Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, OverCookedRock said:

Some zoas are just pissy at first. Give it time, they'll bloom

Ok, so I’m a little concerned and don’t know what could be wrong with my tank. I’m able to keep every kind of soft corals nicely and they all look amazing and I can keep trumpet corals, acans, and trachyphillia, and scolys. But when I try to keep corals with a harder skeleton like a hammer or a monti, they always slowly loose there polyps and skin? Does anyone know why this could be? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just turned the lights in the tank back on after 3 days of them being off, and there is barely any algae at all in the tank. My protein skimmer has been working like a king for the past few days to get rid of the die off. My hammer still doesn’t look good, as well as my monti, but everything else looks great. My leather has turned and made a right angle bc of the lack of light, but I heard this is normal. My crab jerry still doesn’t seem great. I put him in the only thing that I could find that I know for a fact that is reef safe... the lid of of an extra Wavemaker. It’s like a little cage for him for now, I will throw some mysis in there later tonight to see if he’s hungry at all. Still hasn’t moved much. Found him upside down when I got home.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Could I possibly have some kind of pest? Or could this be my conch? I haven’t seen him for a while, so I thought that he might’ve died somehow. But I was just looking at my tank when I saw a patch of sand at the right corner of my tank burst upward like air was being pushed out of it? It happened like 5 times then stopped? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Just some more pictures close to when the lights are gonna get turned off. Hammer still doesn’t look great.

BA13F879-CE20-4D84-AAE8-06C0F7908B10.jpeg

E6726DA2-8066-40D3-8CF3-57FC33F20B56.jpeg

75637590-B8EB-4523-BCDD-729D8831A95C.jpeg

E72D29FA-A657-400F-9245-67121124F9ED.jpeg

DC7D5384-833B-4505-B4C8-C9B5C6142EC3.jpeg

ABBE5B91-968F-4C6E-8E5B-2AB8D2AAEECF.jpeg

D27AFF05-8302-4A4C-B973-947D53AEED17.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, OverCookedRock said:

probably water isn't up to par yet. If you are always having trouble with stonier corals your tank may just not be there yet. 

So what should I do? Just wait? Or can I do something to make the process happen faster?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, the weirdest thing happened last night. I work up this morning and I looked at one of my acans, and he popped right off of his rock? His head or polyp, or whatever you call it literally came off the acans body. I’m at work now, but will try to get a picture later tonight. The thing is that the head still looks alive and well. 

15 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So what should I do? Just wait? Or can I do something to make the process happen faster?

Probably have to wait it out, 

11 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also, the weirdest thing happened last night. I work up this morning and I looked at one of my acans, and he popped right off of his rock? His head or polyp, or whatever you call it literally came off the acans body. I’m at work now, but will try to get a picture later tonight. The thing is that the head still looks alive and well. 

So the Polyps has bailed from the Skeleton? 

Can you test Alk? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Probably have to wait it out, 

So the Polyps has bailed from the Skeleton? 

Can you test Alk? 

Yes, I’ll test alk when I get home. Do you think that could be a major cause of my problems? The polyp just popped right off the skeleton, I’ve never seen anything like it. It seems fine. It has it feeder tentacles extended and it open. It’s just in a container right now bc I don’t know what to do with it. Can it survive like this? Is it possible? Or is it a lost cause?

1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes, I’ll test alk when I get home. Do you think that could be a major cause of my problems? The polyp just popped right off the skeleton, I’ve never seen anything like it. It seems fine. It has it feeder tentacles extended and it open. It’s just in a container right now bc I don’t know what to do with it. Can it survive like this? Is it possible? Or is it a lost cause?

I've read that Alk, Salinity or Temp Swings can cause something called Polyp Bail Out, all seems to be LPS corals that it affects. 

Not saying that's what this is, but fits the description

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
6 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I've read that Alk, Salinity or Temp Swings can cause something called Polyp Bail Out, all seems to be LPS corals that it affects. 

Not saying that's what this is, but fits the description

I actually haven’t tested my alk in a while and I blame myself. I’ve been getting a little lazy about testing anything other than the essentials. I’ll test everything that I have a test kit for tonight. I don’t own a phosphate test kit yet, so I’ll have to buy one next time I stop at my LFS. If I had to dose anything, could I have someone walk me through dosing so I don’t completely destroy my tank. I just need some guidance. 

Bc my hammer as well as my hard corals just seem to be slowly dying. I need to do something about it, so if I have to dose then I will. 

Shouldn't need to dose yet if you are doing water changes.

You need a refractometer and calibration solution. I don't trust your hydrometer.... wouldn't let that plastic janky thing near my tanks.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Shouldn't need to dose yet if you are doing water changes.

You need a refractometer and calibration solution. I don't trust your hydrometer.... wouldn't let that plastic janky thing near my tanks.

My lfs doesn’t sell refractometers, which is really annoying. What is calibration solution? I do a 15% water change each week, should I do more?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve still been using store bought distilled water for a dollar a gallon, I need to make my own water for my tank. 

16 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

My lfs doesn’t sell refractometers, which is really annoying. What is calibration solution? I do a 15% water change each week, should I do more?

Amazon sells them cheap. Less than 20 bucks. 

It's so you can make sure the salinity is correct and check calibration of your refractometer. It's just an eye dropper bottle of 1.026 saline water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQSY9QG/ref=vp_m_pgsubs_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HQSY9QG&pd_rd_w=gxJaY&pf_rd_p=5aba86a5-23ed-4fb8-ba34-3abf8525267a&pf_rd_r=9013f7b3-34ce-4d70-91f1-e563cc7fa402&pd_rd_r=9013f7b3-34ce-4d70-91f1-e563cc7fa402&pd_rd_wg=DOQ7R

I am just saying you need some better testing supplies. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Amazon sells them cheap. Less than 20 bucks. 

It's so you can make sure the salinity is correct and check calibration of your refractometer. It's just an eye dropper bottle of 1.026 saline water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQSY9QG/ref=vp_m_pgsubs_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HQSY9QG&pd_rd_w=gxJaY&pf_rd_p=5aba86a5-23ed-4fb8-ba34-3abf8525267a&pf_rd_r=9013f7b3-34ce-4d70-91f1-e563cc7fa402&pd_rd_r=9013f7b3-34ce-4d70-91f1-e563cc7fa402&pd_rd_wg=DOQ7R

I am just saying you need some better testing supplies. 

Yea, I do. But what am I supposed to do once I text my water for everything and somethings way off or something? Shouldn’t I add something? Bc that’s just testing, not fixing the problem 

You can't fix the problem without accurate testing so you start there. If your salinity swings it's going to swing everything else.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

You can't fix the problem without accurate testing so you start there. 

Ok, I guess I’ll do that. I have accurate test kits for ammonia, nitrite, ph, nitrate, calcium, magnesium, and alk. I have Red Sea test kits.

I just really need that refractometer