Cultivated Reef

Banasophia’s Biocube 16 & IM Nuvo 10 ☀️

banasophia

🤞🤞🤞 Finnick (my mandarin) has started scarfing up the pellets again. Hoping he’ll pull through. Been working late so not able to get the black worms yet, but I still hope to try those too. 

• Like 6
On 3/2/2021 at 12:21 PM, TNSRFR said:

Hi, I’m a returning reefer and just joined the forum.  I like your tank, especially in your success in keeping NPS corals.  I acquired a sun coral 3mos ago from LFS but no luck in getting it to open.  Been trying Tupperware method for the past month but not much progress.  Any advise would be very appreciated.

0839BE20-A630-4D6F-91A3-AE1AD60B7638.jpeg

How’s your sun doing? Is it opening yet? My new one is stubborn too. 

Ocean_dreamer89

Wait so I completely missed that Finnick was having troubles somehow! How's the little guy doing?? He's such a beautiful fish!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ocean_dreamer89 said:

Wait so I completely missed that Finnick was having troubles somehow! How's the little guy doing?? He's such a beautiful fish!

Thanks, yes, he was in my Evo 5 at the time so I think I posted the details there... I think using the double dose of Reef Flux in that tank (mentioned in the directions you can use to get it to work faster) was too much and seemed to cause Finnick lose his appetite for pellets. He would try to eat one and then spit it out and swim away instead of gobbling them up like usual. He did continue to show interest in pods though. 

Reef Flux is fluconazole and actually has the side effect when I take it that it changes the taste of things, so I’m wondering if it may have had a similar effect on Finnick. He wasted away pretty severely within about a week... I moved him back to this tank and he has finally started eating pellets again. I just got back from buying a few more bottles of pods... I tried to get black worms too but they were sold out, hoping to have more in by Thursday. 

• Like 3

Both the 16 and 10 are looking fantastic. I love the contrast of your photos when you post the daylight and “beauty”. Really great job on these tanks.  

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Both the 16 and 10 are looking fantastic. I love the contrast of your photos when you post the daylight and “beauty”. Really great job on these tanks.  

Thanks so much! ☺️ yes, one of the things I love about the Biocube stock lights is how they have the three distinct phases. I need to check out your tank too!! 🤗

That sun coral is a BEAUTY!  I ended up getting yellow and black ones from Aqua life and they are doing great.  Opening up and taking in food.   Yellow one is a pig, opens up all the time.  I’m so glad.  I still have my stubborn one but stopped the Tupperware method.  I just leave it and blast the food every night into the mouth.  Still alive.  When I see its polyps, I’ll be so happy.  

• Like 2

I have a mandrin in my tank and they are one of my favorite fish.  I’ve had her since last April (ORA from LFS) and she was a tiny little baby.   She’s grown and grazing all day long.  What I have been doing is adding copepods and dosing phytoplankton every day.  I get two bottles of 5280 pods auto ship (maybe an overkill) from AlgaeBarn every month and dose OcenMagic two capful every evening (I have a reefer 170, 43 gallon total with sump).  I also hatch baby brine shrimp and feed her everyday.  They are a very finicky fish.  She doesn’t eat anything else other than pods and baby brine shrimp.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Read your latest post.  I seem to be behind somehow. 😜.  If he is eating, he will bounce back in no time.  So glad to hear about your Finnick!  👍🏻

• Like 1
On 3/24/2021 at 11:27 PM, banasophia said:

How’s your sun doing? Is it opening yet? My new one is stubborn too. 

How’s your new sun coral doing?  Not sure what to do with my stubborn one.  It’s just there being difficult.  😖.  I’ve been blasting food into it’s mouth but nothing.  I noticed apitasia started to pop up.  Maybe it has to do with over feeding???  Pulling my hair out but don’t have a heart to toss it out...  😞

• Like 1
6 hours ago, TNSRFR said:

How’s your new sun coral doing?  Not sure what to do with my stubborn one.  It’s just there being difficult.  😖.  I’ve been blasting food into it’s mouth but nothing.  I noticed apitasia started to pop up.  Maybe it has to do with over feeding???  Pulling my hair out but don’t have a heart to toss it out...  😞

Yeah, my new sun coral is still being stubborn too... the tentacles are still sticking out only the tiniest little bit. The flesh isn’t receding though, so that’s a good sign. And don’t even mention the aiptasia... I have berghias living in my tank right now, apparently in harmony with the aiptasia... I see them at night from time to time, but they do not seem at all interested in doing anything to address my aiptasia farm. 😤

At least you see some tentacles on yours. Mine, nothing what so ever. We can post them as one of the stubbornest coral of the year.  😜. I researched berghias and it says that it takes time and you have to have multiple for them to work.  I don’t think mine is quite ready to introduce them yet.  I ordered F aiptasia to try it out.  What to do with these DARN pests.  😤

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TNSRFR said:

At least you see some tentacles on yours. Mine, nothing what so ever. We can post them as one of the stubbornest coral of the year.  😜. I researched berghias and it says that it takes time and you have to have multiple for them to work.  I don’t think mine is quite ready to introduce them yet.  I ordered F aiptasia to try it out.  What to do with these DARN pests.  😤

Yeah I’ve gotten berghia several times... takes typcally 6-8 weeks for the aiptasia to start to disappear and then they are great. They usually reproduce and then the babies eat the aiptasia. But it seems to be taking much longer than usual this time. They are still alive and large now, hopefully they will lay eggs soon. 

• Like 1

Good looking tank!  They all look happy.  I see your latest sun.  When she opens up, she will be the center piece!  😄👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TNSRFR said:

Good looking tank!  They all look happy.  I see your latest sun.  When she opens up, she will be the center piece!  😄👍🏻

Thanks so much. 😊 Yes, that sun coral should be so beautiful once it opens, but it is seriously a tough one to please! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

That’s great news. Got my fingers crossed for Finnick! 

Thanks so much. 🤗 Me too! 🤞🤞🤞

• 3 months later...