SaltCritters.com

Deeper Well - An Acquasole 60

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Unfortunately I found the purple tang dead yesterday. No clue what the cause was - they're parasite magnets, but had no external symptoms, which typically means they're not taking the fish over and overwhelming it. Oh well.

Unfortunately I found the purple tang dead yesterday. No clue what the cause was - they're parasite magnets, but had no external symptoms, which typically means they're not taking the fish over and overwhelming it. Oh well.

Sucks about the tang. It was eating and everything right? Weird.

jedimasterben

Sucks about the tang. It was eating and everything right? Weird.

Voraciously. I could understand if it was weak and not eating, but this is just strange. Maybe internal parasites. But I didn't want to start praziquantel just yet since it is an appetite suppressant. gah.

So I think I'm just going to get one of these cabinets to hold my topoff container and electronics. Drill some holes in the back to run cables and shit through. http://www.homedepot.com/p/ClosetMaid-34-75-in-H-x-24-in-W-x-15-25-in-D-White-Laminate-1-Door-and-1-Drawer-Base-Cabinet-12285/202942569

• Like 2

how were you able to get all the fish out of the tank????

I had similar thing happened to me before where there's a slimy film at the surface. No idea what caused it. I had plenty of surface agitation. Was running carbon and stuff. I just kept changing filter floss, did a couple of water changes, and it went away. Hope yours isn't anything seriously bad.

how were you able to get all the fish out of the tank????

I had similar thing happened to me before where there's a slimy film at the surface. No idea what caused it. I had plenty of surface agitation. Was running carbon and stuff. I just kept changing filter floss, did a couple of water changes, and it went away. Hope yours isn't anything seriously bad.

The only thing I had to worry about was getting stung by the rabbitfish, even dead I didn't mess around with those spines.

Gonna change carbon when I get home, wasn't able to get to it last night. My skimmer pump is dead, on top of that, so if it was something airborne like I think then hopefully not too much of it is in the water. The leathers and gorgonians were a little closed up, but nothing major, so it looks like whatever was mostly affecting the fish.

Sounds like a dramatic decrease in dissolved O2.... It would effect things with a higher metabolic rate (fish)

Definitely possible with my skimmer having been out of commission for a few weeks now. Supposedly a new one is on the way, but haven't heard back from the place I got it from.

Ammonia can cause bacteria to make a film on the surface.

Have never heard of that before. Typically when there is enough ammonia present and the bacterial films are replicating too fast, the entire water column becomes cloudy. I have always had excellent bacterial filtration and have never seen free ammonia spikes even with large fish deaths like this, but pretty much anything is possible. I did not check the ammonia alert badge I have in the sump.

Very sorry about the fish. :(

I would not think a skimmer failure would lead to dangerously low O2 levels unless the tank was being treated for cyano or was completely covered. I hope you figure out what it was.

Cheap skimmer and a failed DC motor, the problem seems to be fairly common. Might pay to keep some kind of el cheapo airation (stone or something) around just in case.

Can't find the waspfish. Orange male clown looks fine, as does the watchman goby and radial filefish, female black clown has super cloudy eyes and is still breathing super heavy after changing carbon and adding a whisper 60 with limewood airstone a few hours ago. Yay for a nearly full fish kill. Everything that is left did eat well, but I guess that doesn't really mean anything.

Several leathers are all shedding at once, and three of them all detached from the rocks they were attached to, which I've never seen before. Then again, I've also never had this problem before.

I did finally get everything moved into my new side stand holding the ATO tank and got the ATO hooked up, filled up, and put four teaspoons of kalk in it. Ants are gonna be in for a big surprise if they decide to try and get a drink from that tank :D

Damn reading this sucks ass.

Sounds like your tang had Ebola. :lol:

Your brain is way bigger than mine and I have had a few full tank die offs that made no sense. Hopefully you figure it out.

What's your water params :lol:

The tank didn't have the film on top today, and I took the stupid scent diffuser things off yesterday, so more and more it is making me think they were to blame. My wife was just like 'oh. whoops. didn't think about that.'

The tank didn't have the film on top today, and I took the stupid scent diffuser things off yesterday, so more and more it is making me think they were to blame. My wife was just like 'oh. whoops. didn't think about that.'

How close were they? My wife has them about 10 feet away from the tank.