SaltCritters.com

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

I have about 30 of the Giants if yours ever check out. They grow super slow.

One thing that we've noticed with using LC at home and the shop is you really need to up the mechanical filtration using it. I add a second internal filtre when I dose it to pull it out of suspension as well as adding filtre floss to the bag to pull out the LC. We've seen the zoanthid melt from it as well.

• Like 4
Christopher Marks
14 hours ago, metrokat said:

October FTS

Reefer350_Oct2019.jpg

Glad to see your reef is on the mend @metrokat, what a journey.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, metrokat said:

This 3rd place aquascaping contest win was put together by my plant club. Yes yes I am members of a plant club. aquascape3.thumb.jpg.f8f60529bb1f6fcc8e035d3f0f425c2e.jpg

This is so cool, it turned out amazing. Congrats! It sounds like you're having fun in the freshwater planted world, I bet there's a great planted tank club out there too!

• Like 4
19 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I have about 30 of the Giants if yours ever check out. They grow super slow.

One thing that we've noticed with using LC at home and the shop is you really need to up the mechanical filtration using it. I add a second internal filtre when I dose it to pull it out of suspension as well as adding filtre floss to the bag to pull out the LC. We've seen the zoanthid melt from it as well.

Giants? 

You're right on the mechanical filtration with LaCl. I used to dose it right in front of the skimmer intake. But for my next time using it, it will be slow dripped into the overflow so it goes through the whole sump before going back to the DT.

13 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Glad to see your reef is on the mend @metrokat, what a journey.

This is so cool, it turned out amazing. Congrats! It sounds like you're having fun in the freshwater planted world, I bet there's a great planted tank club out there too!

The aquatic plant club meets pretty much monthly. At my first meeting @Mariaface and I came home with a BUCKET of plants! We trade cuttings at the the meeting in addition to whoever is hosting the meeting we scape their tanks or do whatever is a planned activity. Pretty cool. Only downer is that some of these meeting are very far - 1-2 hours away.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

The aquatic plant club meets pretty much monthly. At my first meeting @Mariaface and I came home with a BUCKET of plants! We trade cuttings at the the meeting in addition to whoever is hosting the meeting we scape their tanks or do whatever is a planned activity. Pretty cool. Only downer is that some of these meeting are very far - 1-2 hours away.

Is the club in Manhattan? 

31 minutes ago, William said:

Is the club in Manhattan? 

When Brooklyn hardscape hosts an Open house then members go there and we have had a couple meetings there too but it's a NJ club. The next open house (and last one since he's shutting the studio and moving West) is Friday Nov 8. Google Brooklyn hardscape for the address.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Tank looks really good, Kat. I just noticed your wrasse is larger than your foxface - is it just me, or is really that big? Beautiful though!

Thank you.

It's the angle of the picture I think, the fox is the largest fish I have but my super male Wrasse is almost as long as the fox. He looks bigger when he flashes and turns on his shark mode. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Giants? 

You're right on the mechanical filtration with LaCl. I used to dose it right in front of the skimmer intake. But for my next time using it, it will be slow dripped into the overflow so it goes through the whole sump before going back to the DT.

The Giant Palys you gave to M. They're in my tank now and I put 6 over at the shop to grow them some.

On 10/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, mitten_reef said:

I think it's very similar to how anyone would post comments/advices on forums.  When other people find those comments useful, one become an influencer.  But in social media, pictures and videos are becoming the means of "proving" your point.  But often times of late, it's just "what you have" as given by sponsors because you have a big following - not what you truly know about the hobby.    

Let's use you as an example. I certainly picked up some good tips from you.  You're my influencer in some ways, shaping my view on the common hobby methods.  Sometimes I just want to know how the man behind the advices is doing with his own tank.  If I were you, I'd start a tank journal to show your level of success, in addition to pointing others to go to your blog which is nice that it's full of research-based knowledge.    

The whole topic of who is truly an influencer is a whole different can of worms.  There are a bunch of Instagram accounts with pretty pictures, gained massive followers.  But are they all truly influential in a good way?  Are all of these influencers being good stewards of the hobby?  One guy put a hippo tang in a Lagoon 25 and is very famous - I never followed him, but many do. Should that guy even get sponsorship or be featured by a major retailer?     

@metrokat, sorry to jump on this influencer tidbit, some of them just don't seem right to me.  But I'm glad you're giving more attention to the reef again finally.  and the tank looks nice - empty (for a Kat's tank), but still nice.  Time to stock up. 

I hate when I see people sponsored that are keeping wildly inappropriate fish. Sure their fish may be okay and healthy for now and that person probably has the means to upgrade their tank. But they are setting an example for others...how many beginners see that fish and use that as an excuse to do it too? 

Our hobby is under fire and people want it shut down. As far as I am concerned showing hippo tangs in 25g tanks is not helpful to keeping our hobby alive. If they care about the hobby....help keep it alive and set a good example for others. Promote change.

• Like 8
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

hey you! how's it going? need some tank pics! @metrokat

Hi - thanks for pinging me. I was out of the country then got busy. How are you? How is everyone. Hello people of NR!!

Tank is healthy, I've been adding a lot of acros. Added a few pieces of dry rock this week because I needed some areas of height and I recently added some euphllia that they need a bit more consideration for placement.

tank.thumb.jpg.6f70d571f6a592f8b887fff17aae2b88.jpg

On 12/27/2019 at 6:06 PM, kevinlogan42 said:

I have been gone for a few years but your tank sure grew up while I was gone. Tank looks good sorry if that comes off as stockerish/ creepy🤦‍♂️

Not at all, thanks for posting. 

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
55 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Hi - thanks for pinging me. I was out of the country then got busy. How are you? How is everyone. Hello people of NR!!

Tank is healthy, I've been adding a lot of acros. Added a few pieces of dry rock this week because I needed some areas of height and I recently added some euphllia that they need a bit more consideration for placement.

Hehe, thanks for not let me struck out completely.  You’re the only reply out of 5-6 people that I tried to get to give an update. Tank is looking really nice btw. Did the water issue sort itself out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Hehe, thanks for not let me struck out completely.  You’re the only reply out of 5-6 people that I tried to get to give an update. Tank is looking really nice btw. Did the water issue sort itself out?

I've been adding Brightwell CoralAmino and I think it brought back a lot of my dying corals. I am using Lanthanum Chloride again, from Brightwell and dosing it very precisely. Levels are alright. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Those colors! 😲 The tank is looking great @metrokat, good to see ya!

The frag racks are getting full too, are those all waiting to be placed?

Hi there. Thanks for your kind words. The tank is now just over 1.5 years old and hopefully will show good growth after some setbacks. 

The frags are new, I visited a friend a week ago and he sent me home with a uhaul. Ha. I've glued down several since I took this picture but still more to go.

• Like 7
On 2/7/2020 at 11:26 PM, metrokat said:

Love the way that you have mounted those corals on the branch, very clever. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 10:25 AM, metrokat said:

IMG_20180614_195133.thumb.jpg.57d03b35948261da4ecd2fcbbced7ccb.jpg

Hiya Kat 🙂

I'm only up to page 4, so no spoilers!  But I just had to ask what T5 bulb combo you had here?

I'm trying to reproduce what I had in my very last tank (2016), but I cannot remember what I was running.  Drugs are bad, m'kay?

Here's a pic BTW - not to hijack but I feel a light selection kinship.

spacer.png

• Like 1