Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

It's good things are recovering but your tank still doesn't look like its ready for acro's long term. If you want to try one, try green slimer. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

It's good things are recovering but your tank still doesn't look like its ready for acro's long term. If you want to try one, try green slimer. 

I’ll probably hold off on acro like you said. Maybe in a few months I may try one, wait and see how stable my tank can stay first. I’ll try some easier sps maybe

I always wanted to get a torch really bad, but I’m so afraid that it may turn out like my hammer

NoOneLikesADryTang

If you’re insistent on trying an SPS, I’d suggest a purple stylo. They are super hardy - and a fast grower. I would definitely give that a try before spending much money on any other SPS, or and more importantly, killing livestock that you and your tank are not ready for. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
57 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If you’re insistent on trying an SPS, I’d suggest a purple stylo. They are super hardy - and a fast grower. I would definitely give that a try before spending much money on any other SPS, or and more importantly, killing livestock that you and your tank are not ready for. 

I’m not really insistent about it, I haven’t really been saying that I will. I was just talking about how in the future I will probably get an acro, but I was just wondering about the easier sps corals

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Try something less expensive like a frogspawn for euphyllia first.

I may try a frogspawn. Where can I get a nice single head of frogspawn?

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not really insistent about it, I haven’t really been saying that I will. I was just talking about how in the future I will probably get an acro, but I was just wondering about the easier sps corals

I may try a frogspawn. Where can I get a nice single head of frogspawn?

You LFS or local forums? It only like 10 dollars a head here. Saves you shipping if you get it local. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

You LFS or local forums? It only like 10 dollars a head here. Saves you shipping if you get it local. 

I live in a small town, I don’t have any local forums and my lfs barely gets stuff in and if they do get corals in, they are extremely overpriced. 

52 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I live in a small town, I don’t have any local forums and my lfs barely gets stuff in and if they do get corals in, they are extremely overpriced. 

Oh that is a bummer. Aquasd has hammers from 30-40 dollars. I would keep an eye out as they do sales/coupon codes every day, sometimes % off everything. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m probably gonna get a rodi unit for my birthday, but which one should I ask for? I mainly buy off eBay and this is what I’m looking at right now. One of these two 

2AA7EF53-229E-4BA4-8FCB-29BF86142649.png

82D464A3-1509-4B5F-8ADA-E56151296B7A.png

• Like 1

Top one uses non standard filters which will be more costly to replace and you will end up spending more over time then just getting a standard unit. 

Bottom one has the DI unit small and sideways which will reduce its efficiency. 

How about one from BRS or Marine Depot? They have good support for their customers. You won't get that with ebay.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/marine-depot-kleanwater-4-stage-economy-ro-di-system-100-gpd

You can save $10 on marine depot if I refer you, assuming you have never used them before. - Looks like they also give you 15% off for life on filters. Idk what BRS has. 

• Like 2

I you are bent on ebay I would get the 2nd one and once the DI exhausts, remove that little filter at the top entirely. Then us sediment + carbon + DI (replacing the GAC with DI). 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

A 149 is a little more than what I was wanting to spend, but if you refer me and I get the discounts that they already give me, it should be hopefully around a 100 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m having a huge problem!!! I just came home from camping and my tank lost like half of its water!! I don’t know if it was a leak, but I think that it may have something to do with my filter. I think that I may have put too much filter floss in it before I left and I think it made it overflow. So I need to go buy more salt and a bunch of gallons of distilled water to fill it back up. This scared the crap out of me. Everything seems fine

• Sad 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

All my corals are still open and looking good. The salinity in the water is perfect, right where I want it to be. Fish are all fine, and nems too

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I looked everywhere, it’s hard for me to get a good look at behind my tank. I didn’t see any. I think that my filter overflowed. There was salt creep on the back of my filter, but that was all

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Just a tip that I have come across...I've heard of people taking out the floss while they are away to prevent a blockage. Just food for thought next time.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Just a tip that I have come across...I've heard of people taking out the floss while they are away to prevent a blockage. Just food for thought next time.

I never even knew that this could happen, so now I know, I will do that. Thank you. 

• Like 2

Same thing happened to me but thankfully it was my 2.5 gallon tank lol. Woke up one morning with tank missing a lot of water, the small HOB filter overflowed because of the floss 😉

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
13 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I never even knew that this could happen, so now I know, I will do that. Thank you. 

I haven't really gone away since I've had my tank up, but I remember a member on here saying that's what they do, pull the floss before you leave so it doesn't clog. That's one piece of advice that has stuck with me. Overflowing fish tank is no :lol:

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
37 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I haven't really gone away since I've had my tank up, but I remember a member on here saying that's what they do, pull the floss before you leave so it doesn't clog. That's one piece of advice that has stuck with me. Overflowing fish tank is no :lol:

Well thank you. Just wish me luck that everything goes well with adding all the water back. 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well thank you. Just wish me luck that everything goes well with adding all the water back. 

Just make sure the salinity and temp is good.

• Like 1

Somehow my cheap $2.50 tiny filter had thought of this issue and if the floss clogs it has a 2nd spillover by the intake a bit higher so the water flows back into the tank instead of overflowing. It has saved me so many times 😛

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Somehow my cheap $2.50 tiny filter had thought of this issue and if the floss clogs it has a 2nd spillover by the intake a bit higher so the water flows back into the tank instead of overflowing. It has saved me so many times 😛

Exactly the same with my cheap POS, I have to keep taking out floss until I dont have water coming out of the intake area. 

• Like 1