Innovative Marine Aquariums

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25 Owners Thread

jjwukasch

• 2 weeks later...

So got my 25 guys what are you guys using as far as filters, and media. Im using it as a qt until my 100g is stocked but i will upgrade the pump, running a primehd over it. Was seeing if you guys have a filter sock on one side and basket on the other or what? Was thinking filter sock on the right. Media basket on the left with carbon and filter pads

flatlandreefer

So got my 25 guys what are you guys using as far as filters, and media. Im using it as a qt until my 100g is stocked but i will upgrade the pump, running a primehd over it. Was seeing if you guys have a filter sock on one side and basket on the other or what? Was thinking filter sock on the right. Media basket on the left with carbon and filter pads

I am running filter floss and carbon in caddies on both sides so all the water goes through he same thing. Socks are a pain IMO.

• Like 1

I've got filter floss and Chemipure Blue running in caddies on both sides in the first filtration chambers. In the secondary filtration chambers I have Brightwell Aquatics Xport Cubes (basically, ceramic rocks to beef up my biological filtration). I am only doing soft corals, though; if I were doing all stony corals I'd have the ceramic rocks in the third slot for my InTank filtration caddies, and use one of the secondary chambers for a skimmer and the other as a small refugium.

I've got filter floss and Chemipure Blue running in caddies on both sides in the first filtration chambers. In the secondary filtration chambers I have Brightwell Aquatics Xport Cubes (basically, ceramic rocks to beef up my biological filtration). I am only doing soft corals, though; if I were doing all stony corals I'd have the ceramic rocks in the third slot for my InTank filtration caddies, and use one of the secondary chambers for a skimmer and the other as a small refugium.

Ya i plan on putting a skimmer but not a refugium dont think the small size of it would be beneficial enough. Thanks guys

• Like 2
flatlandreefer

Do both of you use the intank media baskets?

Yes, they work well and fit perfect. The nice thing about filter floss vs sock is it is cheap enough that you can toss and replace it whenever needed and it takes about 30 seconds.

I also just bought a small gravel vac off amazon for less than $10 and it works really well to clean leftover detritus out of the bottom of the chambers, I have also started using it instead of my bigger gravel vac for water changes because it gets under the rocks and wreaks less havoc than the bigger one.

NewbReefer316

Yes, they work well and fit perfect. The nice thing about filter floss vs sock is it is cheap enough that you can toss and replace it whenever needed and it takes about 30 seconds.

I also just bought a small gravel vac off amazon for less than $10 and it works really well to clean leftover detritus out of the bottom of the chambers, I have also started using it instead of my bigger gravel vac for water changes because it gets under the rocks and wreaks less havoc than the bigger one.

Do you have a link for the gravel vac you got? I need to do a deep clean on my tank.

So I have the intank basket and the intank floss holder, Im running Matrix in the middle chamber of the basket, and floss on top. Also running floss on the filter floss holder, But I have this problem where the floss gets clogged in ONE night and the water just goes over the baskets and down the side of the baskets. Anybody know how to fix this? Im sick of having to change my floss every day...

Im also running a Chinese box LED, 165w full spectrum. The whites are on for 5 hours and the blues are on for 7. The whites are at 10% and the blues are at 75% and things are bleaching... The whites dont go any ,ower they just turn off... Theyre about 16 inchees over the water.. Im confused on what to do,

flatlandreefer

Do you have a link for the gravel vac you got? I need to do a deep clean on my tank.

It is called Lee's mini economy gravel vaccum. I got it on amazon for $6.59 with prime shipping, works great!

31vpfx04buL.jpg

So I have the intank basket and the intank floss holder, Im running Matrix in the middle chamber of the basket, and floss on top. Also running floss on the filter floss holder, But I have this problem where the floss gets clogged in ONE night and the water just goes over the baskets and down the side of the baskets. Anybody know how to fix this? Im sick of having to change my floss every day...

Im also running a Chinese box LED, 165w full spectrum. The whites are on for 5 hours and the blues are on for 7. The whites are at 10% and the blues are at 75% and things are bleaching... The whites dont go any ,ower they just turn off... Theyre about 16 inchees over the water.. Im confused on what to do,

You might try not packing it in so tight and using less floss? I change mine once a week.

I thought mixing up sand like that would create a mini cycle or cause nitrates to rise. I would love to clean the sand in my 100g I actually have a little hand pump vacuum too.

I had a serious problem with running two intank media racks in both sides. The level in the back would not balance out with the display and my ATO would continue to pump fresh water in constantly. It never overflowed but was extremely close. It may be due to the fact that I am running two Sicce 1.5 return pumps in the back and the rate of overflow to the back couldn't keep up with the return. I removed one media rack and went back to the sock and haven't had a problem again.

How hard was that to swap out? I don't want my tank sitting to long when I get ready to do it. Thanks in advance.

I went with one adjustable sicce pump and I've actually had to turn it down. It's very small and quiet if anyone is in need of more flow but less space and cords. It's been running for like 10 months now without a hiccup.

I have one of these on order right now and wonder about lights. I have one of those 165W MarsAqua china specials I picked up a while back cause it was priced right!

It seems like it might be a bit much for this tank though...at least from what I have read here and there. Alternatively I was thinking about a pair (or three) of these instead. Thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E27-54W-1UV-12Blue-6White-LED-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-High-Power-Fish-Tank-bulb-Lamp/32373446292.html?s=p

I have one of these on order right now and wonder about lights. I have one of those 165W MarsAqua china specials I picked up a while back cause it was priced right!

It seems like it might be a bit much for this tank though...at least from what I have read here and there. Alternatively I was thinking about a pair (or three) of these instead. Thoughts?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E27-54W-1UV-12Blue-6White-LED-Coral-Reef-Grow-Light-High-Power-Fish-Tank-bulb-Lamp/32373446292.html?s=p

I have a chinese fixture over my lagoon as well, Despite what people say i had ONE of these over a 29 gallon and I was growing montis, hammers, torches, zoanthids.. I bet 2 would look fantastic over these tanks...

https://www.amazon.com/Coral-Compulsion-Par30-Vibrance-Light/dp/B0099UINTM/ref=pd_lpo_199_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WTTZQZRHCB7CZVGY4J9V

I have a chinese fixture over my lagoon as well, Despite what people say i had ONE of these over a 29 gallon and I was growing montis, hammers, torches, zoanthids.. I bet 2 would look fantastic over these tanks...

You talking about the E27 bulbs or the 165W mars aqua fixture?

flatlandreefer

I thought mixing up sand like that would create a mini cycle or cause nitrates to rise. I would love to clean the sand in my 100g I actually have a little hand pump vacuum too.

If it hasn't been part of your regular maintenance routine start by vacuuming a small area of your sand bed each water-change until you cover the whole thing. If you keep up with it there isn't much to worry about. I get a lot of crap out even when doing it every week, I focus on my low flow spots. Never doing this can lead to "old tank syndrome" after years of buildup and if you have a deep sand bed it can be a time bomb once after years of build up, one stir will release years of trapped nutrients.

I had a serious problem with running two intank media racks in both sides. The level in the back would not balance out with the display and my ATO would continue to pump fresh water in constantly. It never overflowed but was extremely close. It may be due to the fact that I am running two Sicce 1.5 return pumps in the back and the rate of overflow to the back couldn't keep up with the return. I removed one media rack and went back to the sock and haven't had a problem again.

That's a ton of flow through the rear chamber! What's the goal of adding a sicce as a return pump, seems like there is adequate flow for filtration with the stock pump?

flatlandreefer

Will the Cad Lights PLS-50 ELITE fit the lagoon 25 ? Also interested to hear if the Eheim Jäger heaters fit these chambers as well?

Jagers fit perfectly, I am running two 50w in mine they both fit in the same second chamber.

If it hasn't been part of your regular maintenance routine start by vacuuming a small area of your sand bed each water-change until you cover the whole thing. If you keep up with it there isn't much to worry about. I get a lot of crap out even when doing it every week, I focus on my low flow spots. Never doing this can lead to "old tank syndrome" after years of buildup and if you have a deep sand bed it can be a time bomb once after years of build up, one stir will release years of trapped nutrients.

That's a ton of flow through the rear chamber! What's the goal of adding a sicce as a return pump, seems like there is adequate flow for filtration with the stock pump?

You literallly just pump it and thats "vacumming" dont actually take it out right? Ive never done it. And i have a about a 3 inch sandbed in my 100g i just setup

flatlandreefer

You literallly just pump it and thats "vacumming" dont actually take it out right? Ive never done it. And i have a about a 3 inch sandbed in my 100g i just setup

I'm not sure what you mean by pump it. The gravel vac i am talking about is a small diameter length of flexible hose with a bigger diameter of ridged hose on the end of it, like a python water changer. You don't want to suck up very much sand just the dirty water full of detritus.