Top Shelf Aquatics

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 7/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, Tamberav said:

I would go with something easy that won't completely take over. 

Gracilaria hayi (that little frag I sent you). 

Halimeda

Codium

Red Blade Macroalgae

In the sand: C prolifera and C cupressonides (won't spread as aggressive as other caulerpa or be likley to go asexual, I would still keep them in the sand bed though, these are fast growers and will eat up a lot of nutrients). 

Dragons breath is nice but a bit difficult and moody in some tanks. 

Ok so tamberav, I have found some macros that I really like, but I don’t know much about them. Would any of these be ok?

1C14DD53-883D-445F-9D82-517C59B0A4A7.png

FEC04178-74F0-450D-8D83-62B72DDD3B3E.png

94391BB9-3DCF-491E-9A38-4032B3AEAEAB.png

02C1419E-2A23-4FF1-BA66-3C1E6D839C24.png

A54B1E77-3954-4FA8-BBD1-011CB379BB2F.png

CD4B6204-4389-4F3C-BA59-44D2A6116261.png

Also, I can’t believe how much my trachy has grown since I’ve gotten it. From this. 

FFDCAE56-285A-4BF6-B285-40B519852FEF.png

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Thank you, I have recently been putting a lot of effort and time into the tank, and I’m glad that someone notices. 

Jerry may look evil, but he secretly a softy

Tank looks really good right now, I think your work is paying off! The corals don't look pissed as some of your previous pics.

Jerry... softly ate my fish! I wasn't target feeding him though (I didn't know he was there). So maybe he likes all the attention. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Tank looks really good right now, I think your work is paying off! The corals don't look pissed as some of your previous pics.

Jerry... softly ate my fish! I wasn't target feeding him though (I didn't know he was there). So maybe he likes all the attention. 

Well I don’t see jerry move very much, I think it’s mainly bc he only has 3 legs tho😂. So I have to target feed him. He also never tries to pinch me. He will move his claws around when I get close, but he won’t pinch me. 

Can his legs grow back?

6 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well I don’t see jerry move very much, I think it’s mainly bc he only has 3 legs tho😂. So I have to target feed him. He also never tries to pinch me. He will move his claws around when I get close, but he won’t pinch me. 

Can his legs grow back?

Yes, when he molts he will get them back. Sometimes it takes a few molts. 

Bryothamnion: I would pass on this, hardy but really prone to pest algae growing on it.

Fauchea:  Hardy/slow growing

Dragons Breath: easily eaten by things, very pretty but difficult to keep alive for seemingly no reason at times

Blue Hypnea: can break off and grow all over the tank so some people think its too invasive, easily eating by certain snails and crabs, pods and brittle stars love to live in it since its so dense

Caulerpa Taxifolia: can be invasive, I would suggest growing it in the sand away from rock, fast hardy grower and good for nutrient export, can go asexual, pruning regularly to keep its growth in check will help prevent that

Red Grape: seems to melt in high light, my asterna stars like the taste of this one although they can't kill it completely. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So what about any of those macros?

Not the taxifolia!! It will grow everywhere and go asexual and make a mess lol. I have dragon breath but have a hard time growing them. Maybe my nutrients are too low? Gonna turn of my skimmer for  a few days

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
49 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Bryothamnion: I would pass on this, hardy but really prone to pest algae growing on it.

Fauchea:  Hardy/slow growing

Dragons Breath: easily eaten by things, very pretty but difficult to keep alive for seemingly no reason at times

Blue Hypnea: can break off and grow all over the tank so some people think its too invasive, easily eating by certain snails and crabs, pods and brittle stars love to live in it since its so dense

Caulerpa Taxifolia: can be invasive, I would suggest growing it in the sand away from rock, fast hardy grower and good for nutrient export, can go asexual, pruning regularly to keep its growth in check will help prevent that

Red Grape: seems to melt in high light, my asterna stars like the taste of this one although they can't kill it completely. 

Ok, so out of those, which ones do you think I should get? I’m considering getting more than one?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Yes, when he molts he will get them back. Sometimes it takes a few molts. 

He hasn’t molted yet, but he also hasn’t eaten a ton. My hermit and shrimp can’t stop molting, I seriously catch at least one of them molting once a week.

If you want to try something strickly to bring down your PO4, I would start with C prolifera in the sand bed, keep it away from the rocks or its kind of a pain to remove there.

Caulerpa%20Prolifera.JPG

OR

Cactus caulerpa in the sand bed

Macro_Algae_for_Reef_Tank_Aquarium_Saltw

These two caulerpas are safer than others. I have never had them go sexual or cause problems when I had them.

and Red Titan if you want something red on the rocks since its pretty and practically unkillable as long as nothing eats it and not invasive. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you want to try something strickly to bring down your PO4, I would start with C prolifera in the sand bed, keep it away from the rocks or its kind of a pain to remove there.

Caulerpa%20Prolifera.JPG

OR

Cactus caulerpa in the sand bed

Macro_Algae_for_Reef_Tank_Aquarium_Saltw

These two caulerpas are safer than others. I have never had them go sexual or cause problems when I had them.

and Red Titan if you want something red on the rocks since its pretty and practically unkillable as long as nothing eats it and not invasive. 

Ok, I think I’ll try one of those. I might pick up the dragons breath too, mainly bc it looks really pretty. How much of the macro algae should I get? Do I need a lot?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, I think I’ll try one of those. I might pick up the dragons breath too, mainly bc it looks really pretty. How much of the macro algae should I get? Do I need a lot?

Just buy 1 of whichever ones you want to try. As they grow it will suck down PO4. Sometimes they are in rough shape after shipping and will die back at first then rejuvenate, I just clip/trim any clearish dying parts. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Just buy 1 of whichever ones you want to try. As they grow it will suck down PO4. Sometimes they are in rough shape after shipping and will die back at first then rejuvenate, I just clip/trim any clearish dying parts. 

Ok, I will. Thank you

• Like 1

Macros will help for sure! 

On a side note, I was thinking about turns out I was also 17 when I started my first reef tank, a 20g. Back then (phew I sound old when I say that), LED were not a thing, heck even t5 were not out there yet. All we had was metal halide and t8 NO hahaha. And the only affordable skimmer was the seaclone!!! What a waste of money😂. That was in 2005 or so hahaha

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

On a side note, I was thinking about turns out I was also 17 when I started my first reef tank, a 20g. Back then (phew I sound old when I say that), LED were not a thing, heck even t5 were not out there yet. All we had was metal halide and t8 NO hahaha. And the only affordable skimmer was the seaclone!!! What a waste of money😂. That was in 2005 or so hahaha

Wow, technically has come a far way😂

22 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

You making me feel so young :blush:

LED's were really new when I started, 0.5-1w weaklings were the high end and only blue/white bulky things. The best LED's were the guys making DIY. Replacing my compact bulbs with generation 1 panorama pro's was such a big deal. I think it was like 80 or 100 bucks just for a strip of like 8 1w leds or something :somber: Now they have the chinese par's for like 20 bucks that blow them away.

Corals were so damn cheap then...

Price of equipment vs the quality you get is a lot better now days. Didn't even have jaebo then! Super cheap now to get into the hobby equipment wise if you use the budget stuff. To get anything as nice as a IM AIO you had to do pico reefs or custom build $$$$........

...but prices of corals have gone way UP! So we still all burning our wallets. 

Also I got REAL live rock for my 1st ever tank, better than any tampa rock or gulf live rock.... man that was the stuff. I saw so much cool shit. It's good we arn't taking rock from the reefs though.

I always thought it was stupid we took pukani live rock out of the ocean and then it got dried out to sell as dry rock. Glad its been discontinued, not even attempting to preserve life is stupid. 

• Like 2

We had Fiji live rock!! Very nice too!! And we could get a colony for 30$!!! Hahaha things have changed lol. We now have some captive bred fish!

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You making me feel so young :blush:

LED's were really new when I started, 0.5-1w weaklings were the high end and only blue/white bulky things. The best LED's were the guys making DIY. Replacing my compact bulbs with generation 1 panorama pro's was such a big deal. I think it was like 80 or 100 bucks just for a strip of like 8 1w leds or something :somber: Now they have the chinese par's for like 20 bucks that blow them away.

Corals were so damn cheap then...

Price of equipment vs the quality you get is a lot better now days. Didn't even have jaebo then! Super cheap now to get into the hobby equipment wise if you use the budget stuff. To get anything as nice as a IM AIO you had to do pico reefs or custom build $$$$........

...but prices of corals have gone way UP! So we still all burning our wallets. 

Also I got REAL live rock for my 1st ever tank, better than any tampa rock or gulf live rock.... man that was the stuff. I saw so much cool shit. It's good we arn't taking rock from the reefs though.

I always thought it was stupid we took pukani live rock out of the ocean and then it got dried out to sell as dry rock. Glad its been discontinued, not even attempting to preserve life is stupid. 

I wonder what kinda leds and technology that we will have in 5 years😂

With the new auto testing equipment and dosing coming out...the wipers that clean skimmers....and so on....Sometimes

I wonder if automation will go so far that will it be more machine that is maintaining a reef or man? 

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, well I have an update to make. I ran to the store today and I picked up a bunch of filter fiber. This was what you guys said I should get correct? How do I use it?

7CF64F9A-57BB-4534-BC12-267B3728A9E9.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also order some C prolifera off eBay. It should be here next week. I also ordered a bunch of nassarius snails to clean the sand bed. I think a lot of my problems could be coming from my sand bed

• Like 1