SaltCritters.com

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

This Tank is Amazing, for sure!  But for the love of god, please do get those crooked cabinet Doors fixed ?? My OCD would not let me sleep at night with those doors?

• Like 5
43 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Oh my goodness, I need to be there.

How much work was it to get all of the wall things to line up, though?

I impressed myself, didn't take very long to put them up. I did sit on the idea, had the pictures for about a week before deciding what to do with them. 

• Like 2

Kat where do you target your nitrates to be? I finally got some after mounts of no trace of it in my tank and my corals seem to be much happier!

• Like 1

Came back to NR and the whole freaking layout of the site has changed. What hasn't changed is your ability to scape. 

Tank is coming along very nicely!

What kind of PAR is that orange passion sitting under currently? I'm about to move the RR Canada OP off the rack and onto the rock work, so interested in seeing where you have it placed. :)

• Like 1

I'm not getting notifications for my thread, I understand the new software won't email me with every message but I'm not even getting a daily summary for my own thread. So my apologies for delayed responses.

17 hours ago, Ebn said:

Came back to NR and the whole freaking layout of the site has changed. What hasn't changed is your ability to scape. 

Tank is coming along very nicely!

What kind of PAR is that orange passion sitting under currently? I'm about to move the RR Canada OP off the rack and onto the rock work, so interested in seeing where you have it placed. :)

Thanks EBN. Frag rack PAR is on the previous page I think, I'll check it in a second.

19 hours ago, Groot said:

Kat where do you target your nitrates to be? I finally got some after mounts of no trace of it in my tank and my corals seem to be much happier!

I should measure this week, the last time I measured they were high compared to phosphates so I was dosing MB7 and reefbiofuel (carbon) to bring them down. I like nitrates to be between 1-5ppm.

23 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How's the rearrangement of coral coming along? Everyone happy with the new flow now?

I re-glued some frags yesterday. I'll post some pictures. Thanks for asking.

@Ebn okay my reading says 210 for the frag rack. 

• Like 1

This is the current placement of corals. The top shelf is getting small edits mostly to the sides. The middle of the top shelf has the least flow which is why the clam is there. Playing with the settings on the dual gyre to see what works. So far anything that is non-constant speed allows less flow on the top shelf so I am seeing the fishes swimming up there. Before this only the clowns would salmon-upsteam themselves to cuddle with the gonippora and the Springers damsel who likes to live in the Katropora.

32395638293_e09cbaa80f_k.jpg

• Like 10

Juu has moved his princely self to the right side of the tank. I saw a post on R2R - someone had built an epoxy tunnel with the side open for their shrimp/goby pair and placed it along the glass for easy viewing. I made a similar tunnel for the 2 very small hifin gobies that hang around Juu. Well, they didn't care for it then I pushed it somehow under the zoa rock and Juu wasn't having it! He snapped it at all day yesterday and I saw that he has moved himself to the other side of the tank this morning. :)

The one Anthias is hanging out behind some rocks today - that has in the past signalled a slow decline int he fish IMO, I hope I'm wrong. He's been with me 2 years.

Went to Pratt Institute for a coral trade with Randy Donowitz last week. The tanks there are great, the reef is of course amazing. Always wanted a Horrida after seeing it in @markalot tank. So I finally got a piece. :wub:

33168910856_0aae430fd6_h.jpg

On the right side I was a bit ruthless and cut off the $500 Efflo. (Don't panic, that's just the name) and glued my SSC in it's place. Crowned my the Kittiyagi. I think the color combo on this side is good now.

33168907796_85396a48f0_h.jpg

• Like 7

In other news, Bogi now has more food aversion days than eating days. I can't express how upset it makes me, we go through 8-10 different foods every day. Sometimes I get lucky and he will eat some. He still continues to show a preference for dry treats and I indulge him although it makes him more constipated than is possible. And that leads to litter box related meows. I tried Hemp CBD for nearly 3 weeks and it did not help him other than ease his arthritis pain (which is great) but I really just want him to eat. I emailed my vet asking for medicinal CBD, and I have to hope that she can prescribe it and I can get it. Hemp CBD is extremely pungent smelling. Putting it in his food or in his mouth creates more aversion to food for him than possible. So I was rubbing a drop of it in his ear once a day. I stopped it completely 2 days ago - I hope I did the right thing. 

We had a water shut down a couple of days ago and I filled up some buckets of water for that day. 

32827932020_bb69fc935a_c.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried to wet the dry treats? similar to the way you soften food for kittens? 

Tank looks good, and I like what I see for how you scaped this odd shape of a tank. Can I suggest you move the Rock Flower nem to the other side of the gorg?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

You have my number if you need anything over the weekend Kat, M and I are here if you need us.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Boggers said:

Have you tried to wet the dry treats? similar to the way you soften food for kittens? 

Tank looks good, and I like what I see for how you scaped this odd shape of a tank. Can I suggest you move the Rock Flower nem to the other side of the gorg?

He won't care for it then. But yes I have. He loves the treats as is, crunchy. I give him a few at a time because he will inhale it and then he will throw up. 

The rock nem has to be moved to the right side rock base. The sand gets blown with the gyres right now so I have a branch dong thingee there trying to prevent that from happening. Plus the shrimp just moved himself there today. Waiting and seeing.

2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

I hope Bogi feels better :( And I hope the vet's able to help!

Yeah, me too. Thanks.

Sorry about your kitty.  Have you tried canned sardines?  Mine loved sardine juice over his food.  It was the only way we could get him to eat. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Sorry about your kitty.  Have you tried canned sardines?  Mine loved sardine juice over his food.  It was the only way we could get him to eat. 

Thank you, I'll try it. He's on Whisker lickin's right now. :D And he just ate the sauce from fancy feast sliced chicken and tuna feast.

I got some other foods just now and salt free human tuna in a can from Trader joes. 

• Like 2