SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

He’s not the most colorful rainbow, but it’s mainly bc I don’t have the best lighting as sum people. 

D3183FF3-A087-4A42-B6C0-775F489D98C5.jpeg

401A0035-EE76-4C26-BE2E-FF7BD0BE21FC.jpeg

FED3CAA5-B94D-4E18-93D5-658CE01CBFE9.jpeg

A4F0061A-D29F-494E-8F83-59B63CE9F854.jpeg

5E96F03E-2446-401F-800A-2421AD741FCB.jpeg

The first one is more recent, the other ones were a few months ago when I still had cyano issues. 

• Like 1

He's cool but I doubt it is the lighting, I have seen impressive as hell tanks under chinese black boxes. That might just be his natural color, they can be purple, or tan, etc too. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

He's cool but I doubt it is the lighting, I have seen impressive as hell tanks under chinese black boxes. That might just be his natural color, they can be purple, or tan, etc too. 

Oh ok, I still like that he has two different colors. He goes from orange to red which is neat. 

• Like 2

idk anything about carpets and their growth rate but I would assume if it is healthy it WILL grow. I would think if it never grows, that would just be a sign of surviving and not thriving. If it's nutritional needs are met, it should grow. I am just thinking out-loud and perhaps they grow slow, I don't know. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

He’s not the most colorful rainbow, but it’s mainly bc I don’t have the best lighting as sum people. 

D3183FF3-A087-4A42-B6C0-775F489D98C5.jpeg

401A0035-EE76-4C26-BE2E-FF7BD0BE21FC.jpeg

FED3CAA5-B94D-4E18-93D5-658CE01CBFE9.jpeg

A4F0061A-D29F-494E-8F83-59B63CE9F854.jpeg

5E96F03E-2446-401F-800A-2421AD741FCB.jpeg

The first one is more recent, the other ones were a few months ago when I still had cyano issues. 

Haddoni anemone are known to eat fish, even the clownfish they are hosting. Might be a giant carpet too i'm not sure. Either way if you don't find the puffer I would blame the carpet anemone haha

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

That’s what I’m leaning towards

I mean if the puffer is dead, I would’ve seen a body? Correct? I have a lot of flow in the tank, so if he was dead his body should at least be floating around the tank?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Doubt it, I almost never find bodies, they don't really float. 

Would something in the tank eat it? Recently a lot of my hermits have been disappearing and I don’t know why? The only one that’s left is my big zebra hermit. I also have jerry who is getting better. Seems to be moving quite a bit more. The rest are just a cleaner shrimp, and a bunch of snails and a conch. 

4 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

That nem looks like a gigantea

How fast do they grow? 

8 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Would something in the tank eat it? Recently a lot of my hermits have been disappearing and I don’t know why? The only one that’s left is my big zebra hermit. I also have jerry who is getting better. Seems to be moving quite a bit more. The rest are just a cleaner shrimp, and a bunch of snails and a conch. 

How fast do they grow? 

Ya your worms will eat it to nothing in short order. Might just be hiding or died in a rock crevice, shrug. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
27 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya your worms will eat it to nothing in short order. Might just be hiding or died in a rock crevice, shrug. 

I really hope not. That will probably just cause a lot of problems in my tank if he’s dead in a crevice.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also update on Jerry. I was able to get him to eat. At first he couldn’t really eat it, but I guided the food to his mouth and he started chewing on it, then he ate it. 

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

How fast do they grow? 

Not a clue lol. But I'm guessing it depends on lighting, water quality and food, like other nems, and can get to 36 inches in diameter. A beast lol

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Not a clue lol. But I'm guessing it depends on lighting, water quality and food, like other nems, and can get to 36 inches in diameter. A beast lol

Yea, will probably have to give him up in the future 

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also update on Jerry. I was able to get him to eat. At first he couldn’t really eat it, but I guided the food to his mouth and he started chewing on it, then he ate it. 

World 1st evil crab being nursed back to health

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
14 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Oh, I don't know - Derp could give Jerry a run for his money. :ninja:

I don’t know if I checked out your story yet. Is derp a hermit crab? I feel I’ve seen him before🤔

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

so Ethan, can you provide an update of HW and livestock?

Yea

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Livestock:

1 perc. clown

1 gold nugget maroon clown

1 yellow watchman goby

1 orange spotted goby

Of course Jerry the evil crab

A big ass zebra hermit crab

A few turbo snails the size of golf balls 

About 20 nerite snails

A tiger conch

The rainbow carpet nem

The big long tentacle nem

Also a cleaner shrimp

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

HW: 

A aqua clear 50 filter

2 sun sun wave makers 

A protein skimmer that I cannot remember the name of( my bad, sorry)

A glass heater from my lfs for a 30 gallon tank

Viparspectra 165w led light

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Livestock:

1 perc. clown

1 gold nugget maroon clown

1 yellow watchman goby

1 orange spotted goby

Of course Jerry the evil crab

A big ass zebra hermit crab

A few turbo snails the size of golf balls 

About 20 nerite snails

A tiger conch

The rainbow carpet nem

The big long tentacle nem

Also a cleaner shrimp

very nice. how are you finding the maintenance upkeep required for that much bioload?

Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

HW: 

A aqua clear 50 filter

2 sun sun wave makers 

A protein skimmer that I cannot remember the name of( my bad, sorry)

A glass heater from my lfs for a 30 gallon tank

Viparspectra 165w led light

is your AC50 modified in any way, like with a media basket?

is the skimmer external?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Friendly said:

very nice. how are you finding the maintenance upkeep required for that much bioload?

Maintenance is not horrible, I just vacuum the sand bed once a week and do a 15 to 20% water change once a week also. 

Scrape off the algae when it’s on the glass, but it hasn’t become a huge problem lately. The nerites seem to be doing a pretty good job.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Maintenance is not horrible, I just vacuum the sand bed once a week and do a 15 to 20% water change once a week also. 

Scrape off the algae when it’s on the glass, but it hasn’t become a huge problem lately. The nerites seem to be doing a pretty good job.

what do you use to vacuum the sand? have you thought of getting sand sifting snails, shrimp or fish to help maintain the sand bed?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’m planning to upgrade the wave makers here soon. I’ve been saving my money for a maxispect gyre for my tank. I like how they have a wave mode on it. I can also buy a nem protector for it too, so I won’t have to be worried about my nems getting caught.

Just now, Friendly said:

what do you use to vacuum the sand? have you thought of getting sand sifting snails, shrimp or fish to help maintain the sand bed?

Yes I have, I’m thinking of buying a bunch of nassarius snails to clean the sand bed for me. All I have as of right now is the tiger conch.

• Like 2

another cool thing is the LOOP system from Current USA. you get lights, pumps & wave makers that are connected to a single controller (which is the real bonus!) that lets you program all those kinds of things too.

however, their lights are exactly known to be 'powerful', so probably not good for a tall tank with anything needing a lot of light at the bottom. simple softies would likely be fine...but a clam wouldn't be. not sure if lighting for a conch is important, don't know much about them.

what does your family think of it now? and your little brother?

edit - oh yeah, what vacuum do you use on the sand bed? I haven't seen many on here speak of using an actual vacuum like you would in a freshwater tank on the gravel, so I'm very curious!