Innovative Marine Aquariums

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Hope you had no issues from the storm. We only had a few power flickers here North of Orlando, which is surprising for the apartments I live in. We've lost power due to sunshowers before.

Our power never even flickered, which is odd, because normally my coop that provides power is pretty awful when it comes to losing power. It did make me think a lot about a contention plan for keeping pumps and such running. I am working on getting both an IceCap battery backup and a CoralBox Powercell and will be doing a comparison of the two over the next couple of weeks.

jedimasterben

Stand by generators have come way down in price. Might be worth looking into.

They have, but they're still BIG bucks and won't be able to run one of the most important parts here in the south, the AC, any better than a much cheaper standard generator will. Battery backups will do the trick for the short term, and we do have a decent sized (I think it's a 3kw) genny available if needed a longer term solution. We can run our well pump, fridge, and stuff in the tanks without much effort. My two tanks at their peak usage with the lights at their full settings only pulls around 200-225 watts total, so plenty of capacity left for fridge, a small window AC that we can set up in a pinch if we need it, and standing fans and such :)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

So the clown goby is eating LRS as of today. This is literally the first yellow clown goby out of nearly a dozen or more that I've tried to keep over the past five years that has ever eaten anything, so my hopes are starting to go up for this little dude.

• Like 4

So the clown goby is eating LRS as of today. This is literally the first yellow clown goby out of nearly a dozen or more that I've tried to keep over the past five years that has ever eaten anything, so my hopes are starting to go up for this little dude.

Great news, im rooting for the little guy.

• Like 1

The tank looks awesome! I'm still sad about your fishies. But I'm glad you have the sole survivor.

You go to prove my theory that LA clams suck ass.

I took my wife and daughter to a local reef show, and told them they should each pick one coral. Pacific East Aquatics was the first thing we came to, and my wife's first question was "for my coral, can we get one of those blue maxima clams?" They were gorgeous, and huge, and only $80.

I was sad to tell her that the 40g is not mature enough yet. But she has great taste :wub:

My very first fish was a YCG and he never ate a thing. I've never tried one since. I'm glad you finally got one that's eating!

• Like 2

Did you ever figure out why you DC pump failed? My jebao dc 2000 just crapped out on me this morning. They have already sent me a replacement so this is the second failed pump. :( Eric at fish street has always been good about warranties. I'm just starting to think the small DC jebao return pumps are really poor quality.

jedimasterben

Did you ever figure out why you DC pump failed? My jebao dc 2000 just crapped out on me this morning. They have already sent me a replacement so this is the second failed pump. :( Eric at fish street has always been good about warranties. I'm just starting to think the small DC jebao return pumps are really poor quality.

Replaced the impeller and she started right up and no trouble since, stinkybunny was spot on. I haven't had a lick of trouble out of any of the pumps with normal impellers, though. Might just be the design of the tiny ones.

Bought some stuff from divers den. Oops.

• Like 3

Replaced the impeller and she started right up and no trouble since, stinkybunny was spot on. I haven't had a lick of trouble out of any of the pumps with normal impellers, though. Might just be the design of the tiny ones.

Bought some stuff from divers den. Oops.

With your wife's credit card? :D

jedimasterben

Nice picks! What are the last two?

A pearly jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons) and a sailfin blenny (Emblemaria pandionis). Two Caribbean fish that are awesome, and the blennies are friggin hilarious. I wish they had more of them, they're very territorial between each other and open their mouths super wide to show off who's bigger, they flare their fins and try real hard to look scary.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

You are going to love the radial filefish btw, the pair I have are amazing

I've had six of them so far. I've had four jump, one got sucked into my skimmer after traveling down to the sump, and the last one my wife killed. They're super cool little dudes.

• Like 1

I've had six of them so far. I've had four jump, one got sucked into my skimmer after traveling down to the sump, and the last one my wife killed. They're super cool little dudes.

?

• Like 1

Why are people still 'saving' money buying the Jaebo crap? It's great to hear the warranty does not seem to be an issue but the fact is failure of a critical piece of equipment can wipe out a tank. Just don't do it.

Of all the Jaebo's I purchased my WP25's are the only ones left that work. First generation was great, and cheap, everything else seems to be crap. :(

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Why are people still 'saving' money buying the Jaebo crap? It's great to hear the warranty does not seem to be an issue but the fact is failure of a critical piece of equipment can wipe out a tank. Just don't do it.

Of all the Jaebo's I purchased my WP25's are the only ones left that work. First generation was great, and cheap, everything else seems to be crap. :(

I dunno - why did you? :P

• Like 2

Nice DD pickups Ben :).

Did you have to order a replacement impeller for your skimmer pump from Fish Street? Was it the entire impeller or just the pin wheel? I'll be ordering a DCT-4000 and probably a DCS-2000 from them shortly to have on hand as spares but can't find replacement impellers for the skimmer pumps on the website. Might have to shoot them an email.

• Like 2

I dunno - why did you? :P

I stopped after multiple failures with the next generation of pumps. I'm not sure what happened but their quality control is now crap with just about everything having multiple unsolvable issues. I'd still like to know how an RW15 can just up and die, as if the the cord broke. Motors are pretty simple so it must be a wiring issue of some sort.

• Like 2