Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Thanks everyone.

I have a bacterial slime developing on the wood so researching that.

That's pretty common on manzanita wood.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just realized that for some reason I wasn’t following this.... thought you had disappeared. 

Glad the 350 is doing well and good luck on the planted setup. I added C02 to my 3g pico planted tank and had had great results. I used the UNS mini reactor and 5lb co2 tank (getting C02 in Manhattan can be difficult, no paintball CO2 is available) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, William said:

Just realized that for some reason I wasn’t following this.... thought you had disappeared. 

Glad the 350 is doing well and good luck on the planted setup. I added C02 to my 3g pico planted tank and had had great results. I used the UNS mini reactor and 5lb co2 tank (getting C02 in Manhattan can be difficult, no paintball CO2 is available) 

I'm using the Ista CO2 canister, it's smaller than a paintball canister and isn't an eyesore. I'm running about 1 bubble per second. The tank is going through the uglies that come with every immature tank. I have some film algae on the substrate and some of the wood. Have to toothbrush it at the next water change.

I'm cycling a smaller tank to move to Betta into. 🙂

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I'm using the Ista CO2 canister, it's smaller than a paintball canister and isn't an eyesore. I'm running about 1 bubble per second. The tank is going through the uglies that come with every immature tank. I have some film algae on the substrate and some of the wood. Have to toothbrush it at the next water change.

I'm cycling a smaller tank to move to Betta into. 🙂

Was he attacking your shrimp? Why move the Betta 

7 hours ago, William said:

Was he attacking your shrimp? Why move the Betta 

The 10G is home to a Spotted Hillstream Loach. He's really cool but prefers high flow, high oxygenated cooler waters. The Betta prefers a low flow warmer temperature. The little shrimp cube is 2.5G and is naturally about 2-3 degrees warmer than the 10G. He was not happy in there. I just moved him an hour ago into the new tank, it had finished cycling. Fingers crossed that he is happy in there.

• Like 2

Some White Clouds in there with the loach would be fine. They like fast flowing cooler waters. My friend in Indonesia breeds those loaches. I need to get off my butt this weekend and give the 20 a bath with vinegar. Still looking for an old skool Metaframe 30. Show you youngins old skool aquariums. 😄

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Some White Clouds in there with the loach would be fine. They like fast flowing cooler waters. My friend in Indonesia breeds those loaches. I need to get off my butt this weekend and give the 20 a bath with vinegar. Still looking for an old skool Metaframe 30. Show you youngins old skool aquariums. 😄

Yup I have white clouds, ember tetras, cardinal tetras, neon tetras and 3 cherry shrimp with the Loach. He's so cute.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

The 10G is home to a Spotted Hillstream Loach. He's really cool but prefers high flow, high oxygenated cooler waters. The Betta prefers a low flow warmer temperature. The little shrimp cube is 2.5G and is naturally about 2-3 degrees warmer than the 10G. He was not happy in there. I just moved him an hour ago into the new tank, it had finished cycling. Fingers crossed that he is happy in there.

So three freshwater tanks? 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, metrokat said:

STOP COUNTING!

😛

The 3rd one isn't wet yet

If I didn’t live in a studio I would prob have more tanks. I have started making terrariums instead ... 

B031AF5F-6F10-4C1E-9D47-7D998B72EFA6.jpeg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Your cat reminds me of mine when she was younger and funnier, she would "lounge" around on the sofa all day just like Calleigh in that pic.  Now mine is just a grumpy old lady...🤷🏼‍♂️

Are you getting back to the salty side?  what's going on?  where's the tank update?

• Like 1

Sorry for cluttering your thread with unnecessary content lol but I remember my freshwater days, lots of frustration with dosing CO2 because of how much more work that meant for me. I was using a Kessil A350 I believe...freshwater stuff. Shimmer was unreal with the low water movement.

If you ever go down that route brace yourself for weekly or bi-weekly trim-outs . Gosh I could only find one picture right when I set it up(beginner aquascaping what were you expecting?Amano quality?haha...

I’ll try to dig for a tank picture right before I tore it down. Bushy bushy growth!!

It was way more work than my reef . Getting my scissors out to cut the grass...how ridiculous does that sound ?😹

So good luck with yours if you ever add CO2.😎

100683BC-76D9-41A6-80F7-8BE84E78909D.jpeg

• Like 4
On 11/29/2018 at 10:07 PM, micoastreefing said:

Your cat reminds me of mine when she was younger and funnier, she would "lounge" around on the sofa all day just like Calleigh in that pic.  Now mine is just a grumpy old lady...🤷🏼‍♂️

Are you getting back to the salty side?  what's going on?  where's the tank update?

The salty tank has always been up. I never left.

FTS 11/19

369069836_ThisisFTSfromNov19.thumb.jpg.7d309bb27cdf09af2793f175e8d0ab93.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
On 11/29/2018 at 11:44 PM, Andreww said:

Sorry for cluttering your thread with unnecessary content lol but I remember my freshwater days, lots of frustration with dosing CO2 because of how much more work that meant for me. I was using a Kessil A350 I believe...freshwater stuff. Shimmer was unreal with the low water movement.

If you ever go down that route brace yourself for weekly or bi-weekly trim-outs . Gosh I could only find one picture right when I set it up(beginner aquascaping what were you expecting?Amano quality?haha...

I’ll try to dig for a tank picture right before I tore it down. Bushy bushy growth!!

It was way more work than my reef . Getting my scissors out to cut the grass...how ridiculous does that sound ?😹

So good luck with yours if you ever add CO2.😎

100683BC-76D9-41A6-80F7-8BE84E78909D.jpeg

That's a cool tank! 

I have CO2 on the tank yes - I got a good deal on an Ista CO2 system. It's a smaller canister, not those paintball sized ones, or maybe it is - I really don't know. But it came to me already filled up which I thought was not possible. Tank is going through new tank uglies at the moment - hoping I can get ahead of the algae. The plants are doing fine, I've already trimmed heavily once but that was before I added CO2 - haven't done it since, they are still growing I guess.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:59 PM, Sancho said:

Sup girl? You go freshwater? :sideeyes:

Ya, got a FW bug. 😄

On 11/30/2018 at 12:36 AM, DAP said:

Hey Kat,

Love the rabbit in the freshwater tank 😀

What size is the tank?

Thanks! Couldn't help myself ha ha. It's a Dennerle 10G.

5 hours ago, yoshii said:

A third one? Soon your whole place is going to be FW 😛

😛 It's looking quite fresh in here. lol..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1