ReefCleaners.org

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He got him from our local lfs for 15 bucks. I acclimated him and introduced him to the tank. He swam down to the bottom and laid on the bottom for a bit before swimming behind some rocks and disappearing. He was breathing a little heavily, but I’m hoping that he was just getting acclimated to the tank. I haven’t seen him come out at all yet this morning, but I’ll have to keep an eye out for him.

• Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Last night when he was on the bottom of the tank, I got him to eat about 5 pieces of mysis, at least he wanted to eat. 

I’ll try to get a picture when he comes out today

• Like 1

I would take back. You're not ready for a puffer mate. 

They need like 4 different types of frozen food and a lot of food to trim their teeth. $15 bucks is also super cheap for a valentini so that's "fishy" no pun intended. 

Idk man, a puffer is advanced level and you are still struggling to keep simple corals at peace. You also already have your maroon and your other fish too so now your bioload is forever more increasing with already higher nitrate levels. 

Not a good decision if it was your dad or not I would return. You ready to feed clams, hermits, snails, krill, silver sides, at least twice a week? 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 minutes ago, OverCookedRock said:

I would take back. You're not ready for a puffer mate. 

They need like 4 different types of frozen food and a lot of food to trim their teeth. $15 bucks is also super cheap for a valentini so that's "fishy" no pun intended. 

Idk man, a puffer is advanced level and you are still struggling to keep simple corals at peace. You also already have your maroon and your other fish too so now your bioload is forever more increasing with already higher nitrate levels. 

Not a good decision if it was your dad or not I would return. You ready to feed clams, hermits, snails, krill, silver sides, at least twice a week? 

I had a brackish water puffer for 2 and a half years, so I know what it takes to take care of them. I started buying these small snails for him that could reproduce really fast, so he always had a good supply. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

This ones beak seems to be quite long, so I’m gonna have to do something for it. Where can I buy small saltwater snails? 

It’s a 29 gallon tank, I don’t think that 2 clowns and two gobies are making all that much of a bio load

22 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

This ones beak seems to be quite long, so I’m gonna have to do something for it. Where can I buy small saltwater snails? 

It’s a 29 gallon tank, I don’t think that 2 clowns and two gobies are making all that much of a bio load

Maybe try and breed trocus snails in the tank? Reefcleaners order?

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So far I have fed him mysis and flakes which he readily ate both

Please go back and read the food I mentioned. flake food is a NO GO. Mysis isn't the most nutritional. Only two years? What happened? He has a long beak which may need manual trimming which is why he was $15 probably. 

I thought we were done with adding stuff? 38 pages later and we might as well be on page 1-2 it seems

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

If you ever looked at other threads you would realize you have a higher bioload compared to most. 

I

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, OverCookedRock said:

Please go back and read the food I mentioned. flake food is a NO GO. Mysis isn't the most nutritional. Only two years? What happened? He has a long beak which may need manual trimming which is why he was $15 probably. 

I thought we were done with adding stuff? 38 pages later and we might as well be on page 1-2 it seems

This is the first new fish that I have added in a long time. And I’ve seen tanks with a much bigger bioload than mine. I’ll just keep buying him snails for now then. I also feed fresh scallops to my fish and nems once a week, so I’m sure he’ll eat some of those.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The one that I had for 2 years was doing great, the only problem was that he was in a small tank and I was just getting introduced to saltwater, so I started with brackish water. He got sick somehow. I think that it had to come from the batch of snails that I bought for him last, bc a week later after eating the snails, he was laying in the bottom and had white splotches on his sides and back

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Maybe try and breed trocus snails in the tank? Reefcleaners order?

That would be a awesome idea. Also, how do you trim a beak of a puffer? I used to just feed him snails and that would trim his beak, how do I do it manually?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so I have a problem. I can’t seem to find the puffer? I looked everywhere? I searched under every rock and looked in every crevice, and I still can’t find him? I looked around the tank to see if he jumped and I can’t find him anywhere out there? Is it possible that one of my nems got ahold of him?

If he is there, he will come out eventually. My leopard can hide in the rock so well that finding him would be a next to impossible task. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If he is there, he will come out eventually. My leopard can hide in the rock so well that finding him would be a next to impossible task. 

Hopefully, bc I still haven’t seen him. I’m just hoping he didn’t get eaten by a nem. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

That would be a awesome idea. Also, how do you trim a beak of a puffer? I used to just feed him snails and that would trim his beak, how do I do it manually?

Honestly? With a great deal of stress to you and the fish. 

Cuticle Cutters

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Honestly? With a great deal of stress to you and the fish. 

Cuticle Cutters

Oh, poor fish. I think that if I find him, I’ll just take him back. I still haven’t seen him yet this morning. 

• Like 1

I had a valentini puffer, sadly it went carpet  surfing 😞 I now have a lid on my tank!!! Awesome fish but specific needs. Growing teeth are a concern and I've heard stories of people still needing to cut some of the puffer's teeth even with shelled food and everything. Mine was very fond of LRS frozen food and NLS pellets lol. And it's a messy fish!! The dead snails would also foul your water very quickly. And it's slow. It was getting skinnier because he had a hard time keeping up with my clowns. The marroon will most likely destroy it at some point. I transfered him in my IM lagoon, was super happy and chill but jumped one night...I bought a carpenter's wrasse after, much better for my reef tank IMO. Fits perfectly with my YWG pair 🙂 I would take him back or even better find someone who has experience with puffers and can take care of him 😉

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I had a valentini puffer, sadly it went carpet  surfing 😞 I now have a lid on my tank!!! Awesome fish but specific needs. Growing teeth are a concern and I've heard stories of people still needing to cut some of the puffer's teeth even with shelled food and everything. Mine was very fond of LRS frozen food and NLS pellets lol. And it's a messy fish!! The dead snails would also foul your water very quickly. And it's slow. It was getting skinnier because he had a hard time keeping up with my clowns. The marroon will most likely destroy it at some point. I transfered him in my IM lagoon, was super happy and chill but jumped one night...I bought a carpenter's wrasse after, much better for my reef tank IMO. Fits perfectly with my YWG pair 🙂 I would take him back or even better find someone who has experience with puffers and can take care of him 😉

I would love to. I honestly am just trying to find a home for him right now. I’m probably gonna take him to my lfs, but he still hasn’t shown himself. I’ve been at work all day, so I’ll see if I can find him when I get home. I checked the carpet and haven’t found him. 

• Like 1

It will be hard to keep any noticeable fish once the maroon is several years old. My percs turned mean as shit around 4-5 years and maroons are worse. All cute and innocent when smaller... then the maroons become the devil drawing blood...  sometimes even killing their mate 👿

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
25 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

It will be hard to keep any noticeable fish once the maroon is several years old. My percs turned mean as shit around 4-5 years and maroons are worse. All cute and innocent when smaller... then the maroons become the devil drawing blood...  sometimes even killing their mate 👿

Who said clownfish were supposed to be funny??😂

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
30 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Dang, he’s like my favorite thing in the tank and he’s the one who usually gets picked on😂. My perc. actually has made bruises on him before and my maroon won’t even fight back😂. Who would’ve guessed that he would turn into a killing machine😂

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, is it normal for a maroon clown to host multiple things? Mines hosting the long tentacle with the perc, as well as the carpet nem, and along with my scoly vietenis. 

I also have not seen the puffer yet. Should I get worried? I have no idea where he could’ve gone? Bc I searched the tank?

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also, is it normal for a maroon clown to host multiple things? Mines hosting the long tentacle with the perc, as well as the carpet nem, and along with my scoly vietenis. 

I also have not seen the puffer yet. Should I get worried? I have no idea where he could’ve gone? Bc I searched the tank?

Clownfish can alternate homes lol. Trust me as far as clownfish goes, a Clarkii could choose a broomstick lol. Not picky at all. As for the puffer, you have a carpet anemone??? Which kind? Carpet anemone + stressed out/weakened fish = expensive and yummy snack for anemone

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

1 minute ago, Melfy77 said:

Clownfish can alternate homes lol. Trust me as far as clownfish goes, a Clarkii could choose a broomstick lol. Not picky at all. As for the puffer, you have a carpet anemone??? Which kind? Carpet anemone + stressed out/weakened fish = expensive and yummy snack for anemone

I’m pretty sure that it’s a rainbow haddoni carpet. I got it from petco a while back and surprisingly, he has been the best anemone that I have ever had. I’ve kept 2 long tentacles, 1 bubble tip, a maxi mini carpet nem, and a waratah nem. He has by far been the best out of all of those. He has never moved once, for the entire 4 or 5 months that I have had him. He’s nice and sticky and eats a lot. Has never once stung me or as far as I know, anything in the tank. My perc used to host him, now my maroon kinda does. He also hasn’t grown like at all since I’ve got him. I was scared at first, but he has been a very good model citizen. I was considering selling him( bc I know that rainbow carpets can go for quite a sum of money), but for now I think I’ll keep him.