inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

18 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

‘Oi! Don’t be hating on my nems!

Since I started to feed them and they have doubled in size, I kind of like them again. There is still a bit of algae on that rock but it’s going away over time. I think I will start gluing (green) yellow tort frags there, as that is my fastest grower and would be a cool experiment. 

More annoying is that center-right bubble tip, which forced me to remove the frogspawn colony. I HATE mounting colonies... PITA.  I would like to the nem off and ship it to JBB with his upcoming SPS pack. It’s gorgeous: insanely vibrant red with perfect bubbles, but it wasn’t supposed to go there! What do you think of it’s location, if I were to hide the frogspawn behind main rockwork. 

@Travis @teenyreef since starting the ATI part 3, I am seeing an explosion of coralline. I haven’t had significant coralline growth in ~1.5 years, yet all the sudden it’s appearing everywhere. That is with 3ml concentrated (diluted 30ml) daily. I need to get an alkalinity test to see if that will effect my (stable) alkalinity...

Any idea what your levels were before you started? 

:lol:.  But seriously...I've always admired @teenyreefs Monti Caps and have even talked to him about getting some of his frags. Supposedly they are good beginner SPS, but I would feel terrible if I killed one of your beautiful frags. What an opportunity though...I need to go back and check out your racks again. Do you think anyone at reefapalooza will be selling those fancy racks that you have.

HarryPotter
45 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

:lol:.  But seriously...I've always admired @teenyreefs Monti Caps and have even talked to him about getting some of his frags. Supposedly they are good beginner SPS, but I would feel terrible if I killed one of your beautiful frags. What an opportunity though...I need to go back and check out your racks again. Do you think anyone at reefapalooza will be selling those fancy racks that you have.

Okay, you’ve got Christmas Montipora, Red Montipora, Green Montipora, Montipora Digitata, 

Anything else? Want to try an acro just for the heck of it? 

As you may be able to tell, I enjoy sharing corals haha. One of the best parts of the hobby is growing out a colony and giving away parts of it to other reefers to enjoy and grow themself!

No idea re: racks. Usually some vendor will be selling them though!

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Okay, you’ve got Christmas Montipora, Red Montipora, Green Montipora, Montipora Digitata, 

What is this difference in these besides color?

32 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Want to try an acro just for the heck of it? 

I currently have a blue cali tort that doesn't grow anything but algae on the plug! An ORA pink birds nest that shows little if any growth. And a blue Pocillipora that sometimes looks great (blue), but most of the time looks more red/brown. I plan to look at lighting for a IM 20 Abyss peninsula that I've been putting off setting up so everything could eventually go in there. What Acro would you suggest?

HarryPotter
50 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

What is this difference in these besides color?

I currently have a blue cali tort that doesn't grow anything but algae on the plug! An ORA pink birds nest that shows little if any growth. And a blue Pocillipora that sometimes looks great (blue), but most of the time looks more red/brown. I plan to look at lighting for a IM 20 Abyss peninsula that I've been putting off setting up so everything could eventually go in there. What Acro would you suggest?

48 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Oh yeah, and if I'm getting stuff, might as well throw some of those pretty little Sunny D's in! PM me about cost.

The plating montiporas all grow the same, flat like a plate, the difference is the color. The Digitata I mentioned is a branching type of montipora. It’s like an wanna-be acro ? 

Let’s try green slimer acro for sure, and maybe a random extra. Fast growers and pretty hardy. So it’ll end up being around 6-7 frags :) 

No cost, I gotcha ? just need a phone number so we can meet up at the event.

If I have the time I’ll design and print a quick frag rack that fits into a round Tupperware so it’s easy to transport them all together, and that’ll be more stable. 

Just made a quick design, Ill print this so its easy to bring you 7 in a standard tupperware. You can also use it as a temporary rack, tho the SPS should be placed relatively high. Fits my .8" plugs with .43" stems. :) 

ANzXbkI.png

• Like 5
HarryPotter
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Where did you find it for $32?

That is the 3d slicing software for my printer. It is telling me that it will take 10.79 meters of the plastic filament, 32g, which costs me 32 cents. $.32. NOT 32 dollars. 

HarryPotter
2 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Where did you find it for $32?

That is the 3d slicing software for my printer. It is telling me that it will take 10.79 meters of the plastic filament, 32g, which costs me 32 cents. $.32. NOT 32 dollars. 

18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Harry Potter is a young old school reefer. Well done :)

Who you calling old, grandpa?!?! :D

1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

OMG! Why do you have a 3D printer.

HarryPotter
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

OMG! Why do you have a 3D printer.

Because it is amazing... I can literally print anything I can imagine, design, or download for dirt cheap.:D

HarryPotter
20 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

That really is very coolB)

It got me thinking about how I could design a locking mechanism for the plugs. Like a thin plastic tab that is put under tension when you push the plug in... ?

Will try a few tests for proof of concept and then reprint the rack. You know, to figure out what thickness for the tab; it needs to be thick enough to provide resistance yet not so thick that it’ll be hard to push the plug in. Maybe I won’t print the final one in poop-brown ?

You can see how a nerd like me is absolutely fascinated by 3D printing. I can go from an idea to proof of concept to final product, for super cheap and with very high precision. And the printer itself is around $200; it was definitely a great purchase for me. 

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350