SaltCritters.com

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

1 hour ago, Hypsophrys said:

Hiya Kat 🙂

I'm only up to page 4, so no spoilers!  But I just had to ask what T5 bulb combo you had here?

I'm trying to reproduce what I had in my very last tank (2016), but I cannot remember what I was running.  Drugs are bad, m'kay?

Here's a pic BTW - not to hijack but I feel a light selection kinship.

spacer.png

I think this picture I had 2 actinic blue (or blue+), 2 aquablue, 2 purple. But it was 15 months ago so I'm just guessing based on what I remember.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey kat! Fantastic tank as always. 

Quick question on Anthia husbandry. I have had trouble keeping them and not sure if I am simply not keeping up with the required feeding? How do you do it?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, yoshii said:

Gorgeous Kat 😍 what's that chalice/favia in the lower right corner in the last pic?

Thanks Yoshii. That's a pink boobies chalice.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:50 PM, mitten_reef said:

Nice to see some photo updates on here. Tank is coming along nicely for sure. I spied a nice big Katropora colony growing. 

Yeah finally getting some good growth all around. No more dry start tanks for me. Ever. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sad news - Juu the Japanese Cherry Pistol shrimp that I got as an accidental HH from Dr. Pete on April 12, 2014 is sadly on his last legs. He's got a big colorless patch on his body and can't quite keep himself upright. He jerks away when I try to set him right so I'm not going to touch him and waste his energy. 6 years and change. He's been such a superstar. 

• Sad 3
  • 3 months later...

Well then!

Inky2.thumb.jpg.d88dbb527cf9386882314fb1671640f7.jpg

Meet Ragnar Octavius Inksalot. First of his name. Defender of realms. Terror to crabs. I call him Inky.
Inky has been the boss of me for 21 40+ days. Of course he needed a Viking name since he's a red head. He came from Gulf Live Rock when I got my shipment of fresh ocean rocks 3 weeks ago. He wasn't a HH, Dan sent him to me to be looked after. (He has more). @Gulf Live Rock
Inky is an 🐙 O. Mercatoris, they are fairly common in the waters but not easy to collect since they are nocturnal. They are a dwarf species and sadly don't live very long. 😥
Inky has been enjoying hermit crabs but the LFS cuisine was getting $$ so last week I got 3 dozen fiddler 🦀 from live brine shrimp to offer as a weekly sacrifice to HRH. These crabs are pretty huge for a little dude so the plan is to feed him once about every 5 days. I'm still researching.
Inky is in his very own JBJ/Dennerle tank with submersible filters that need to be upgraded to something stronger. Octopus tanks require robust filtration. The tank has a glass lid and is secured by press and seal all around. No guarantee that he won't escape anyway. @JBJ-USA Aquarium Products 
I'll be posting more about this fascinating animal, and answering your questions as best as I can. I am learning as I go, reading and chatting on forums and groups like @tonmocon and @octonation and hope you enjoy my journey with me.

• Like 10
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

PXL_20201107_060039457.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.e2362d1137e9f9d4d5557bd9181c0980.jpg

So since you just got him, is he shy around you? Does he stay out so you can see him?

Ohh and he's so pretty (or she) lol

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So since you just got him, is he shy around you? Does he stay out so you can see him?

Ohh and he's so pretty (or she) lol

Inky is a nocturnal species so he's not interested in coming out during the daytime at all. So these images and all the video I have is with a night vision camera. I have a few daytime videos and pictures of him from when he was getting acclimated and such and whenever i disturb him but for the most part he's a loner.

• Like 1