Pod Your Reef

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

I'm a beginner, just purchased a Nuvo 25 lagoon. I want to take this build slow and do it right so I figure I'll upgrade the pump right away. Looking at either the Sicce 1.0 or 1.5. Which would be the better choice for this size tank and rear chamber?

mgsullivan24

I'm a beginner, just purchased a Nuvo 25 lagoon. I want to take this build slow and do it right so I figure I'll upgrade the pump right away. Looking at either the Sicce 1.0 or 1.5. Which would be the better choice for this size tank and rear chamber?

I currently use the 1.5, excellent pump and great flow in the display. It is also adjustable for if you need to choke it back a bit.

• Like 1

2 eheim 600's... you will never consider anything else, that's a fact

• Like 2
n0rcal2wheeler

I was interested in possibly getting a 25 lagoon, was wondering is a single mp10qd and xr15pro gen3 a good fit for this tank? also any recommendations on other stands for the tank?? What heater watt do you use?? i currently have a nuvo 10 fusion in my work cubicle and want this tank possibly for something at home.

you might not need or want the extra flow

lighting should be good depending on what you keep/ where in the tank (just lookup the spread on it)

stand options are diy, the JBJ stand, vanity cabinet, the list goes on.. or, one of these http://www.framexpert.com/solutions/racks_and_cabinets/fish_tank_aquarium_stand/

but, just like everyone else, you will want to modify everything starting with the return pump (which is the only single thing about this tank that sucks ass IMO)

we all have plenty of builds going, check em out

flatlandreefer

What is everybody running in their filter caddies? So far I have only one caddy, I have filter floss and carbon in it. I am thinking of adding another caddy so the entire turnover of the tank runs through filtration.

I only have the filter floss baskets, but put new floss in every 2 days because I feed heavy..

also have a tunze 9001, media reactor (gfo/carbon), and recently added a HOB aquafuge (for pod propagation)

I have zero problems anymore

I add tons of microalgae to the tank, feed a lot of kelp, feed mysis 2 times a day

do a 3-4 gallon wc every week/ week and a half

I have 3 massive emerald crabs, a bunch of babies

1 ultramaxima

1 2-3" abalone

3 sexy shrimp

1 fire fish

1 tricolor wrasse

1 goby

1 bicolor blenny

1 blue stripe pipe

1 cleaner shrimp

6 hermits

2 large nassarius w 6 smaller ones

1 conch

and about 2 other various snails

I also have 0 bristle worms now

3 rock flowers, 1 carpet

acans

birdsnests

duncans

zoa's

hammer

favia's

I also stopped testing the water, other than salinity maybe once a week

along with the equipment, I attribute a clean tank to lots of copepods, and literally 100's of brittle micro stars that crawl out from everywhere at night

also, I use reef crystals... and had a more stable tank after switching from coralup (I think) but, my tank is by no means the cleanest, sexiest, lowest maintenance tank on the forum.. but we definitely enjoy even the ups and downs with it..

oddly, it seems like tanks get to a point where they expect "x" at a certain time.. having a routine that you stick to, will lead to a tank that expects that routine, and adjusts to it

in the first months I dealt with cyano, diatoms, hair algae, caulerpa that I stupidly put in the tank... but it's now stocked and stable for months

so now for a question... what other equipment do you have, and why do you feel you need it? have you changed something? or want to?

any adjustments I make are really very minor, and I wait to see a change before I do another one

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got anything new going on with their tanks any new changes, upgrades done, new additions.

Haven't posted up my tank on here yet so,

I run stock return with an mp10, one filter sock and one inTank basket and desktop skimmer. In the media basket I run floss on top which is changed out once or twice a week, AF phosphate minus and AF Carbon in a media bag changed once a month. I also run a media bag with zeolites in it for now until I get a reactor for it. Above the tank is an ATI 4 bulb fixture running 2 KZ Superblue, 1 ATI Actininc, and 1 KZ New Generation as well as an AI Prime just to add shimmer and extend the viewing period.

I just picked up a few frags in a live sale and they will be here later this afternoon. Currently I have some SPS, acans, zoas, some ricordea and a hammer. Here is a quick top down photo of the tank, I might post one up later when the new frags get settled.

IMG_2892%201_zpsu3kkfraj.jpg

• Like 4

Haven't posted up my tank on here yet so,

I run stock return with an mp10, one filter sock and one inTank basket and desktop skimmer. In the media basket I run floss on top which is changed out once or twice a week, AF phosphate minus and AF Carbon in a media bag changed once a month. I also run a media bag with zeolites in it for now until I get a reactor for it. Above the tank is an ATI 4 bulb fixture running 2 KZ Superblue, 1 ATI Actininc, and 1 KZ New Generation as well as an AI Prime just to add shimmer and extend the viewing period.

I just picked up a few frags in a live sale and they will be here later this afternoon. Currently I have some SPS, acans, zoas, some ricordea and a hammer. Here is a quick top down photo of the tank, I might post one up later when the new frags get settled.

Are you dosing any of the zeovit products or just AF.

How do you like it and is it a pain to get the correct doses for a small tank

I haven't really been running it long enough to compare. As for the dosing it is actually extremely easy because the instructions are per 100 liters which is around 25 gallons so I just dose the recommended. The only thing different I do is less Phosphate minus and add some pellets randomly because I dont have any fish right now

If youre interested, there are quite a few threads about Aquaforest on Reef2Reef. Maybe I'll start up one on here because I know a few people use some of the products. If you look also at previous tank of the months, Bunster runs AF components 1+, 2+, and 3+ as well as zeolites and his tank is pretty rad

I haven't really been running it long enough to compare. As for the dosing it is actually extremely easy because the instructions are per 100 liters which is around 25 gallons so I just dose the recommended. The only thing different I do is less Phosphate minus and add some pellets randomly because I dont have any fish right now

If youre interested, there are quite a few threads about Aquaforest on Reef2Reef. Maybe I'll start up one on here because I know a few people use some of the products. If you look also at previous tank of the months, Bunster runs AF components 1+, 2+, and 3+ as well as zeolites and his tank is pretty rad

Yeah man that would be great I was thinking zeovit but it looks extremely complicated. If this is a better option I would love to read up on it.

Hey guys looking at ATO should I go with the Smart ATO or the Smart ATO micro and will it work on the back glass with it being black and not being able to see through it for with the light sensor.

I have the micro and it works flawlessly

the sensor goes in the tank in the back

I would suggest making a clip to hold the "fill" hose better though.. I made a clip out of .06 kydex.. works great

somewhere i'm sure i have one..

i just have it close to the pump chamber, and up above the last flow barier.. you will want the water level up higher than IM recomends in their instructions..

the amount of flow will also dictate water level in the back chamber.. no worries, you won't screw it up

but, a word of caution.. I shut mine off when I leave for work and also at night simply because I currently have a giant Abalone (that will go to the LFS when I can catch him in the sand) that can run across the outflow and cause a low water level in the back, which dumps a lot of FW in the tank

also, if snails get in the back and crawl over the sensor they will kick it off

I also have the fresh water line slightly above the water line, so that if it dumps all the water in, it will also siphon it back out instead of filling until it empty's all over the place

Anyone have a good picture of how high you keep your water level with the ATO in the back chamber? Lagoon 25

Lol, looks like a good answer to my question is in the post above mine :rolleyes:

my skimmer height really dictates where my ato sits.. just need to balance it out with the amount of flow you run as well

mine sits 1/2 inch to 3/4 above one of the middle chamber baffles

I noticed the skimmer performance changes drastically with changes to the water height, I'm running an IM ghost, so it sounds like I'm going to have to play with it a bit to find the balance.

Anyone know if the cobalt neotherm needs to stay completely submerged? I've got mine in the middle chamber currently.

I noticed the skimmer performance changes drastically with changes to the water height, I'm running an IM ghost, so it sounds like I'm going to have to play with it a bit to find the balance.

Anyone know if the cobalt neotherm needs to stay completely submerged? I've got mine in the middle chamber currently.

the neo needs to be submerged to the top of the dial..

this answer came from cobalt aquatics fyi

mine is also in the back

Also just got 2 AI Prime HD's with the 12" mounts will this be far enough off the waters surface for a shallow tank. I plan on running a mixed tank and I don't want to burn up the LPS.

• Like 1