be a marine biologist. My parents also take care of my tank quite a bit, I also have a brother who is 2 years younger than me, and he will take care of it also. I have backup plans. Trust me, I’m scared too. I stay up at night when I’m gone and just think about my tank and pray that it will be ok. That’s actually an awesome idea, I would love to get a WiFi camera. 

1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Until you fix the cyano, I would try to keep the nitrates at 0. Don't feed the cyano. Others have beat back their cyano problems by cutting the lights completely for long periods of time, to stop feeding the cyano. Look up on the forum how others have defeated their cyano problems and see how they've won the battle. 

I have turned off the lights for periods of time, about 3 days straight. My anemones really hate me after that.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, pgrVII said:

So your plan is too move a massive anemone into a freshly made tank when it gets too big? Then move to college in a year  you said,right?Sweet. Honestly dude,I wanna help you,I was even gonna send ya some extra equipment I had laying around to help you out,cause the hobby can be expensive and getting a tank right while you see others looking bomb makes it even harder to wait and be patient so I get that. But you really dont seem to wanna help yourself here at all,and I know you will say "why,I'm doing what you all tell me?" Etc etc but really youre not,youre still gonna be adding to the tank and hobbling it along dude. Look at any of the really really good tanks here,look into how they stock,prepare and maintain for addtions,issues and changes. Youre not doing any of that really and we can all tell by the issues and few pics of the tank man. You need to get honest with you bro,fewer people are going to be willing to help you if you dont. 

Well, to tell you the truth, I was hoping that I would be able to find a mature tank for sale and I could just put him in there. But I know thats probably a long shot. I really am pretty much just lying to myself, I’m sorry. I’ll just get rid of him when the time comes. Check around town, and if I can’t find anything around here, I’ll post it on nano reef.

ECLS Reefer
17 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

But if you think that everything would be ok, then I can try it again

You need to do a search on here for cyano and see what others have done to fix it, successfully, and try to do the same for yours. Don't just randomly try something for a while and then quit. Look up what others have done to beat it back and do the same. If you have to sell that nem now to save him from the cyano in order to heal your tank, you may have to. Others have had to send their stock elsewhere or move them to a QT tank to cure the display tank. But you need to read and research this stuff, not just take snippets and try them for a short while.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
59 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You need to do a search on here for cyano and see what others have done to fix it, successfully, and try to do the same for yours. Don't just randomly try something for a while and then quit. Look up what others have done to beat it back and do the same. If you have to sell that nem now to save him from the cyano in order to heal your tank, you may have to. Others have had to send their stock elsewhere or move them to a QT tank to cure the display tank. But you need to read and research this stuff, not just take snippets and try them for a short while.

Ok, I will 

• Like 1

"I'll post a picture when I get home"

The Ethan signature quote of disappointment 😞

Bruh you never post pics and you jump from topic to topic. 

Just C H I L L for a second... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

You have make small changes. Too much at one time is detrimental to tank health. I battled GHA for what seems like an eternity because I was making small changes to see if it worked. You have to be slow and methodical with the changes. These animals are fairly hardy, but if make too many changes at once you run the risk of killing them. Plus if you make many changes at once you'll never know what change actually helped.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

"I'll post a picture when I get home"

The Ethan signature quote of disappointment 😞

Bruh you never post pics and you jump from topic to topic. 

Just C H I L L for a second... 

I seriously promise that I will post pictures when I get home. I promise 

2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

You have make small changes. Too much at one time is detrimental to tank health. I battled GHA for what seems like an eternity because I was making small changes to see if it worked. You have to be slow and methodical with the changes. These animals are fairly hardy, but if make too many changes at once you run the risk of killing them. Plus if you make many changes at once you'll never know what change actually helped.

Yea, that’s another thing that I’m afraid of. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m very confused now, Idk what this is??? My entire time on nano reef, and I have never seen something like this? It’s about the same color as the long tentacle next to it, but it’s attached to the glass? The other picture is what it looks like from the glass. It almost looks like some kinda egg?

image.jpg

image.jpg

It’s not moving?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here are my parameters. My nitrite for some reason is white? It’s like below zero? My ph is about 8.2. My ammonia is zero. Nitrate is 0 maybe a little bit above. 

image.jpg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I like the look of the nem, no idea on ID since all I’ve ever owned BTAs. 

Yea I like him too, really colorful. Pretty sure it’s a type of carpet

ECLS Reefer
4 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Here are my parameters. My nitrite for some reason is white? It’s like below zero? My ph is about 8.2. My ammonia is zero. Nitrate is 0 maybe a little bit above. 

image.jpg

I can't explain your weird nitrites result. Half the time I about go blind trying to interpret the results. Your parameters look good though, keep it up.

ECLS Reefer
5 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This is the salinity

image.jpg

I had a hydrometer for a while, but I got a refractometer instead. The hydrometers aren't as accurate. I'd move to getting a refractometer when you can spare the 15 or so bucks.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I can't explain your weird nitrites result. Half the time I about go blind trying to interpret the results. Your parameters look good though, keep it up.

Thank you, probably the first good thing that I have heard in a while😁

11 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I had a hydrometer for a while, but I got a refractometer instead. The hydrometers aren't as accurate. I'd move to getting a refractometer when you can spare the 15 or so bucks.

After I get everything else you guys said, then I’ll invest in one of those

• Like 2