SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter
21 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

20 G is the amount of water I need every two weeks too, hmmm.  I'm being duped!  I thought smaller tank will go through less water!  :lol:

I use the 20g for monthly water changes. I go through 10g a week in ATO too :) 

21 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

20 G is the amount of water I need every two weeks too, hmmm.  I'm being duped!  I thought smaller tank will go through less water!  :lol:

This guy is extra salty

Well that number sounds about right 

I burn through roughly 30-50gal a week for my 750.. I didn’t realize you had that much evaporation 

52 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

On 4/11/2018 at 10:54 AM, micoastreefing said:

They do. I go through 6 gallons every month. 4 for wc's. And 2 for top off. 

On 4/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, HarryPotter said:

This guy is 10/10 my favorite! Appears to be slightly darker, but its not time to raise that rack yet. 

bnmoytn.jpg

I can't tell 100% from that photo, but does that guy look like this guy?

40614288251_bc74869291.jpg

If so, do you know wtf it is, cause I've been trying to figure out the identity of my piece.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
21 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Sweet B) My original grafted piece is re-coloring up. 

tH7fZC6.jpg

You were looking to get the grafted sunfire type at RAP, did you find it?  Or was that the one you said the seller sold out. 

HarryPotter
33 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

You were looking to get the grafted sunfire type at RAP, did you find it?  Or was that the one you said the seller sold out. 

Seller sold out ???

HarryPotter
6 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

I can't tell 100% from that photo, but does that guy look like this guy?

40614288251_bc74869291.jpg

If so, do you know wtf it is, cause I've been trying to figure out the identity of my piece.

Cant tell, your polyps are closed. I usually recognize em by orange polyps as opposed to the typical white or brown. 

16 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Cant tell, your polyps are closed. I usually recognize em by orange polyps as opposed to the typical white or brown. 

Nope not the same coral then. Mine has green polyps.

HarryPotter

So I got a new Alk checker delivered, but the provided solution expires in two months- before I use half of it. Should I contact the distributor, or does it not matter if it was sealed? Usually when I buy the solution they have a shelf life of a year and I don’t have to worry abou it.

tanacharison
18 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

So I got a new Alk checker delivered, but the provided solution expires in two months- before I use half of it. Should I contact the distributor, or does it not matter if it was sealed? Usually when I buy the solution they have a shelf life of a year and I don’t have to worry abou it.

If its a Hanna I would be shocked if they did not replace it.

HarryPotter
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

If its a Hanna I would be shocked if they did not replace it.

Well it’s just the reagent not the checker; should I ask Hanna or the reseller? It’s still sealed.

4 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Well it’s just the reagent not the checker; should I ask Hanna or the reseller? It’s still sealed.

Ask Hanna, I’m pretty sure they will send you a free one.  

I have ave one bottle that’s about to expire in 2 months as well, but it’s still accurate compared to my newer bottle.  

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

So my alkalinity is 6.8.... Das low?  Whats odd is that it seems to mostly precipitate when I add alk solution. 

Yeah, that’s quite low.  Although, I would get a 2nd opinion or if you have another test kit you can test it against.  6.8dkh with Hanna means .2-.4dkh lower with salifert, that’s been my experience anyways.  Make sure your calcium/magnesium are within range as well.  

HarryPotter
3 hours ago, Asureef said:

Yeah, that’s quite low.  Although, I would get a 2nd opinion or if you have another test kit you can test it against.  6.8dkh with Hanna means .2-.4dkh lower with salifert, that’s been my experience anyways.  Make sure your calcium/magnesium are within range as well.  

No Ca :( just Alk and Mg! 

I asked MD if expiration mattered, they checked with Hanna- who said  “probably not” . I was fie and reassured, but MD still credited me for a bottle of reagent :o 

HarryPotter
26 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Probably not? :wacko:. Hooray for @Marine Depot

I think the "probably" is because it SHOULD BE totally fine if sealed, but they don't want be responsible for results obtained using old reagent. I believe most chemicals properly sealed in dark containers and stored in reasonable temperatures stay good a long time. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter
1 minute ago, mystersyster said:

Have you noticed slowed growth rates lately? Wondering how long your alk had been that low. 

Ive noticed it in the green millipora; lately it has had zero growth, even after I frag it. The cut area heals flat with no new branch. However the colors are awesome so im not exactly sure. I upped dosing from 40ml to 50ml of the Alk/Ca. Will check again today :)

• Like 3
HarryPotter
On 4/17/2018 at 3:59 PM, HarryPotter said:

So my alkalinity is 6.8.... Das low?  Whats odd is that it seems to mostly precipitate when I add alk solution. 

Today (after adjusting yesterday from 40 to 50ml) it is 7.2. So thats a .4 increase in DKH across 24 hours. 

I dont like frequent testing, but I think my dosing was pretty off so I will monitor daily until its stable again. 

• Like 1
HarryPotter

@markalot, I was thinking of taking 

the dkh to 9 and holding there. That’s what it used to be. Is .4dkh/day a reasonable rate of dKh rise, to go from my 6.8 up to 9?  I know by this point you are the Kh expert of NR!

I don’t have a Ca test, but am just matching it with my Alk dosing since it’s a recommended 1/1 ratio. Plus, I never hear of a problem of “High Calcium”. Mg is holding steady with ATI part C.

tanacharison

When I switched from BRS 2pt to AF 1,2,3 I experienced the same issue. I’m testing alk every other day and slowing increasing my dosing.

HarryPotter
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

When I switched from BRS 2pt to AF 1,2,3 I experienced the same issue. I’m testing alk every other day and slowing increasing my dosing.

I got your box BTW! Adding a frag rack so I can start organizing and get you WYSIWYG :) 

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350