metrokat

MetroKat's Reefer: Need About Tree Fiddy

metrokat
2 hours ago, Arkayology said:

You don't post much here anymore Kat?

Hey you - Social media has me cornered. How are you?

• Like 1

HarryPotter
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

Do you still have a tank? 

metrokat
Just now, HarryPotter said:

Do you still have a tank? 

Naw. I have a fantastic reef. HBU

• Haha 7

HarryPotter
13 hours ago, metrokat said:

Naw. I have a fantastic reef. HBU

I have some coralz. I need to follow up on your Instagram. 

• Like 2

Arkayology
On 7/3/2019 at 5:33 PM, metrokat said:

You're so popular :D I'm fine. I finished my PhD and am looking for a job now so I can get back into the hobby/pay bills. How are you doing? Anything noteworthy going on?

• Like 2

metrokat
5 hours ago, Arkayology said:

You're so popular 😄 I'm fine. I finished my PhD and am looking for a job now so I can get back into the hobby/pay bills. How are you doing? Anything noteworthy going on?

I have a freshwater planted tank! 

And I'm a speaker at Reef-A-Palooza California. 🤩

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Arkayology
On 7/16/2019 at 12:27 AM, metrokat said:

I have a freshwater planted tank! 

And I'm a speaker at Reef-A-Palooza California. 🤩

You're a speaker at RAP? Nice!

metrokat

Kat_Dhawan_v2.png.5eb273b1cdbe0ea6b8e140031f553126.png

• Like 9

StinkyBunny

I forgot how beautiful your eyes are, even M commented on them.

mcarroll

What an ironic and appropriate RAP segment!!  Watch I can speak influencer-lingo:  

"I'm sure RAP will be totally "full spectrum" – it'll "pop" as long as the info was "binned" properly ahead of time.  Moderators will help."

Hopefully someone will post vids when it happens since these events are always "local somewhere else". 😉 

metrokat
On 8/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, StinkyBunny said:

I forgot how beautiful your eyes are, even M commented on them.

Why thank you!

On 8/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, mcarroll said:

What an ironic and appropriate RAP segment!!  Watch I can speak influencer-lingo:  

"I'm sure RAP will be totally "full spectrum" – it'll "pop" as long as the info was "binned" properly ahead of time.  Moderators will help."

Hopefully someone will post vids when it happens since these events are always "local somewhere else". 😉 

Lol. It was certainly an eventful weekend. I enjoyed doing my presentation, i didn't allow recording but some bits made it online.

metrokat

I was a guest on a podcast with Scott Fellman recently. Take a listen

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/social-media-for-aquatic-industry-brands-influencers/id1473213245?i=1000449370485

In reef news, the tank went through a major issue which I have plans of explaining at some point even if it is anecdotal. It is recovering nicely thanks to large water changes and Brightwell CoralAmino. I have a little baby yellow tang that is aquacultured from Biota - she's pretty sassy. I've started buying corals again and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they don't die on me. I'm also changing out all the components of my RODI system. I can't remember when I changed the membrane last but the easily changeable cartridges and filters are filthy. Still, I'm getting 0 or 1 out of the final output so it can't be all bad. 

Reef_Oct_2019.thumb.jpg.2e0ccdec1412a8ff66e0804398dc2949.jpg

Attended Aquatic Experience this past weekend and came home with 2 new freshwater tanks. Don't judge me.

katskitchen.thumb.jpg.836944e8e72ec0d0cfc22a889b2a32ca.jpg

This 3rd place aquascaping contest win was put together by my plant club. Yes yes I am members of a plant club. aquascape3.thumb.jpg.f8f60529bb1f6fcc8e035d3f0f425c2e.jpg

• Like 13

StinkyBunny

Congrats on the planted tank!!

• Like 3

Rehype

Hi Kitty 🙂

mcarroll
On 10/16/2019 at 1:09 PM, metrokat said:

Why thank you!

Lol. It was certainly an eventful weekend. I enjoyed doing my presentation, i didn't allow recording but some bits made it online.

What was your talk about?

metrokat
7 hours ago, mcarroll said:

What was your talk about?

Influencers. Scroll up on this page to see the image and topic description

• Like 2

mcarroll

I can remember "influencers" back on Usenet.  

Golden Age of the internet.

Sorta weird topic for a fish conference though.  lol  Sign of the times.

• Like 1

metrokat
On 10/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, mcarroll said:

No not really. If you're an influencer and you're using say a red sea tank and you post about - the people that follow you are likely to consider a Red Sea Tank when they are in the market for a new tank. This is peer-to-peer marketing and just coined as influencer marketing these days. We are all influencers, some with a larger sphere of influence than others. Harnessing the reach of influencer hobbyists is driving sales and the volume of conversation about a brand in all areas of commerce.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

metrokat

October FTS

Reefer350_Oct2019.jpg

• Like 8

metrokat

I haven't posted pictures of the reef in a while. It has been recovering and hopefully continues. Here's what happened. .
Trouble presented itself many months ago like a chemical burn that caused necrosis on the tops of my LPS and encrusting SPS. An alk spike? Nope. Possibly a change in light spectrum or intensity or an Iodine overdose? Nope.
Curiously the necrosis on acropora was patchy. No one predator affects all species in a mixed reef, so no pests.
ICP tests didn't help. Parameters were where they usually are except for high calcium. .
I wasn't sure what was wrong so I wasn't sure how to fix it. In passing I mentioned the issues to a friend and learnt he too had the same issue, so did a few others. What? He asked me if I used Lanthanum Chloride. Yes, I did!
The evidence is anecdotal the problems could be caused by LC precipitate. Both of us have been using LC for years, I've never lost a fish to the precipitate so how can that be affecting my corals?
My guess is recent water changes may have disturbed precipitate that was sitting in the sump. Made it into the display, settled on the tops of the corals. Again, this is anecdotal so I'm not sure that LC actually caused this.
I did a 25% WC taking water from the DT and putting it back in the DT. My clownfish spawned the very next day. They hadn't spawned in several months. I continued large water changes several times a week and the tank seemed to show signs of recovery with each one. .
Since I stopped using LC my Phosphates climbed to 0.95. I've been working to slooooowly bring them down. In the meantime of course I have dancing algae troll dolls 😂.
Interestingly, the corals in the direct path of the return pump showed the most burns. .
I lost a lot of my hard corals. Chalices, acropora, nearly lost the Katropora too. Zoas melted. As of right now I have 3 acros. 4 encrusting SPS, and almost none of the zoas from before. Slowly started adding new corals in August. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for reading a book! I wanted to share the problems and recovery that the reef went through. 🙏
#metrokat #reeflikekat #eatsleepreef #allmymoneygoestocorals #fishtube #mixedreef #marineaquarium

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

seabass
  • What was your phosphate level prior (when dosing LC)?
  • Are you also carbon dosing this tank (ZEOvit or something else)?
  • Nitrate level?

The corals will be responding to the new phosphate levels.  So it will be hard to separate effects caused by stopping LC vs a higher phosphate level.

• Like 1

mitten_reef
On 10/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, mcarroll said:

I think it's very similar to how anyone would post comments/advices on forums.  When other people find those comments useful, one become an influencer.  But in social media, pictures and videos are becoming the means of "proving" your point.  But often times of late, it's just "what you have" as given by sponsors because you have a big following - not what you truly know about the hobby.    

Let's use you as an example. I certainly picked up some good tips from you.  You're my influencer in some ways, shaping my view on the common hobby methods.  Sometimes I just want to know how the man behind the advices is doing with his own tank.  If I were you, I'd start a tank journal to show your level of success, in addition to pointing others to go to your blog which is nice that it's full of research-based knowledge.    

The whole topic of who is truly an influencer is a whole different can of worms.  There are a bunch of Instagram accounts with pretty pictures, gained massive followers.  But are they all truly influential in a good way?  Are all of these influencers being good stewards of the hobby?  One guy put a hippo tang in a Lagoon 25 and is very famous - I never followed him, but many do. Should that guy even get sponsorship or be featured by a major retailer?     

@metrokat, sorry to jump on this influencer tidbit, some of them just don't seem right to me.  But I'm glad you're giving more attention to the reef again finally.  and the tank looks nice - empty (for a Kat's tank), but still nice.  Time to stock up. 

• Like 4

Sharbuckle
3 hours ago, metrokat said:

October FTS

Reefer350_Oct2019.jpg

Tank looks great. Those Palys are freakin huge! 

• Like 1

metrokat
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

I think it's very similar to how anyone would post comments/advices on forums.  When other people find those comments useful, one become an influencer.  But in social media, pictures and videos are becoming the means of "proving" your point.  But often times of late, it's just "what you have" as given by sponsors because you have a big following - not what you truly know about the hobby.    

Let's use you as an example. I certainly picked up some good tips from you.  You're my influencer in some ways, shaping my view on the common hobby methods.  Sometimes I just want to know how the man behind the advices is doing with his own tank.  If I were you, I'd start a tank journal to show your level of success, in addition to pointing others to go to your blog which is nice that it's full of research-based knowledge.    

The whole topic of who is truly an influencer is a whole different can of worms.  There are a bunch of Instagram accounts with pretty pictures, gained massive followers.  But are they all truly influential in a good way?  Are all of these influencers being good stewards of the hobby?  One guy put a hippo tang in a Lagoon 25 and is very famous - I never followed him, but many do. Should that guy even get sponsorship or be featured by a major retailer?     

@metrokat, sorry to jump on this influencer tidbit, some of them just don't seem right to me.  But I'm glad you're giving more attention to the reef again finally.  and the tank looks nice - empty (for a Kat's tank), but still nice.  Time to stock up. 

You make good points and much of your observations are correct. Social media has been a game changer for every industry, along with the good also comes the bad. That's true in anything right?

As for me, this post about the recent tank troubles has received 233 likes, 35 comments, and was viewed by almost 1600 people on my Instagram. It also posted on FB with additional 23 likes and 13 comments/questions.

Compare that to the same post here on my thread. Yes, ifbi was more active I would get more engagement here on the forum, no doubt. 

My journey in reef keeping is very well documented on this forum since my first build which was graced with a TOTM. Just click any of the icons in my signature. These days the journal has moved to social media. It's just how it is. 

• Like 4

metrokat
3 hours ago, seabass said:
  • What was your phosphate level prior (when dosing LC)?
  • Are you also carbon dosing this tank (ZEOvit or something else)?
  • Nitrate level?

The corals will be responding to the new phosphate levels.  So it will be hard to separate effects caused by stopping LC vs a higher phosphate level.

Hi Seabass. PO4 before LaCl used to hover around 0.36.

I am not carbon dosing but my recent Triton DOC test said I should stop dosing carbon. Ha. It possible that I am introducing it via something else, I'll have to look into that.

Nitrates used to be equally high but I can't recall. My corals aren't brown, both NO3 and PO4 while sky high are still in balance. Redfield ratio and what not. 

I stopped LaCl many months ago and the Phosphate has been steadily rising to 0.95.

Currently I'm at 0.75 and the corals are super fluffy and continue to recover. 

1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Tank looks great. Those Palys are freakin huge! 

They are enormous!😆 

• Like 4