Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter
6 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

hey, hey, so it is settled that 300g is becoming a reef then?  BIG CONGRATS on all fronts: the future LARGE reef, the successful semester, and the summer intern. 

Pending before I get final grades, but it looks like we’re doing it. My parents, especially my dad, really wants a reef. My tank is in my room haha. I have it budgeted out in Excel- not cheap. I told them that the only condition for me managing the 300 a reef was that it needs nice equipment to make maintenance easy. Apex, proper lighting, new sump, flow, skimmer, etc. 

(My tank would stay up)

@micoastreefing we were interested in a getting a Red Sea/Waterbox style rimless tank, but the largest display is 210 gallons which would be a pretty big downsize. 

• Like 3
HarryPotter
1 hour ago, Asureef said:

Looking good! 

Jealous you can keep anemones.  

I love them :)

jK5UBTR.jpg

jhCSwrJ.jpg

The grafted montipora is finally coming out with some green!

kQ3Ow4n.jpg

A side view

8f3l2WI.jpg

Purple bonsai has become gorgeous, although its pretty far back in the tank

trz8rZ5.jpg

Typical milli extension :) 

MY6UEO1.jpg

The frag rack is still growing, although I have like 5 frags of that coral LOL 

w5VPe4t.jpg

Not sure what this is- @markalot?

vpnCHR7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 4
mitten_reef
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

CcYBp4S.jpg

are those 3 varieties of millie's? is the orange one also a millie?  I wish I could keep milleporas. I tried once with Palmer Blue, probably should not be the first millie to try, haha.  

HarryPotter
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

are those 3 varieties of millie's? is the orange one also a millie?  I wish I could keep milleporas. I tried once with Palmer Blue, probably should not be the first millie to try, haha.  

Yessir, it’s the millipora garden. I have two other types of  millipora on the rack, but haven’t seen good growth tips yet so they’re not to be mounted for a while. 

I find  red millipora to be a tank. I crush it’s tips all the time when cleaning the glass, and a few days later I see new corallites forming. 

It’s funny- my original red milli frag was a tiny nub that broke off a maricultured colony during international shipping 😂. While unpacking the shipment (when I worked at PerfectCorals) I asked to try to grow the frag.  The colony RTNd at the store, yet the frag loved life. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Not sure what this is- @markalot?

vpnCHR7.jpg

Pretty!  Hopefully you can get it to grow and see how it ends up.  Could be red, could be red and yellow, could be very light blue.  My little pale blue with pink blush acro that took forever to color up has been tabling, like a monti with little stems.  

HarryPotter
12 minutes ago, markalot said:

Pretty!  Hopefully you can get it to grow and see how it ends up.  Could be red, could be red and yellow, could be very light blue.  My little pale blue with pink blush acro that took forever to color up has been tabling, like a monti with little stems.  

I meant the species- someone said it might be a deepwater variety or a microlados? It was from RAP- has been coloring up in the last month. Its not like any acropora I have. 

One more question (sorry to bug ya). Is the almost white branch on the OP something to be worried about?

NTnQEwV.jpg

HarryPotter
6 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

jhCSwrJ.jpg

The RFA rock cleaned up nicely, everyone looks a bit brighter too!

The key was feeding them 😂. Once I started to feed them, they tripled in size and covered any algae growth! 

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I meant the species- someone said it might be a deepwater variety or a microlados? It was from RAP- has been coloring up in the last month. Its not like any acropora I have. 

One more question (sorry to bug ya). Is the almost white branch on the OP something to be worried about?

NTnQEwV.jpg

No, not in my opinion.  You have some corals I have never been able to grow, so I can;t really offer advice ... other than not to kill them.  :D 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

The key was feeding them 😂. Once I started to feed them, they tripled in size and covered any algae growth! 

What do you typically fed them?

1 hour ago, HiImSean said:

I'd imagine typical frozen food. Mysis, silversides, blood worms, table shrimp, clams, etc. 

its what I feed my lps 

• Like 1
HarryPotter

2 hours ago, HiImSean said:

Ive been spot feeding frozen mysis. I feed mysis, a frozen variety pack, and reef roids. 

• Like 2
HarryPotter
2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

For some reason, this piece reminds me of the BC Bellicose.... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bc-bellicose-trobairitz.350124/

I wonder what it will look like as it grows out!

Thats funny because I see almost no similarity besides the mango-ish color 😆 The corallites are super distinct on that one. This one looks to me like a deepwater acro, or perhaps microlades. That is assuming the growth continues like this, and the corallites are not just currently stunted 

What gets me are the bluish polyps, cyan body and the red/yellow corallites. If your lower polyps start turning red and it starts looking like a bellicose, feel free to send me a frag 😜

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
HarryPotter

@markalot picked up a discount bottle today at a swap- interesting, no? Potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, sodium nitrate.  

GliTej3.jpg

Also so picked up a pretty milli- sunset horizon or something silly.

JwP2rAY.jpg

• Like 3
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350