SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Friendly said:

another cool thing is the LOOP system from Current USA. you get lights, pumps & wave makers that are connected to a single controller (which is the real bonus!) that lets you program all those kinds of things too.

however, their lights are exactly known to be 'powerful', so probably not good for a tall tank with anything needing a lot of light at the bottom. simple softies would likely be fine...but a clam wouldn't be. not sure if lighting for a conch is important, don't know much about them.

what does your family think of it now? and your little brother?

edit - oh yeah, what vacuum do you use on the sand bed? I haven't seen many on here speak of using an actual vacuum like you would in a freshwater tank on the gravel, so I'm very curious!

My family really likes it. They like how colorful it is turning out to be. My brother is a little disappointed in me bc I didn’t get the stuff he wants, but that’s bc he wanted stuff like tangs and big puffer fish. I just use a simple vacuum that a lot of people would use in a freshwater tank. It works pretty well. 

10 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

My family really likes it. They like how colorful it is turning out to be. My brother is a little disappointed in me bc I didn’t get the stuff he wants, but that’s bc he wanted stuff like tangs and big puffer fish. I just use a simple vacuum that a lot of people would use in a freshwater tank. It works pretty well. 

how old is your brother? he understands that those fish require much much larger aquariums and to put him in a 29 gallon is inhumane?

that's cool about the vacuum. do you find you're losing much in the way of sand? it's much lighter, so would be easier to get sucked right up and into the waste bucket.

one last request, Ethan...can we get an up-to-date FTS? you've got lots of photo's in the last bit, but none of them are a FTS.  😞 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

30 minutes ago, Friendly said:

how old is your brother? he understands that those fish require much much larger aquariums and to put him in a 29 gallon is inhumane?

that's cool about the vacuum. do you find you're losing much in the way of sand? it's much lighter, so would be easier to get sucked right up and into the waste bucket.

Like a siphon vac? That's what I used when I had sand in the pico. 

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

another cool thing is the LOOP system from Current USA. you get lights, pumps & wave makers that are connected to a single controller (which is the real bonus!) that lets you program all those kinds of things too.

however, their lights are exactly known to be 'powerful', so probably not good for a tall tank with anything needing a lot of light at the bottom. simple softies would likely be fine...but a clam wouldn't be. not sure if lighting for a conch is important, don't know much about them.

what does your family think of it now? and your little brother?

edit - oh yeah, what vacuum do you use on the sand bed? I haven't seen many on here speak of using an actual vacuum like you would in a freshwater tank on the gravel, so I'm very curious!

Huh? Most of us vaccume our sand with gravel vacs.

Nass snails don't seem to do anything for me besides sleep all day and come out if they smell food then sit around again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Huh? Most of us vaccume our sand with gravel vacs.

like I said, I haven't seen it talked about...doesn't mean syphon vacuums aren't used, just not talked about. most talk about using turkey basters and their CUC.   🙂

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Friendly said:

He’s 14, but he acts like he’s 8 sometimes. I’m not losing too much sand, a good bit of water, but that’s it.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
50 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Full Tank Shot...one where you see everything from the front.  😄

B55DBFC2-D650-4E9C-9F08-B76D5E0C8520.jpeg

4FEE572E-706C-417D-8EBF-ABBF38CA405B.jpeg

B52F678B-86D8-47DB-8C9E-C02F651E1C19.jpeg

BE3AEFE5-5E74-4C0B-8EE5-0B456DC790E5.jpeg

4342DFAB-5FA8-4339-B579-B0A4F73CAFDF.jpeg

As you can see, the hammer is still not doing great. I’m ordering some test kits for everything here soon

• Like 2

thank you, Ethan, it's looking good...and I really like that plateau look on the left hand side. 😄

also, you have so much space in the upper water column! you should consider getting some fish that like to swim closer to the surface for moar activity!

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Friendly said:

thank you, Ethan, it's looking good...and I really like that plateau look on the left hand side. 😄

also, you have so much space in the upper water column! you should consider getting some fish that like to swim closer to the surface for moar activity!

I was considering that. Now that I don’t have a puffer, I was considering getting a fish that would do that. What do you recommend? A wrasse of some sort? A basslet?

• Like 1

That is a freaking snail army in there!

Basslets have always been cave dwellers for me. 

Bangaii cardinal, chromis, ect. hang out at the top.

I personally wouldn't add more fish until your tank is thriving. It looks better but something is 'off'. Not just the hammer, but things are not as full as they should be. They just don't look super happy. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
42 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

That is a freaking snail army in there!

Basslets have always been cave dwellers for me. 

Bangaii cardinal, chromis, ect. hang out at the top.

I personally wouldn't add more fish until your tank is thriving. It looks better but something is 'off'. Not just the hammer, but things are not as full as they should be. They just don't look super happy. 

What do you think could be the issue? Should I do bigger water changes? Should I test for something that I haven’t yet?

39 minutes ago, Friendly said:

could it be the lighting?

Doubtful unless its too high or too low. I used Chinese boxes years ago with great success and a reefer near me has a full SPS/Acro tank under a mars aqua cheap box and the colors and growth are phenomenal.

Tbh the tank still looks dirty to me and just 'off' almost sterile and a bit dirty at the same time? - I don't see coralline growth. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say Po4 is too high or too low or imblanced vs Nitrates but I am just guessing. Idk whats going on behind the scenes or what is in that filter 🔍

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Doubtful unless its too high or too low. I used Chinese boxes years ago with great success and a reefer near me has a full SPS/Acro tank under a mars aqua cheap box and the colors and growth are phenomenal.

Tbh the tank still looks dirty to me and just 'off' almost sterile and a bit dirty at the same time? - I don't see coralline growth. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say Po4 is too high or too low or imblanced vs Nitrates but I am just guessing. Idk whats going on behind the scenes or what is in that filter 🔍

I do not have a po4 test kit yet. I was about to get one, so hopefully we will know soon enough. 

The filter just has the normal stuff it came with. I replace the pads every 2 to 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

I personally would change to disposable floss changed twice a week and make a DIY surface skimmer for it. I have seen them made out of pop bottles or PVC and other cheap crap that might set you back like two dollars 😛

I am not sure what the pads are but no sponges, if the pads are carbon, that is okay but needs to run AFTER the floss. You would be better off buying media bags and BRS carbon and bagging your own. 

If you arn't, I would also be soaking and scrubbing all the pumps/heater and filter clean so its spotless monthly. This keeps them working to spec and removes crud build up. 

Basically find what is consistently successful with other people and try to emulate that. Ignore the outliers like the guy with 8 fish an no algae issues or the guy who runs a canister and hasn't changed it in a year (I am being dramatic). Some people win the lottery too but it probably won't be us 😛

@Clown79 does a fantastic job and it's all on the TOTM page. 

You are going in the right direction but you aren't there yet so I would be hesitant to add more fish. We all face dumb crap though... clown had Dino... I had Dino... now I have cyano because I overshot feeding trying to kill the dino 😮 Scorches tank went through some bad times. It happens but only patience and hard work will turn it all around. 

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I personally would change to disposable floss changed twice a week and make a DIY surface skimmer for it. I have seen them made out of pop bottles or PVC and other cheap crap that might set you back like two dollars 😛

I am not sure what the pads are but no sponges, if the pads are carbon, that is okay but needs to run AFTER the floss. You would be better off buying media bags and BRS carbon and bagging your own. 

If you arn't, I would also be soaking and scrubbing all the pumps/heater and filter clean so its spotless monthly. This keeps them working to spec and removes crud build up. 

Basically find what is consistently successful with other people and try to emulate that. Ignore the outliers like the guy with 8 fish an no algae issues or the guy who runs a canister and hasn't changed it in a year (I am being dramatic). Some people win the lottery too but it probably won't be us 😛

@Clown79 does a fantastic job and it's all on the TOTM page. 

You are going in the right direction but you aren't there yet so I would be hesitant to add more fish. We all face dumb crap though... clown had Dino... I had Dino... now I have cyano because I overshot feeding trying to kill the dino 😮 Scorches tank went through some bad times. It happens but only patience and hard work will turn it all around. 

Ok thank you, could you possibly give me pictures of what I should get? Or show me on amazon? It’s so much easier to find and buy it that way. And to make sure I’m getting the correct thing. 

Also, how would I make a diy surface skimmer?

This is what I use in my media baskets but there are many viable options. Floss/carbon/purigen are generally always acceptable additions. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16720-Chemi-Bags-Aquarium/dp/B00BUFTSV6/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=media+bag&qid=1561157884&s=gateway&sr=8-12

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-67101660-Purigen-250ml/dp/B000255PJE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2N5PUWG3JMHKK&keywords=purigen&qid=1561157956&s=gateway&sprefix=purigen%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-4

https://www.bigalspets.com/big-al-s-filter-floss.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/inTank-Aquarium-Pond-Value-600-square-inches/dp/B00B50UPE0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=filter+floss&qid=1561158016&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I would get this first since you don't have one:

https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-Smarthome-SH-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B0791GFF59/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2JDDYY4EXW0FP&keywords=refractometer&qid=1561158087&s=gateway&sprefix=refractome%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-7

and

https://www.amazon.com/AccuBrate-Refractometer-Salinity-Calibration-Fluid/dp/B07HQSY9QG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=calibration+fluid&qid=1561158117&s=gateway&sr=8-4

There are many ways to make a DIY surface skimmer. Just be sure to top off your tank every day. If you let your water evap too low, it won't be high enough to get into the filter.

DSC03560.jpg&key=d3e4980f3e38cc1b573d119

or

rjmpico_skim_top_full.jpg

rjmpico_skim_top.jpg

rjmpico_skim_frt.jpg

or 

IaMZZnW.jpg

A surface skimmer is just a box or pipe with teeth to gather the water from the surface before it goes into the filter. You can find lots of examples googling. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

This is what I use in my media baskets but there are many viable options. Floss/carbon/purigen are generally always acceptable additions. 

https://www.amazon.com/Boyd-Enterprises-ABE16720-Chemi-Bags-Aquarium/dp/B00BUFTSV6/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=media+bag&qid=1561157884&s=gateway&sr=8-12

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-67101660-Purigen-250ml/dp/B000255PJE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2N5PUWG3JMHKK&keywords=purigen&qid=1561157956&s=gateway&sprefix=purigen%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-4

https://www.bigalspets.com/big-al-s-filter-floss.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/inTank-Aquarium-Pond-Value-600-square-inches/dp/B00B50UPE0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=filter+floss&qid=1561158016&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I would get this first since you don't have one:

https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-Smarthome-SH-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B0791GFF59/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2JDDYY4EXW0FP&keywords=refractometer&qid=1561158087&s=gateway&sprefix=refractome%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-7

and

https://www.amazon.com/AccuBrate-Refractometer-Salinity-Calibration-Fluid/dp/B07HQSY9QG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=calibration+fluid&qid=1561158117&s=gateway&sr=8-4

There are many ways to make a DIY surface skimmer. Just be sure to top off your tank every day. If you let your water evap too low, it won't be high enough to get into the filter.

DSC03560.jpg&key=d3e4980f3e38cc1b573d119

or

rjmpico_skim_top_full.jpg

rjmpico_skim_top.jpg

rjmpico_skim_frt.jpg

or 

IaMZZnW.jpg

A surface skimmer is just a box or pipe with teeth to gather the water from the surface before it goes into the filter. You can find lots of examples googling. 

What’s the point of a surface skimmer?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

What’s the point of a surface skimmer?

Oils and crud/scum, dirt/dust, tend to gather at the waters surface. It helps gather all that junk for the filter to remove. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Oils and crud/scum, dirt/dust, tend to gather at the waters surface. It helps gather all that junk for the filter to remove. 

Oh ok, I’ll have to try to diy one of those

• Like 1

Have you gotten your tests? Curious to see PO4 levels. Although testing for this is    hard because they are somewhat inaccurate. I just bring mine to my LFS and they test it with their hanna PO4 checker. I would also get something to add some water agitation in top, like a powerhead or wavemaker. That's  29g tall right? I have one sitting in the basement because trying to get decent flow with those dimensions kinda suck lol. Either too much or too little.