Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

27 minutes ago, metrokat said:

Tyree Pink Lemonade

34147258692_f7c563a2f8_b.jpg

I miss my colony of it, mine was pretty yellow iirc. Good thing i quoted the image, page bump lol.

• Like 4
StinkyBunny

If I could figure out how to get the damn eggs from the Yellow Watchman gobies I'd be in business. They must hide them like 1/2 way across the tank under the rocks in the cave, miserable little so and sos. I know they're guarding eggs right now because they lit up the Purple tang last night when he started poking around the tunnel entrance.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, markalot said:

Your signature does not have a link to this thread.  Even if you don't have a picture at least put a link in! :)

How is Ernie?

Okay, done. :)

Ernie is enjoying his forever home with @NYfishies

They send me pictures :)

33560541123_68bc0a3e76_b.jpg

He's a bold little guy, always out of his cave pigging out on food. Bert the shrimp comes out of the burrow a lot too. 

• Like 7

In tank news. Algae reactor is online. My nitrates are very high so the chaeto should enjoy growing. This AquaMaxx reactor has been pretty effective for a lot of people and is quite simple so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do for me.

33560597773_6d8c6490d5_b.jpg

• Like 6

Nitrates down from 34 to 5 in 2 weeks. No water changes, using Brightwell XPORT NO3 cubes in a media bag.

LPS has been pissed too, could explain why.

Stalked the tank with a UV flashlight.

34212808922_52a7e01796_b.jpg

• Like 13
TJ_Burton
On 5/1/2017 at 11:35 AM, metrokat said:

Nitrates down from 34 to 5 in 2 weeks. No water changes, using Brightwell XPORT NO3 cubes in a media bag.

LPS has been pissed too, could explain why.

Stalked the tank with a UV flashlight.

UV Flashlights show all kinds of cool color you may not have previously known was there! It is pretty amazing. Even a simple red and green brain coral can show rainbows of yellow and oranges swirled into the mix under a UV light :)

Can't wait to see more of your corals under UV!

• Like 4
On 5/1/2017 at 11:35 AM, metrokat said:

Cheato reactors FTW!B)

Just now, Rehype said:

Cheato reactors FTW!B)

Agreed. The NO3 came down with the Xport cubes though. Going to test it now after the reactor has been online 5 days. Chaeto just exploded in growth. Let me post a picture.

• Like 2
mitten_reef
12 hours ago, metrokat said:

Left to Right.

4 days growth. Day 1. Day 1.

33647129423_110fc200c3_b.jpg

Nature's doing its thing, wow. 

Do you have to keep the algae reactor's light on 24/7 to reduce the potential of CO2 imbalance (therefore pH) when all the algae decides to "exhale" if the light's not on?

• Like 1

Been a tough 2 days, sorry for being MIA.

I was in the ER with my cat till 1 am today. He's fine, and it's exhausting to think about everything but what is important is that he is fine. His steroids need to be cut back, they are causing fluid retention and issues in that realm. Ultrasound was inconclusive except for some slight fluid accumulation around his bladder. He peed himself on the ride home and that freaked him out even more. But he's a brave brave kitty.

My computer has been acting up since yesterday and I spent the afternoon at the Apple genius bar and my hard drive is failing. I am married to this computer so I am quite upset. Work is lagging because of it. My head is exploding. My phone is exploding with unanswered messages.

Sorry if I haven't answered tags and comments. Haven't had a chance to catch my breath and I think a really stiff drink. Or three. Are needed. 

• Like 6

I just pulled the trigger on a new light from Dave yesterday. I wasn't anticipating needing a new computer and ER expenses as well. The doctors in the ER are really just glorified assistants. Bogi's regular doctor called me and I just wish I had access to her all the time. Such a difference between a senior experienced vet and others. 

Anyway. I was fervently praying Bogi didn't need surgery because at this age I am not putting him through that. So my prayers were answered. I really am grateful.

• Like 5
Mariaface

Many drinks are needed :(

I hope Bogi gets better after all that stress! And I hope your computer makes it, or the files can be recovered!

On the other hand... New NB light? :wub:

• Like 1

In tank news, got a little Blenny. He is net caught and is from the same company that I bought the captive bred Yasha. So they shipped him and a replacement porcelain crab. 

I'm not sure if the Blenny is a lawnmower or a starry. He was listed as both! And he has changed colors to be black, or gray, or even striped! He's still settling in of course. I'm home now so he looks like a Starry right now.

Thanos the Royal Gramma is on the decline, he's rather old. I thought I lost him when I couldn't find d him yesterday but he came out today. He looks really beat up.

• Like 1