Pod Your Reef

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

• 2 weeks later...

I was telling Benny just now that I have a curious observation about the cyano in my tank. Getting a lot of it but as the day goes by, at some point the deep red colored crud becomes bubbly, like it is getting oxidized - it becomes clear with very big bubbles and then disappears. Quite strange. My guess is that the light spectrum has something to do with it. If I get a chance I will take pictures at various times to document it. My light levels change throughout the day and this happens towards the evening.

On 4/16/2017 at 11:17 PM, metrokat said:

Nitrates are high, Phos is okay. Alk is good, calcium and mag are low.

Working on the nitrates.

Fighting the nitrate war myself. Let me/us know what you end up doing. :)

• Like 1

Pretty things!

Aren't you using those Xport blocks?  Shouldn't they be reducing your nitrates?  Maybe try the bigger Marinepure version :P - it may have more low-O2 zones for denitrifying bacteria due to the larger volume.

• Like 3

Tank is still beautiful :wub:

Any chance it's got to do with the bubbles showing up in the front? Maybe your sandbed is particularly good at denitrification and I need to pick up some fiji pink?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nola Bear said:

Fighting the nitrate war myself. Let me/us know what you end up doing. :)

Threw in some Xport NO3 cubes yesterday. I'll measure nitrates in a day or so although it is a bit early to show results.

2 hours ago, holy carp said:

Pretty things!

Aren't you using those Xport blocks?  Shouldn't they be reducing your nitrates?  Maybe try the bigger Marinepure version :P - it may have more low-O2 zones for denitrifying bacteria due to the larger volume.

:slap: don't be sassy. I have a bio plate which should have a lot of the bacteria I need. I noticed my sump has a lot of detritus, a cleaning is in order.

My filter socks get super dirty super fast, there is no doubt that I feed a lot. 

2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Tank is still beautiful :wub:

Any chance it's got to do with the bubbles showing up in the front? Maybe your sandbed is particularly good at denitrification and I need to pick up some fiji pink?

Thanks. No the cyano is on the top shelf, mostly in the middle where there is less flow, although in some areas with a lot of flow I can still see some. Who knows. The oxidization happens to the cyano that is exposed to the light only however, not everywhere. 

RIP Sebastian

Fun Fact!

Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest multicellular organisms on the earth. They also don't use chloroplasts to carry out photosynthesis.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Fun Fact!

Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest multicellular organisms on the earth. They also don't use chloroplasts to carry out photosynthesis.

And how is your little old 4-legged grouchy man?

StinkyBunny

It seems to me that cyano doesn't like red light Kat. It REALLY doesn't like trying to outfeed the ATS I have installed. I have 2 6500K bulbs over one of the fish systems and no cyano, the one with the 10k bulbs, HOLY SHIT, cyano for miles, lol.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It seems to me that cyano doesn't like red light Kat. It REALLY doesn't like trying to outfeed the ATS I have installed. I have 2 6500K bulbs over one of the fish systems and no cyano, the one with the 10k bulbs, HOLY SHIT, cyano for miles, lol.

Both systems have an ATS? Maybe it is the growth rate of the 6500K vs 10K?

RIP Sebastian
2 hours ago, metrokat said:

And how is your little old 4-legged grouchy man?

Oh! He's still a grumpster. He's doing his thing. I'll be worried when he stops eating, which won't happen anytime soon. Thanks for asking. How's Bogi?

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
1 hour ago, Boggers said:

Both systems have an ATS? Maybe it is the growth rate of the 6500K vs 10K?

Yep, the ATS are on both systems, but they're just getting started up. The ATS are illuminated the exact same way, same pump and same photoperiod. The only difference is the tanks lighting, one is 10k, the other 6500k. It's going to be interesting when the ATS get going full bore.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

That would make sense since cyano is red, it would just reflect any red spectrum. Well, to be more accurate, it's the reflection of the red spectrum that makes it red.

as for the rest, it'll be difficult to judge against an ats. Cyano can, when it needs to, produce its own "food". That's why starving it out doesn't always work.

• Like 3